Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #121
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Thank you. I apologize for cross-posting. I realized after posting in the other thread that it might be better here.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #122
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Thank you. I apologize for cross-posting. I realized after posting in the other thread that it might be better here.
Just ask that it be moved (suggest destination if known.) Use the 'Report' button on the right if in the other (non-Calibre) areas (that takes a Greenie), or PM one of the forum-level Mod regulars (at the bottom of the topic lists)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2023, 09:50 AM   #123
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Sorry for the long delay in responding... Holidays mixed with Covid. Sigh.

Anyway, I installed 64-bit Java but Calibre's ebook editor still generates an error when I try to run EpubCheck. What am I doing wrong?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:47 AM   #124
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Anyway, I installed 64-bit Java but Calibre's ebook editor still generates an error when I try to run EpubCheck. What am I doing wrong?
If you're still getting the same error (FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified), open a command prompt window and enter java -version. If you don't get the Java version number, the installer didn't add the Java binary path to the Window environment variables and the plugin won't be able to find the Java binary either.

If you don't get a version number, you'll need to add the Java path to the environment variables.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:10 PM   #125
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I know this is a bit silly, but is there any way to turn the warning back on for EPUB3 files not being XHTML? With the updated ruleset, it no longer warns me of this. I actually want to convert my files from HTML to XHTML. But, now I'm constantly forgetting.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #126
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I know this is a bit silly, but is there any way to turn the warning back on for EPUB3 files not being XHTML?
The W3C removed this check for both epub2 and epub3 files in EPUBCheck v5.0.0.

For more information see:

feat: no longer check .xhtml extension in EPUB 2.0.1
feat: any file extension is now allowed

If you want the check back, download EPUBCheck v4.2.6, unzip it, go to the plugin folder and replace epubcheck.jar and the lib folder with the v4.2.6 versions.

You'll also might want to disable the update check. For more information see the first page. (You'll need to change "github": true, to "github": false,)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:37 AM   #127
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
I have the same problem as Thasaidon in post #85.

And tried the solution in the post #86.
However, this did not work for me.

Situation: I did a clean install of windows 11 with all the updates,..blabla. And installed the latest version of Calibre. Then I copied the calibre settings from my old win 10 machine to the new win 11 machine. That worked fine. I can start calibre with all libraries present. All the plugins are there..etc. However, now, in the calibre editor, when I use epubcheck plugin I get the same error message as in post 85.
I have checked the java version:
java version "1.8.0_361"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_361-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.361-b09, mixed mode)

I have installed java 32-bit and java 64-bit.
I have rebooted the machine.
I removed the plugin and reinstalled it.
My epubcheck.json looks like this:
{
"check_interval": 7,
"clipboard_copy": false,
"close_cb": false,
"github": true,
"is32bit": true,
"java_path": "java",
"last_time_checked": "2023-03-08 14:30:23.036858",
"usage": false
}
But I still get this java.stackoverflow message:

Is there something else I can try?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-08 152657.png
Views:	57
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	200199  
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:51 AM   #128
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
I have installed java 32-bit and java 64-bit.
If you need the 32bit Java binary for other apps, you'll need to specify the path to the 64bit Java binary in EpubCheck.json. For example:

"java_path": "C:/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_361/bin/java.exe",

(Double-check that the path is correct.)

Also undo the is32bit entry change:

"is32bit": false,

If you don't need the 32bit Java version for legacy apps, please uninstall it.

Once you've successfully uninstalled the 32bit version, you should get the following output when you enter java -version:

Code:
java version "1.8.0_361"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_361-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.361-b09, mixed mode)
Old 03-09-2023, 03:26 AM   #129
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Hi Doitsu,

Thank you for your post. It helped me a lot to troubleshoot the problem, as it forced me to check more. It turned out, that Java 64-bit hadn't been properly installed. So, of course, it couldn't work.
I had assumed it was properly installed, without proper checking, as I have never had any problems with it before. My bad ...

The bad installation may (or may not) have to do with the fact that, due to security update 5012170 of windows 11, my taskbar did not appear on login, and I had to restart the windows explorer in the task manager manually, to get it to run. And it screwed up my firefox browser installation. It was only this morning that I was sure the problems were caused by this security update. Removal of this update did the trick to have a working taskbar. Removing and reinstalling firefox solved the other part.
I have sent feedback to Microsoft. Curious to see what they say or do (or don't do).
At least, for this part, the problem wasn't between the keyboard and the chair.

Thanks,
Capricorn
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:15 PM   #130
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Two days ago, Calibre notified me there was an update available for this plugin. I went ahead and allowed it to install and end up with this version when running it.

EPUBCheck v5.1.0

EPUBCheck completed

The problem is that it no longer seems to be working. It is not picking up any problems at all and always returns the above message.

I have intentionally created bad tables, bad lists and corrupted both the opf and nav.xhtml and no errors are reported.

Is anybody else noticing this?

I also find it unusual there was no announcement of a new version in this thread.

Last edited by Karellen; 07-13-2023 at 11:20 PM.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 12:18 AM   #131
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
The problem is that it no longer seems to be working. It is not picking up any problems at all and always returns the above message.
I was able to reproduce this problem. Unfortunately, I don't know what's causing it.

You might want to downgrade the EPUBCheck Java files to the previous version:Or simply use the Sigil EPUBCheck plugin which doesn't have this problem.

I'll try to figure out what the problem is on the weekend.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:39 AM   #132
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you @Doitsu,

I have rolled back and it is working again.

EPUBCheck v5.0.1
Validating using EPUB version 3.3 rules.
No errors or warnings detected.

EPUBCheck completed

Let me know if you need any testing and I will help out.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 04:34 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Two days ago, Calibre notified me there was an update available for this plugin. I went ahead and allowed it to install and end up with this version when running it.

EPUBCheck v5.1.0

EPUBCheck completed

I have intentionally created bad tables, bad lists and corrupted both the opf and nav.xhtml and no errors are reported.

Is anybody else noticing this?

I also find it unusual there was no announcement of a new version in this thread.
Same thing here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:32 AM   #134
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
@Doitsu

Looking at this, I was reminded of a recent change to EPUBCheck:
So, the problem seems to be with the '--version' argument. You can't use it while checking files anymore.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #135
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
So, the problem seems to be with the '--version' argument. You can't use it while checking files anymore.
Thanks for the very helpful pointer! It was indeed the '--version' parameter that caused the problem.