Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #3151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Helpful reminder: don't cross-post, it's more likely to get you ignored that anything else.

(Also, it's highly frowned upon in general).

xref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=204

Which, bonus points, happened to have an actually useful log excerpt, unlike this one .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:09 AM   #3152
serdar0020
Zealot
serdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura One limited ed. 2017-32 GB + Kobo Clara 2E 2022
another pdf problem not encountered before: I OCR'd the pdf myself with Adobe Acrobat DC2019 (60 MB, with pictures). The pages are too wide to read them even in landscape, so I switched to text reflow. Every 20 page or so a paragraph's font turns minuscule, and sometimes even lines are mixed up. Could this be due to low RAM or processor of my Kobo? I'm on KoReader 2019.12 - screenshots
Spoiler:

Last edited by serdar0020; 01-11-2020 at 01:13 AM.
serdar0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:05 AM   #3153
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
That's definitely a curious effect, but the cause seems fairly straightforward. Due to the way the text lines up perfectly the algorithm seems to have misinterpreted it as two columns. By default it scans the middle third of the page for column gaps, and within that zone it seems to have found some.

If you're already using tools on your computer it's more expedient to just throw https://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/overview.shtml into the mix. The same program provides functionality for KOReader, but by using the GUI or the command line you can tailor it in much more detail and much faster. (Use max columns: 1.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	columns.png
Views:	199
Size:	613.4 KB
ID:	176330  
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:39 AM   #3154
serdar0020
Zealot
serdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheese

edit: the column is gone, but the minuscule text remains

Spoiler:

after running my entire 573 pp. pdf through it, the processed output pdf is now 169 MB, 1460 pp. This is not what I want for my book archive. Rather a perfectly OCR'd pdf, book layout, 1 column, correct font sizes, that is faithfully transmitted in KOReader reflow. K2pdfopt is good if you want to quickly read a text on your reader and then delete it. But thanks for the tip

Last edited by serdar0020; 01-12-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #3155
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you select native PDF output it might be smaller, which may also load faster on a device.

I'm not really sure what the deal might be with the small text. Maybe @NiLuJe knows?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #3156
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No idea, I kind of have a hate/hate relationship with PDF ^^.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #3157
serdar0020
Zealot

I ran the two pages through AbbyFineReader12 and now it's ok in K2pdfopt.
Spoiler:

my only problem is, AbbyFinereader compresses the pdf too much (I think it's MRC compression) and then my Kobo has trouble opening the file, I've posted something about it earlier.

edit: I've been experimenting a bit more with the OCR functions of Abby and K2pdfopt, but I couldn't manage to get a proper reflow text of the book on my Kobo

Last edited by serdar0020; 01-12-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 AM   #3158
Frenzie
Wizard

I suspect the small text might indicate that k2pdfopt interprets that block as an image. But I don't see an obvious reason for it like with the columns. A lot of noise/speckling might cause that, for example, but there is none. There's some minor warping but nothing that seems like it should be problematic. Nevertheless it might be worthwhile to quickly try the autostraighten option in k2pdfopt.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #3159
serdar0020
Zealot

auto-straighten didn't help either, unfortunately
Old 01-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #3160
Biep
Enthusiast
Biep began at the beginning.

Device: Tobo Touch 2.0; Kobo Aura One
Since October or so the update feature in KOReader (on Kobo Aura One with KSM) no longer works for me. Whenever I try to update, I get "Update information unavailable on XX channel" (or rather the Dutch equivalent of that). I just dumped the latest version of KOReader in .adds/KOReader, but the problem persists.
Any ideas how to solve that?

Thanks a lot in advance, and thanks for a wonderful reader!

I can't post a reply, so let me try here:

Before updating manually, no channel/server combination worked - trying from many different WiFi hotspots. Nickel updated without problems.
After manually updating I had tried both channels, but only the vislab server, which didn't work.
Both links you give are intermittently accessible - sometimes I get there; sometimes I get "server not found". (You call them 'mirror', but the visual lay-out is not the same, BTW.)
With ota.koreader.rocks I got somewhere - the update was consistently offered, but then failed, with first a three-way option (retry, delete temporal files, keep temporal files), and upon retrying a two-way offer (keep or delete temporal files).
With koreader.ak-team.com I finally was able to update - though it took a > 15 min zsync delta computation.

Thanks!

P.S.: Almost 100% of the attempts lead to a "torn screen", a triangular white area, often covering the pop-up window with the failure message/update offer.

Last edited by Biep; 01-15-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Biep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #3161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Biep: On which channel, and on which server?

Can you actually access any of them from the same network? (master: http://ota.koreader.rocks/ // mirror: http://koreader.ak-team.com/)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #3162
Biep
Enthusiast
Biep began at the beginning.

Device: Tobo Touch 2.0; Kobo Aura One
See above.

For some reason I kept getting "Cannot post message because you have logged in since accessing the page" or something along those lines. I now find I can post a very short message, and then edit it.
@NiLuJe - I answered you below my original message above.

Last edited by Biep; 01-15-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: To get my message in.
Biep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #3163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The vislab mirror is in China, and I've personally never ever been able to access it .

(Even when @chrox was still active, I could only extremely rarely access it, and with downright terrible transfer rates (i.e., sub kB)).

I've vaguely considered commenting it out, but it may still be kept up to date, in which case it's useful for Chinese users. But I have no way to check that .

TL;DR: Don't use that one .

----

http://ota.koreader.rocks is the master, but it's behind a CloudFlare CDN, which has been known to screw with zsync in some circumstances.

http://koreader.ak-team.com is my own mirror, it's a physical dedicated server, hosted in France, but with somewhat limited bandwidth. Provided you have decent peering to it from your current location, it should behave okay w/ zsync.

----

I've almost never seen refresh glitches on the OTA popups, but I did saw a couple recently in a very specific range of versions, for some mysterious reasons. Haven't seen any since.
As usual, it's pretty sensitive to timing and ambient temperature, so, eh, who knows ;p.

----

I also keep a couple ObjectStorage-backed mirrors in sync:

http://koreader-fr.ak-team.com in France
http://koreader-pl.ak-team.com in Poland
http://koreader-na.ak-team.com in Canada

But those are commented out, because zsync can't handle the quirks of an OpenStack HTTP frontend.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-15-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #3164
Frenzie
Wizard

As an aside, https://perfops.net/ping-from-china can't ping vislab.bjmu.edu.cn and it tries from Beijing, Hohhot, and Shanghai. In the past I was able to access it (albeit slowly; I think traffic from China is throttled at 30 kB/s or something :P) so I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #3165
makara
Connoisseur
makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KA1, KLH2O, Oasis 3
On the latest version 2020.01, the menu items "Autosuspend timeout" and "Autoshutdown timeout" disappeared. Version for Kobo and for Kindle.
makara is offline   Reply With Quote