Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
PriamX
PriamX began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
ePub3, Woff not valid

Hi all.

I have an ePub3 I've created with embedded DroidSerif fonts (regular, italic, bold and bold/italic). They are in WOFF format (not WOFF2).

In the editor, when I run a check on the ePub, I receive the following error for each of the fonts I've embedded:

"Not a valid font: Not a supported font, has no name table"

These embedded fonts appear to work correctly on my Kobo Aura One. I'm wondering if the editor does not yet understand WOFF files, or if I've done something wrong. I used the online service "Transfonter" to convert them from TTF to WOFF.

In the IDPF EPUB 3 Core Media Types, Section 2, it lists WOFF as a supported media type. So I'm thinking I did something wrong in my ePub.

Thanks!
PriamX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre in general has no support for woff. And while the epub 3 spec allwos them, I'd strongly recommend against using them. Use otf instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
PriamX

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
PriamX

This is just a point of discussion...

I was just re-reading that "EPUB 3 Core Media Types" document again and it says they're deprecating *both* TTF and OTF, it seems like, in favor of WOFF and WOFF2.

I assume this means if/when EPUB 4 is out it'll only be WOFF-based fonts. I'm curious what the motivation is there. I mean, why would other font types be deprecated? Does TTF and OTF fall short of what WOFF can provide? Why wouldn't they just specify TTF, OTF, WOFF and WOFF2 as supported? Why would they need to remove them from the spec? eReaders already seem to universally support TTF and OTF, why not continue to take advantage of that? What's IDPF's motivation for *removing* them?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriamX View Post
I was just re-reading that "EPUB 3 Core Media Types" document again and it says they're deprecating *both* TTF and OTF, it seems like, in favor of WOFF and WOFF2.
No, the EPUB 3 Core Media Types document states that the mime type "application/vnd.ms-opentype" is deprecated for TTF fonts.

You can read more here: Replace application/vnd.ms-opentype with the standardised application/font-sfnt in Core Media Types.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
PriamX

Thanks! That link helps a lot because the IDPF document is not clear at all. They mark the whole row as DEPRECATE without being clear what is being deprecated.

You know, as I read it now, I think it's just a typo combined with formatting. It should read "Deprecates application/vnd.ms-opentype", on the same line. Instead of "OpenType and TrueType fonts. Deprecate"