Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Feature request: full text search

Hi Michael,

EPUBReader 1.4.0.1 is so good now!

It is now in all respects better than Lucifox/Lucidor reader except one: in Lucifox/Lucidor there is full text search. Admittedly, search runs quite slow, but it works. It would be great if full text search also would be available in EPUBReader.

What do you think about such feature?
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laisvunas View Post
It would be great if full text search also would be available in EPUBReader.

What do you think about such feature?
Great, that you like the new version!

Full text search won't be something I will implement in the near future. On the one hand I think this isn't needed by the average novel reader and on the other hand it's pretty time-consuming to implement it . I put it on the change list but it will have low priority.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Full text search won't be something I will implement in the near future. On the one hand I think this isn't needed by the average novel reader

Hi Michael,

Yes, full-text search isn't needed for recreational novel reading but for any educational or self-educational reading, or let's say for any serious or ambitious reading, such feature is extremely important.
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
redynstruc
redynstruc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am assuming that "full text searching" means "results which show the context" so that, for example, if your search term is "establishment" and the book is about the US Constitution (including its amendments), it will return results such as "...the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution..." and "...Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion..." In this example, it's not a big deal, but try searching for "truth" in the The Federalist Papers when you're looking for the quote, "...we are not always sure that those who advocate the truth are influenced by purer principles than their antagonists...." and it becomes a quite a bit more helpful.
redynstruc is offline   Reply With Quote