Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
kind
kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
DaSung Second Screen 13.3" E-ink Monitor

It works really fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBbVd0kBGE

Last edited by kind; 01-09-2015 at 03:40 PM.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Nice, thx.

Any idea when and how I can buy one?
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
This is interesting.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
That'd make a perfect electronic calendar hanging on a wall with a Raspberry Pi glued to the back. At the moment I've got two re-purposed Kobos doing the job but one big screen would be much neater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-10 23.13.55.jpg
Views:	3642
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	133767
(click to embiggen)

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
Alexandros
Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3, DXG, sony prs-t2
Hello, i am a new member although i have been looking into the forum from time to time during the last years and i must say it has been very helpful so far.
I too am very interested in the 13 inch e ink monitor from Dasung. It is indeed the fastest eink device i have ever seen. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmgarPBSPs) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vny-JTpt-aU)

I have already contacted them asking for more information about availability and price. They respondent that the product will soon be available only in China and that they will try to sell it abroad directly in the future. They also mentioned that the price will be 5999 Chinese yuan (about 823 euros or 967 dollars), but for the first sale(s), there will be a "huge" discount, as they put it. They advised me that if i wanted to buy the product i could find a "friend" in China to buy it for me and send it to me.

I checked their site (www.dasung.com.cn) and found out (with the help of google translate) that, although it says that it is under construction, there is some kind of a countdown to the beginning of the sale period, or maybe the end of the booking period with the discount price, i couldn't really understand. (http://www.dasungtech.com/index.php?...action=buygate). There are actually two countdowns, one is 1 day away, and the other is closing in 15 days, but google translate didn't help me that much. I saw that the discounted price is 3999 yuan (548 euros, or 645 dollars), which to me seems quite reasonable. There even seems to be a link where you can book the product (http://www.dasungtech.com/index.php?...10000&way=self)
but on the page above it says in red letters "This website is under construction, will not be accepted for any auctions , shot test orders are orders to buy really does not have a product !" (google translate again).

I contacted yoybuy.com, which is a Chinese shopping agent, but they responded that they buy only from Taobao, Tmall or Alibaba. I can't seem to find an agent in China that can purchase just one item (not wholesale) from any Chinese site, like Dasung's website, they all seem to be offering services for sites like Taobao etc. Does anyone else know a way to buy from China and import to Europe?

Currently i am running my Kindle DXG as a second monitor thanks to the guides and hacks i found on this forum. It works, but due to the low refresh rate is quite difficult to use (i use it more as an instant printer than a monitor).
Since i am in the IT profession (teaching and programming) and thus i spend many hours a day on the pc which causes me sore eyes, such a monitor would be a real game changer for me. If anyone could help, or is interested in trying to find a way to import the monitor from China, i would be very much obliged.
Sorry for the long post and my mediocre english, and since it is my first one i would like to thank everyone for participating in such a helpful community.
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are some shipping companies in my country(Egypt): aramex and edfa3ly, not sure if they can help people in Europe (and if you gonna like their service). I am quite surprised you don't seem to have similar companies in Europe.

Anyway, let's first hope that this screen will be available soon.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
For the discounted price, I would buy one as well. Same problem: all day in front of an LCD monitor, by the evening my eyes are sore and deteriorating rapidly.
I just had a successful purchase from Taobao via Yoybuy. They charged a 10% commission, which should make them quite profitable. I am sure there must be companies out there doing a similar service for webshops other than Taobao.
But, in any case, it's not cheap - I will wait for the Pocketbook and Netronics products, hoping they will serve double duty as a monitor and a reader.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Heba
Connoisseur

@Jmirko

Sorry I don't get it. Did you actually get a unit of Dasung screens? if so, how?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I'm curious what the big bar down the middle was. Did they combine two smaller screens? Is that a really wide seamline?

Also, the glare in that video was really unfortunate. It's funny that he rotates the camera right when the slide comes up that says "paper like", as if to say "oh yeah, I forgot!"
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Alexandros
Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3, DXG, sony prs-t2
@Twowheels The bar is a defect as is noted by a dasung employee(according to his statement) see comments on page
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...es-2015-video/
I have provided two links in my post with more clear view of the monitor(without any glare)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vny-JTpt-aU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmgarPBSPs

@jmikro I doubt that an ereader will serve as a second monitor without any hacking (as is the case with the Kindle DX i own).
The advantage for me with the monitor, is that i can run which ever application i want in my pc(e.g. c++ ide) without any hardware limitations.

@Hebo I think jmikro means that he purchased something else (not the Dasung monitor) from Taobao via Yoybuy and mentioned it to give us an estimate of how much these kind of services cost.

From what i've seen at the Dasung website the discounted price of 3999 yuan has ended. Currently the monitor seems available to book at the discounted price of 4499 yuan which will be valid for 15 days if i believe the countdown (see links below).
http://www.dasungtech.com/index.php?...action=buygate and http://www.dasungtech.com/index.php?...10000&way=self
I am still confused about their site though. I can't understand whether it's testing or in function (it still says under construction).
On their twitter page (https://twitter.com/DasungTech) there aren't any news yet.. Maybe i'll sent an email asking for some clarifications..
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 AM   #11
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
@Jmirko

Sorry I don't get it. Did you actually get a unit of Dasung screens? if so, how?
Sorry if I was confusing. I bought something else via Yoybuy, and was merely speculating that the 10% commission should make it worthwhile for such companies to assist with webshops other than Taobao.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:22 AM   #12
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
That'd make a perfect electronic calendar hanging on a wall with a Raspberry Pi glued to the back. At the moment I've got two re-purposed Kobos doing the job but one big screen would be much neater.

Attachment 133767
(click to embiggen)

Andrew
That will be one expensive wall calendar!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 AM   #13
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
@jmikro I doubt that an ereader will serve as a second monitor without any hacking (as is the case with the Kindle DX i own).
The advantage for me with the monitor, is that i can run which ever application i want in my pc(e.g. c++ ide) without any hardware limitations.
I think this depends on how the manufacturer configures the device. I don't see why an e-ink reader could not serve double duty as a monitor, provided it has the necessary hardware and software components (ports, drivers). The screen is already there and that's that main component. But I could be wrong, I am not an IT guy.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #14
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
@Hebo I think jmikro means that he purchased something else (not the Dasung monitor) from Taobao via Yoybuy and mentioned it to give us an estimate of how much these kind of services cost.
Yes, you understood correctly. Clarified above.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I think this depends on how the manufacturer configures the device. I don't see why an e-ink reader could not serve double duty as a monitor, provided it has the necessary hardware and software components (ports, drivers). The screen is already there and that's that main component. But I could be wrong, I am not an IT guy.
One of the big factors in whether a e-ink reader can serve as a monitor is how fast the pixels can be changed.

A monitor will require the ability to do at least 15 frames a second, an ereader really only needs to do about 4 frames a second (and probably a lot less).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote