Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
bookbrain
bookbrain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Software that provides FULL text search

Hello everyone!

Long time reader of this excellent forum.

I have over 9,000 PDFs inside Calibre. I love the software but there are some serious limitations for searching. I need to be able to search within documents instead of relying on keywords manually/autofilled for each document.

Any suggestions? I prefer Open Source (free) but am willing to pay any amount needed for a Windows or OSX program that can do this.

Thank you!

-Alexis
bookbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Hi Alexis,
half an hour ago i installed on my macbook recoll

that accoording to its website is a full-text search tool for Unix and Linux desktops.
Seems to do the job with both pdf and epub, even though the first pdf indexing is taking forever :-)
It will tell you which books and for every book, at which page.

Googling for "recoll alternative" seem to find other programs for window.
Hope it helps
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbrain View Post
Hello everyone!

Long time reader of this excellent forum.

I have over 9,000 PDFs inside Calibre. I love the software but there are some serious limitations for searching. I need to be able to search within documents instead of relying on keywords manually/autofilled for each document.

Any suggestions? I prefer Open Source (free) but am willing to pay any amount needed for a Windows or OSX program that can do this.

Thank you!

-Alexis
@bookbrain - Windows Search and OS/X Spotlight will both index and search PDF's - you might want to install one of the enhanced PDF IFilters on Windows from Adobe, Foxit or Tracker XChange

On Linux you could use Recoll, there's a Linux only PI that integrates Calibre and Recoll, you could probably create or enhance to make it work on OS/X.

I use a Notepad++ macro and the Import from List PI to create a Reading List of the Windows Search Results. It shouldn't be too hard to do similar for results from Spotlight

There are also pdf library tools mainly aimed at academia - Mendeley, Zotero and Citavi come to mind - there's calibre PI that hooks up with Mendeley

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-18-2014 at 07:20 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote