Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook unveils E Ink cover for Samsung Galaxy S4

Send books to the display from an app on the device and change pages with the volume control.

Quote:
So if you want to catch up with a marathon session of "Fifty Shades of Grey" without caning your phone's battery or knackering your eyes, the PocketBook could be worth a look. Made by e-book-builder PocketBook, the case talks to an app on the phone, where you store your e-books. You take an e-book stored on your phone and zap it to the e-ink screen, turning pages with the volume key.
Link: CNet

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-06-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a pretty cool idea, but the screen should be on the outside, not on the inside. The way it is now, you have to be looking at (and using) both screens.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
That's a pretty cool idea, but the screen should be on the outside, not on the inside. The way it is now, you have to be looking at (and using) both screens.
What he said. Fairly pointless unless you can use the e-ink screen without also having to activate the main screen.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it can be used with the the main panel off, thats the point. i suspect having it on the inside is precautionary- you dont want it getting all scratched defending the main screen. off course it folds completely back to back
Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it can be used with the the main panel off, thats the point. i suspect having it on the inside is precautionary- you dont want it getting all scratched defending the main screen. off course it folds completely back to back
I kinda get that, but I often put my reader (and my phone even) down on a table, and prop it up against something to read. And this way it'd be screen down, if you flipped the cover all the way around.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hands on from Slash Gear...

http://www.slashgear.com/pocketbook-...s-on-05296633/

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Is that aluminum/metal they're using as the front? And WHY?!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Is that aluminum/metal they're using as the front? And WHY?!
It looks like it is. The only guess I have is they need a thin yet fairly rigid frame to hold the fragile eInk screen and decided that was the way to go.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
I kinda get that, but I often put my reader (and my phone even) down on a table, and prop it up against something to read. And this way it'd be screen down, if you flipped the cover all the way around.
You could prop it against something soft.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks better after having watched the SlashGear piece, but I think it's frankly too limited and has too much of a beta-version feel to it. If it takes off we'll undoubtedly see better implementations than this one.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmmm, I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand, I am all in favor of reducing the number of gadgets that I carry in my pockets every day. On the other hand, the e-paper screen size is way too small for my needs. What is it? 4 inch? The S4 comes with a 5 inch display but that add-on E Ink screen is definitely smaller.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
To answer my last question: It's a 4.8 inch screen.

Quote:
Next generations of CoverReader are planned to be developed for use with smartphone brands such as Samsung, HTC and Sony

PocketBook CoverReader is a brand new unique device. A thin and light flip cover for smartphones with an integrated electrophoretic display (EPD) - one of the most significant gadget innovations of the year - will be shown at IFA 2013 in Berlin.

Now, at last, reading on smartphones becomes comfortable on the eyes with a daylight readable integrated E Ink screen.

CoverReader can be easily mounted on Samsung Galaxy S4 and allows favourite books to be read, as well as browsing documents, emails or web articles on an eye-safe E Ink screen. Additionally, missed calls and received SMSs are displayed on it.

This second generation CoverReader will use Plastic Logic's flexible EPD product; the 4.8" display will be manufactured in the company's Dresden facility. This new display has a range of benefits - such screens are flexible, shatterproof, ultra-thin, ultra-lightweight, power saving and daylight readable.

According to Enrico Müller, Sales Manager of Pocketbook Readers GmbH, CoverReader is a highly anticipated product on the market, that is why the company plans to expand the line of smartphone CoverReaders for such brands as HTC, Sony, and Samsung.

Indro Mukerjee, CEO Plastic Logic said: "We are excited to be working with Pocketbook on a number of projects and this smart mobile accessory application is a market segment with huge potential, for which our technology is ideally suited."
Emphasis mine. Official press release
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Interesting that its one of Plastic Logic's displays... or will be. Also just saw a concept on youku of a version for ipad mini
Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I think it's an interesting concept, actually. A little gimmicky and geeky, but intriguing nonetheless. Does the S4 have volume controls that are easy-going? If they are as ornery as on the N7 or my iPad, they may not make such great page turn buttons.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
To answer my last question: It's a 4.8 inch screen.
4.8" is actually very usable, at least in my experience. I read a lot on my Xperia Arc S, which has a 4.3" screen, in waiting rooms, cafés, on park benches and so on. It won't do as a main reader, but for an auxiliary one it's a fine size.