Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Feature request: Calibre Multi user/device access

First, right off the bat, I just like to say Calibre is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is mature, stable, and does whet it is designed to do extremely well. Better in fact then most other programs I use.

Kovid.

That said:

My guess is this has been asked from time to time but I'd just like to add another brick on the wall.

It would be nice if the Calibre database could be accessed by more then one user/computer at a time.

I have my database on one of my slowest computers as the server seems to perform OK there, and the web access is slow anyway. But I like to edit the database (via Calibre proper) from my fastest computer which is the one I generally sit at.

I understand this is bad to alter the database via the network, so I have been using a remote desktop to run Calibre on my slow machine and that is, well, slow.

I think multi user access could be implemented by having a Database Server Engine (DSE) on the computer with the database, and all other programs (Calibre, Content Server, etc...) alter the db via the DSE similar to the way Quickbooks handles multi user access.

You could use sockets, or maybe another IPC (inter process communication) method. Basically, change all reads/writes from/to the database to socket requests and the single DSE handles them in some kind of order.

This would eliminate the issue of one user altering the database without another user knowing about it and corrupting the database.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for listening,
Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FYI - https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e/srv/TODO.rst
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It isn't that simple, the problem is not just concurrent access to the db, the problem is that when client A changes something, all other clients have to somehow update their views of that something as well. To do so in a manner that is both acceptably performant and semantically correct is very far from trivial.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
One way to handle the use case in the first post, server on one computer, update on another, is to simply copy the calibre library. After editing/adding books on the fast computer, copy the whole library over to the server, replacing the old library. Possibly using a sync app to make it faster.

That way you can access the calibre library from both computers and have a backup as well.

Treat the backup on the server as a read-only copy.

You could have two copies on the server to avoid writing to the calibre library when the server is running. One copy that the server is using. One copy that is updated from the fast computer. And update th copy the server is using when the server is (re-)started. Perhaps using some scheduler? Or a "trigger file" added when the backup is updated.

Last edited by Adoby; 06-09-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Adoby:

I tried your idea (copy lib, edit lib, stop server, copy back, start server) and it works as expected. My lib is about 5GB, so it takes a while to copy.

Of course, I had to rename my old original lib to something else, then copy the new so folders that got changed didn't create duplicates.

It occurred to me just now (while writing this) I could use a syncing tool to only update the changes. (Make the changes, stop the content server, sync the folders, then restart the server.)

Great idea.

Kovid:

I do have an understanding of, and some experience writing, multi user access to database and saying it isn't trivial is a bit of an understatement.

Getting the clients to update in real time is the best approach but also the most complex. Simpler is to detect a change to the database and require the user to reload it but that isn't as much fun.

Calibre is very mature and quite stable. Most new features will become more and more complex as the simpler bugs get worked out.

I was just thinking next time you are bored, you know, when you have a few weeks of free time on your hands and don't have to make a living or anything like that. (Damn, it sure is easy to ask for a big change to a free program.)

Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It could be a fun little project to automate this.

On the workstation:

Add some commands to the script that start calibre to also update a copy of the library on the server, when you exit calibre. Could use a sync app over the network.

On the server:

Run a script every 10 minutes or so. Check if a new update has arrived. If so, turn off the calibre server and update the library being served. Start the calibre server again.

You may need some semaphore files, some atomic renames and perhaps some extra copies of the library to make sure it is clean and safe.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote