Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #16
Lykke
Connoisseur
Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Lykke has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Sounds like something you should return and get a new device. It's expensive after all, shouldn't have these issues. I assume you've tried a complete factory reset from the settings menu, just to be sure.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #17
Markismus
Fanatic
Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.

Device: PB740-2, KoboAuraH2O, KoboGlo
I agree, reluctantly. Question is whether I should get the same model of device.

It’s a nice ePub reader and a reasonably nice PDF reader. I like how the notes app is set up. Only drawbacks there are the limited length of notes before the window start displaying it improperly and the slowness of responding to words for highlighting/ taking notes.

However, the random crashes are a problem. It doesn’t bode well for the long term durability of this device.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #18
MciMc8
MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Hi -- I am still having problems with the batteries in my Inkpad 2 == right you have the new one. I threw away the cover I had because I think the problem is that if the reader goes into sleep mode it gets stuck there. I just replaced the battery I replaced the original with as it seems to be stuck in sleep mode as well. The new battery returns the reader to proper working condition. If you turn your unit on and it won't stay on, will only run with a charger connected then it seems that you have essentially the same issue I have. By cover I mean the folding cover to protect the ereader which has the magnets in it so it will go into sleep mode.
MciMc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:44 AM   #19
MciMc8
MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.MciMc8 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
This is new -- Pocketbook didn't suggest this to me and I wonder if it 'breaks' the stuck in sleep mode -- since I installed a my third battery and got rid of the case with the magnets in it to initiate sleep mode I haven't had any problems. I did have the issues that Markismus mentions at the beginning of the thread -- not starting up unless plugged in/occasional odd behaviour of the power button. If it is a battery/sleep mode problem check the battery level -- mine would get stuck at various power levels and not change to the point where it was at 99 or 100 % and acted as if the battery was dead.
MciMc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:07 AM   #20
Markismus
Fanatic
Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.Markismus is the One.

@MciMc8 After your post and a two crashes only one day apart, I decided enough is enough. I am returning it to Amazon. @hedgehog's comment about long pressing the power button to shut the device down and short pressing it to boot seems to handle most cases. Only one in four needs the combination of power button and one of the right buttons to reboot the system.

Last night I started reusing my old Kobo H2O (1st gen) and I was surprized how well it handled: Snappy in contrast with the PocketBook 3. I really liked the screen, I loved the note handling, I hated the laggyness: When I showed my brother and friend the speed of typing they were actually impressed by how slow it was. Both could hardly phantom that this was how the product was meant to function.

Was my device really a badly functioning one or do more people experience a rather sorry buildup of patience when typing a note?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:48 AM   #21
nhedgehog
Evangelist
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
There is an extended review on Youtube, showing the notetaking feature on the IP3 around minute 9. Just to compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WA0tbE7VM
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #22
Markismus
Fanatic

@hedgehog Thanks. The typing of a note is not included, though.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #23
nhedgehog
Evangelist
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Sorry, thought it was there but mixed it up. It was in the previous video around minute 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0tjz74PmvU
And there is an extend review regarding notetaking on Inkpad X, which is supposed to be basically the same hardware with a larger screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI60WUQCduM
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #24
ezdiy
Connoisseur
ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.ezdiy inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I agree, reluctantly. Question is whether I should get the same model of device.

It’s a nice ePub reader and a reasonably nice PDF reader. I like how the notes app is set up. Only drawbacks there are the limited length of notes before the window start displaying it improperly and the slowness of responding to words for highlighting/ taking notes.

However, the random crashes are a problem. It doesn’t bode well for the long term durability of this device.
I have talked to an eshop guy who sells pocketbooks in my country. And it seems like this is a recurring problem - Pocketbooks in general have pretty variable build quality and somewhat higher return rate (3% get returned for repair), compared to say, Kindle. Of particular note is how frequently a device gets returned twice. First, only battery is swapped (in my country, batteries are under warranty for 6 months). But it often breaks down 3 months later again. Second time, the entire device gets replaced. This hints that the battery itself may not be a problem, but merely a symptom of something about power circuitry of a faulty board itself.

Last edited by ezdiy; 01-09-2020 at 11:30 AM.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #25
Markismus
Fanatic

I don't think it is the battery, either. Don't think it is the wiring, though. Something with the power management. I usually have problems with linux, suspend and new hardware, too. Bitch to iron out. Of course when most devices seem to work as intended, people blame the faulty hardware. Could just as easily be unforeseen possibilities not anticipated in the software: Those things happen when you generate thousands of real-life systems!

One could only wish the programmers got the faulty systems back and actually looked what happens. I just don't think that Pocketbook has those programmers in employ. Writing drivers or firmware is usually a specialty that is overlooked. Still odd that hardware providers such as Pocketbook don't see themselves as hardware providers.