Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
MobiPocket 6.1 not recognizing Kindle

I've already posted at the MobiPocket forums and contacted Amazon support but I'll post here, too.

Up until yesterday my Kindle was recognized by the MobiPocket Desktop Reader. That allowed me to easily download non-DRMed .PRC books and newsfeeds. I installed 6.1 and everything worked fine. Yesterday I went to download newsfeeds and my Kindle was not recognized. MobiPocket sees it as 2 USB drives, one for the main memory and one for the SD card. That's okay but when downloading files MobiPocket puts them in an "ebooks" folder which the Kindle does not recognize. I can then copy the files over to the "documents" folder but it's an extra step.

What I've done is:

1. Deleted the Kindle as a device and then tried to get MobiPocket to recognize it. Doesn't work, MobiPocket still only sees the Kindle as a collection of USB drives.
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop 6.1. Doesn't work, the Kindle is still a USB drive.

Maybe it's something Windows XP changed or did Amazon make a firmware change?

Thanks for any information and suggestions.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, Amazon support wasn't helpful at all. They referred to the MobiPocket Reader as third party software.

Maybe I'll uninstall 6.1 and reinstall 6.0 and see what happens.
Advert
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I reinstalled 6.0 and my Kindle is recognized once again.

The response from the MobiPocket forum was that the MobiPocket Software is not designed to work with the Kindle. 6.1 obviously does not work well but 6.0 works just fine. My conclusion is that 6.1 was purposely changed so that the Kindle would not be recognized as a device so that the PID would not be displayed. This also tells me that Amazon does not intend to make the Kindle compatible with DRMed MobiPocket files.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
If they wanted to make the kindle compatible with mobipocket, they would have done so from the beginning. Technicially speaking, no work would be involved, it would only be a matter of turning a switch. The kindle azw files are mobipocket files with a different encryption scheme. The only purpose of the new encryption scheme is to make the two formats incompatible. They put in extra effort to ensure that mobipocket and azw would not be compatible.... and that's why I'll avoid the kindle.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote