Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #31
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I only have experience with Nook and Kobo and they both behave the same way.

That’s a good reason for me not to consider Kobo. With Nook I already have about 200 books I purchased from B&N as it was my first foray into ebooks many years ago.
Kindle has spoiled me a bit I suppose. The ability to ‘send to Kindle’ to add to my library and have it synced across all devices the Kindle reader app is available on is just superb. Something similar is available on some other reader apps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #32
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I've had an Oasis 3, Glowlight Plus and Voyage (and several other models).

It's Voyage all day long on screen crispness and clarity.
When you say the Glowlight Plus, I presume you mean the mean the old model which is a previous generation. I have used a Voyage, but IMO the new Glowlight screens are better, especially with the deep-orange comfort light and the night-mode in Koreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #33
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I only have experience with Nook and Kobo and they both behave the same way.
I think the key for me is that they both have an orange light and can run Koreader, and can read epub, so I would be willing to use both. I have personally had better experiences with Nooks, though I understand the Kobo hardware has improved and now is similar in quality to Kindles (though I must admit, I am skeptical...). But at least I know I can turn to Kobo if need be. So I'm a Kobo AND a Nook fan
Old 12-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #34
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
When you say the Glowlight Plus, I presume you mean the mean the old model which is a previous generation. I have used a Voyage, but IMO the new Glowlight screens are better, especially with the deep-orange comfort light and the night-mode in Koreader.
No - I mean the 7.8” 2019 Glowlight Plus

I am sorry, but i have to disagree with you. I had them side by side in my house and the Voyage was clearer and sharper to my eyes - easily. I also really prefer the generally “whiter” bias of the Voyage screen in most all scenarios. The GL/GLP have a more “digital screen” feel to them with their default, un-lit, look and coloration.

The warm/orange light part, I agree with you is a nice feature on the GL’s as well as the Oasis 3 and Kobo’s that have it.

Last edited by bookyboy; 12-25-2019 at 02:45 PM.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

I am sorry, but i have to disagree with you. I had them side by side in my house and the Voyage was clearer and sharper to my eyes - easily. I also really prefer the generally “whiter” bias of the Voyage screen in most all scenarios..
I have the same experience. Still, I don't really want to read on a 6'' screen anymore, so my Voyage mostly gathers dust, the excellent screen notwithstanding.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have the same experience. Still, I don't really want to read on a 6'' screen anymore, so my Voyage mostly gathers dust, the excellent screen notwithstanding.

Put that sucker in the Flea Market Forum, and you should have no trouble selling it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #37
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:

I am sorry, but i have to disagree with you. I had them side by side in my house and the Voyage was clearer and sharper to my eyes - easily. I also really prefer the generally “whiter” bias of the Voyage screen in most all scenarios. The GL/GLP have a more “digital screen” feel to them with their default, un-lit, look and coloration.

The warm/orange light part, I agree with you is a nice feature on the GL’s as well as the Oasis 3 and Kobo’s that have it.
I made a mistake. I assumed the Glowlight Plus 7.8” screen was the same as the Glowlight 3 screen. It is not. The Glowlight Plus screen is capacitive, and so has an extra layer on it. The Glowlight 3 is infrared, and so lacks that layer and is clearer. I believe the Glowlight 3 screen is probably clearer than the Voyage screen.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #38
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Over the holidays I got both a Glowlight Plus 7.8” and Oasis 3 and have had a chance to do a side by side comparison of the screens.
IMO between the two the differences are so slight to my eyes that it just isn’t an issue. I would be hard pressed to claim one was better than the other.
One thing that the Oasis 3 does that the Glowlight Plus doesn’t is allow for actually setting where I want night lighting to be with automatic selected. Or at least if the Glowlight Plus does I don’t know how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote