Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Frontlit eInk 6" device Kobo vs Onyx/Boyue etc

I've owned Kindle, and currently have a Kobo Aura HD.

Considering a new 6" frontlit device. I think I know the pros&cons of the Kindle and Kobo ecosystems.

I have a few questions about the benefits of the non-Kobo (or Kindle) devices.
(Reviews in mainline media seems to only cover Kindle and Kobo.)

Are the frontlight temperature adjustable in devices like Boyue T63 and Onyx c67ML carta2?

Since these run Android (although very old versions), I assume I can find suitable ePub reading apps for syncing read status (and notes/highlights) with similar apps on iOS and newer android phone/tablets? (And even macOS/Linux apps?)

Are there other benefits Onyx etc offers that I should consider? Better dictionaries?

(I guess buttons are nice, but I don't miss 'em very often on my Kobo.)
Any other non-Kobo/Kindle 6" 300 DPI devices I should take a look at?

One thing I wish Kobo would have implemented by default: A night mode/inverse mode. (I have to manually reinstall the hack upon every OS update.)
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
One more thing to check, if it's an issue for you, is battery life. I don't have an Android eink device myself, but a lot of people report lower battery life than Kobos.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert