Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Syncing progress across Kindle Fire / Kindle PW2

I read on my PW2 and Kindle Fire tablet.

From my research it looks like:

1) It's only possible to have reading progress updated when I send a dual version mobi file to my approved kindle email address.

2) If I try to side load anything; reading progress will not sync.

3) I've noticed that azw3 seems to have the most features; but Amazon doesn't want to let me send this type of file to the Kindle.

4) The only way to get annotations from my personal documents is to use myclippings.txt -OR- by using the calibre annotations plugin?

5) as an aside: if I wanted to read a book in spanish; is there a way to have a spanish - english dictionary ? And would I have to give up my existing english dictionary (or can kindle have two dictionaries on the same device at once)

6) How do I get highlights from my Kindle Fire tablet?

Does this square with reality?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by arooni; 10-30-2017 at 09:43 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
1) You could also purchase the book from Amazon or use the old-style Mobi 7 format and it would sync.

2) Yes. The book needs to be associated with your account and downloaded from Amazon (not sideloaded via USB) to sync.

3) Yes, but the KF8/azw3 part of the dual-format MOBI is sent to your device so you will actually have this. (Actually KFX format has the most features, but you can't send that format to your account and have it sync. You need to purchase a book from Amazon to have that. The full set of features is reserved for purchased books.)

I don't know about the rest.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-30-2017 at 10:04 PM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
4) You can also parse MyClippings file with Kindle Mate: http://kmate.me
I'm not sure if there is any programs that can extract information from files (modern equivalent of .mbp file) in .sdr folder. MyClippings file is not kept in sync with actual, current state of notes and highlights (= if you delete a note/highlights the "record" of it still remains in MyClippings).

5) You can have multiple dictionaries on your PW2 for the same language. There is a section in Settings where you choose primary dictionary for that language.

Last edited by shamanNS; 10-31-2017 at 09:38 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Hadn't heard of Kindle mate before. thanks for that!

Is there any way to get something like that on Mac / Ubuntu (I don't have a windows machine).

Any recommendations on a spanish/english dictionary that works on the fire and /or paperwhite?
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I answered your question about Kindle Mate alternatives in the other thread you started.

As for dictionary recommendation you should first check the dictionaries that were added to you Amazon account when you registered your PW2. There should be a Spanish one (I can see "Oxford Spanish - English Dictionary" and "el Diccionario de la lengua española by Real Academia Española").

Go to http://www.amazon.com/myk , (login if/when asked) and change the filter for Your Content section from "Books" to "Dictionaries & User Guides" . From there you can send needed dictionaries to your Kindle eInk device. No idea if Android app used on Kindle Fire can access those same dictionaries ... Newest version (updated couple of days ago, with new UI design, similar to that of Kindle eInk UI) of regular (non-Fire) Android version of Kindle app does offer ability to download most of those same dictionaries I can see on my Amazon account.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert