Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 10:23 PM   #106
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
It probably costs Amazon quite a few. Agents are waaaay too trigger happy to offer up replacements/discounts when they can't solve an issue (which 90% they can't).

The last problem I experienced, the amazon agent I chatted with just straight up said they could start the replacement process. I don't think they even checked my address and how I bought my Kindle. I don't know if they can even offer me a replacement because I don't have Amazon here, and I bought my Kindle not from Amazon (does Amazon offer replacement on Kindles when you didn't buy it directly from them?).
Amazon cares more about keeping you in their ecosystem than where you bought the device. There’s also a manufacturer warranty though without details I can’t say if you’d have been covered by that. But yes in general Amazon is all about doing whatever they can to keep you happy and buying from them.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:06 AM   #107
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Amazon cares more about keeping you in their ecosystem than where you bought the device. There’s also a manufacturer warranty though without details I can’t say if you’d have been covered by that. But yes in general Amazon is all about doing whatever they can to keep you happy and buying from them.
My Kindle was about a month old during that time. So I guess they went with my registration date.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #108
conili
conili began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th
Red face What does this mean to new kindle user?

Hello, sorry to intrude. I bought a kindle recently (like yesterday). I have epubs on Google books that I own, I also borrow from libraries.

I have used Calibre convert and transfer and to deACSM and convert before transfering.

Then I see this. But I do not understand.
If I send an epub that I own via email it will read it?
If I send via calibre do I have to convert?

Thank you and apologies for being that noob. First time kindle and ereader user.
conili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #109
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conili View Post
Hello, sorry to intrude. I bought a kindle recently (like yesterday). I have epubs on Google books that I own, I also borrow from libraries.

I have used Calibre convert and transfer and to deACSM and convert before transfering.

Then I see this. But I do not understand.
If I send an epub that I own via email it will read it?
If I send via calibre do I have to convert?

Thank you and apologies for being that noob. First time kindle and ereader user.
send-to-kindle now accepts epubs as attachments. You don't need to convert them anymore before emailing (unless there's a problem with the epub file).
I'm assuming when you said 'send via calibre' you meant via usb. If so, you still need to convert your epub to a suitable Kindle format (mobi, azw, azw3, kfx)
Old 05-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #110
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
However:
1) epubs with DRM like libraries, won't work.
2) Removing DRM from library books is unfair and often a violation of Library rules or even illegal.
3) Send to Kindle is inferior and slower than USB. It's using the Internet twice.
4) Send to Kindle gives Amazon a copy. There is no 3rd party oversight of this. They are not just a service company. They own IMDB and Goodreads and sell books. I can't believe they don't misuse this or why offer it?
5) Conversion of epubs via Calibre to KF8 mobi or AZW3 KF8 and transfer via USB is still superior than Send to Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #111
hleo12
Guru

I agree with the post above.

Whispersync was the main reason why I use send-to-kindle. But now that we can't get book covers, I see no reason to use it anymore.
I'll be sideloading via usb my non-amazon books now.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #112
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahecht View Post
The library and the lock screen.
The covers still show on the lock screen, just not the thumbnails.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CatchMeCov.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	193844   Click image for larger version

Name:	CatchMeList.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	193845  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #113
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Does this resolve the formatting issues that you got when sending .mobi files via email to kindle?

For example the main issue being the line spacing - it is either too great or too little and doesn’t match the line spacing you get with a book purchased from the Amazon Kindle store?
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #114
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnRFan79 View Post
Does this resolve the formatting issues that you got when sending .mobi files via email to kindle?

For example the main issue being the line spacing - it is either too great or too little and doesn’t match the line spacing you get with a book purchased from the Amazon Kindle store?
I've never noticed this problem at all. If the MOBI is clean, it should look good on the Kindle.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:00 AM   #115
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
I've never noticed this problem at all. If the MOBI is clean, it should look good on the Kindle.
I’d love to know how to make a Mobi file clean. Whenever I’ve converted an epub to mobi and then sent it via email to my Kindle, the gap between each line of text is either too much or too little, depending on the font being used on the Kindle.

Do you have an example of a clean mobi file I could try out?
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #116
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I’d love to know how to make a Mobi file clean. Whenever I’ve converted an epub to mobi and then sent it via email to my Kindle, the gap between each line of text is either too much or too little, depending on the font being used on the Kindle.

I don't, but I can tell you that when I use Bookerly as my font I don't see any of these spacing problems.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Using the same font will give you the same line space. If not, can you please post some photos showing otherwise?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #118
GeniusJ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using the same font will give you the same line space. If not, can you please post some photos showing otherwise?
I'd also like to see a picture of what's happening here.

If I could see an example epub file also, I can try converting to mobi and see if I'm getting the same result.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
I'd also like to see a picture of what's happening here.

If I could see an example epub file also, I can try converting to mobi and see if I'm getting the same result.
Try this ePub. I know the code is good as I made it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=177182
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #120
hleo12
Guru

Or maybe it's one of those options inside Calibre's convert function? There are style options there that automatically adds/deletes spaces between lines/paragraphs. It's worth a check.

I almost exclusively sideloaded via email before this change and I've never encountered this. My main problem with send-to-kindle mobi is it has a problem with justified text.

Tags
epub kindle