Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #35311
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yeah, I had an Asus motherboard fail at just about that point. Wasn't a dual, but was a high end Xeon with expensive memory. All of which was completely useless with the then current processors and motherboards.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #35312
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I hate to think of how much e-waste was created by the 00s capacitor plague. (I lost a GPU to it myself.)

Holy moly, I had never heard of that, and that was an era when I was still half-way current on and involved in PC hardware. I don't know how I could have been unaware!?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #35313
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Continuing with capacitor issues, one friend of my son who is still into building his own computers had an ASUS ROG Z690 Hero motherboard die horribly about a week after he installed it in October(?) 2021. Turned out that ASUS had installed a capacitor backwards on that motherboard series and this was not caught in their testing or pre-ship burn-in testing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #35314
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Holy moly, I had never heard of that, and that was an era when I was still half-way current on and involved in PC hardware. I don't know how I could have been unaware!?
I only learned about it within the last year. Up until I did (and found out my model of GPU had been affected), I thought my GPU died of a power surge wrecking the caps. I remember opening it up and finding the capacitors had swollen up and were leaking.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-22-2022 at 01:41 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #35315
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I only learned about it within the last year. Up until I did (and found out my model of GPU had been affected), I thought my GPU died of a power surge wrecking the caps. I remember opening it up and finding the capacitors had swollen up and were leaking.

So I guess there's a big class action suit going on against...some untraceable, unidentifiable large Taiwanese manufacture...yeah, the check's in mail, no doubt.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #35316
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So I guess there's a big class action suit going on against...some untraceable, unidentifiable large Taiwanese manufacture...yeah, the check's in mail, no doubt.
Yup, I'm already planning how I'm going to spend that cheque.

This is why you will frequently see high end motherboards tout their "All Japanese capacitors" as a feature.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #35317
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
And you were undoubtedly correct, it was very likely a power surge. But one that _should_ have been handled. But the extra stress was enough to fry the bad capacitors.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #35318
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And you were undoubtedly correct, it was very likely a power surge. But one that _should_ have been handled. But the extra stress was enough to fry the bad capacitors.
Yup -- big electrical storm, no surge protector. My toaster also died.

I got a surge protector after that.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-22-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:28 PM   #35319
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I woke up sick with... something. Not nice.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #35320
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I woke up sick with... something. Not nice.
So you are venting if not ranting...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #35321
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So you are venting if not ranting...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:14 AM   #35322
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just got the bill for my appendectomy. It costs of €7065, of which I have to pay €50.16 (that was what was left of the €385 deductible budget last year).

I don't mind paying the deductible. What annoys me is that it took them almost six months to send the bill. I was in hospital from December 28 until December 30.

What also annoys me is that last week I send in a bill to get reimbursed for some medication. I got the letter telling me they are paying me back at the same time. And no, they didn't deduct the money I'm getting back with the money I have to pay.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #35323
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

not the best idea to put a tube of toothpaste and a tube of hydrocortisone cream next to each other...

especially if you need glasses...
Old 06-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #35324
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
not the best idea to put a tube of toothpaste and a tube of hydrocortisone cream next to each other...

especially if you need glasses...
OMG, I've done that!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #35325
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
…and the scent of the skunk is smelled in our land. Again.

This is turning into an awfully skunky summer. The stink keeps me awake until it disperses and that can be hours.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness