Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #526
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I misread the above as "Empire of the Wine," and I was anxious to buy it. Then I re-read it and changed my mind.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 PM   #527
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I misread the above as "Empire of the Wine," and I was anxious to buy it. Then I re-read it and changed my mind.

I hate when that happens! The stuff I make up by mis reading and mis hearing is always far more interesting than what was actually said.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #528
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:

Perhaps "Empire of the Whine" then?

I attached a Unicorn (=One) image so you got a second chance.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #529
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Perhaps "Empire of the Whine" then?

I attached a Unicorn (=One) image so you got a second chance.

Argggh! That brings back a world of bad jokes that I unsuccessfully used while in my teens!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #530
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I saw the cover and said no way. A bad cover is a killer for a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #531
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I saw the cover and said no way. A bad cover is a killer for a book.
So you are one of those people who judge a book by it cover, you sure do miss out on a lot of good reads.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #532
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
So you are one of those people who judge a book by it cover, you sure do miss out on a lot of good reads.

bernie
There are a lot of books out there to read. Why bother wasting time on a book with a rather bad cover (Photoshop gone wrong) from an unknown author?

Have a look at this blog and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-01-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #533
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Penguin Books edition of John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids is currently down to £1.99 at amazon.co.uk.

Cheapest price to date according to eReaderIQ, and unlike the Rosetta Books edition it shouldn't have any bits missing.

I know... always read the user reviews first

Quote:
When a freak cosmic event renders most of the Earth's population blind, Bill Masen is one of the lucky few to retain his sight. The London he walks is crammed with groups of men and women needing help, some ready to prey on those who can still see. But another menace stalks blind and sighted alike. With nobody to stop their spread the Triffids, mobile plants with lethal stingers and carnivorous appetites, seem set to take control.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #534
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Marko Kloos "Frontline" series is reduced on Amazon. The first three are $.99, four and five are $1.99. Worth a look if you like military science fiction.
tch65721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #535
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Marko Kloos "Frontline" series is reduced on Amazon. The first three are $.99, four and five are $1.99. Worth a look if you like military science fiction.
Most of them are also on Kindle Unlimited and I recall borrowing SOME of them,
and enjoying them very much (There's more books in the series than I recall!) But KU doesn't remember which books you've borrowed the way it remembers which you've bought! Now I've got to figure out which I've already read!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #536
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Various on Amazon.co.uk:

Daily Deal:
Melissa F Olsen: Midnight Curse (Bk 1 of Disrupted Magic) at 99p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_i=1000577623

Monthly Deals:
Maria V Snyder: A Taste of Darkness (Avry of Khazan Bk 3) at 99p (the other 2 books are also 99p)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taste-Darkn...6345990&sr=1-7
(The full series: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ies_rw_dp_labf)

Raymond E Feist: Magician (Riftwar Saga Bk1) at £1.49
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magician-Ri...6345990&sr=1-9

Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash at £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Crash-...345990&sr=1-10

Adrian Tchaikovsky: Children of Time at 99p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Ti...6345990&sr=1-1

Bernard Cornwell: Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles Bk 2) at £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enemy-God-A...6345990&sr=1-5
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #537
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
There are a lot of books out there to read. Why bother wasting time on a book with a rather bad cover (Photoshop gone wrong) from an unknown author?

{. . . }
Because it's a freebie and a mid series entry?

The Image I copied may not help but it's one of the better covers in the series.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pam-Uphoff/...t_pop_ebooks_1

Pam Uphoff is a Mad Genius

https://madgeniusclub.com/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #538
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that when the cover looks like Photoshop barfed, a lot of people won't read the book. I'm one of them.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #539
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
The Penguin Books edition of John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids is currently down to £1.99 at amazon.co.uk.

Cheapest price to date according to eReaderIQ, and unlike the Rosetta Books edition it shouldn't have any bits missing.

I know... always read the user reviews first
What's missing from the Rosetta Books edition?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #540
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: -- Home is where the RV stops (Texas ~6 months/year)
Device: Kindle Fire HDX, Fire HD, Paperwhite,Android & Windpws phones
Quote:

Have a look at this blog and you'll see what I mean.
Well, I agree with you about 50%. A bad cover makes we check the book with excruciating care, and even then second-guess whether to buy it or not. Usually, I won't buy it unless I have a really good recommendation from someone I trust, or a very high curiosity based on something unique in the summary.

A good cover can actually seduce me into a purchase with little checking (and sometimes buyers remorse after starting to read it).
LJJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote