Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hello:

I wanted to thank everyone for the valuable help you all provided to me in my "hour" (actually much more) of need. I think I have everything working now, but in the last day or two, I have generated another question.

I recently installed version 3.31 (Portable) of Calibre and when I added books, much of what I had working stopped! When I checked, Count Pages had disappeared, and some of my tweaks had likewise changed. Is this normal behaviour or did I do something wrong during installation?

Again, many thanks for the help!

Sparky
Portable? Was the original also Portable?
Portable has its own preferences (not shared like with 32bit and 64bit) location.
Question 2: did you install it into the same base folder location (if not root of a SD/pen drive)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
TheArtfulDodger
Connoisseur
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Hello, Ducks:

First, I haven't been using a USB flash drive, I have a 32GB SDHC card that was going to waste and a slot for an SD*C card on the tablet, so I decided that I would put the database on there. That way I could move it between machines and not have multiple versions around.

Second, and yes, I've been using the portable version for quite a while now - while I was using the 64-bit version, when I switched machines I always found that the format of the display was different, and my old mind couldn't remember the format from the other machine so... I decided to use the portable version, put it on the SDHC card with my libraries, and it would always be exactly the same, regardless of the machine I was using! But, enough of my philosophy.

As to where I installed the program. At first, when I was using a USB flash drive and before I was using the SDHC card, I had some trouble in knowing exactly where to install updates. However, eventually (going back to my ancient mind) I wrote it down where I save the install files exactly where to install it. So, in this case my structure looks like this: (I tell it to install to the root of the B: drive)

B:\Calibre Library\Calibre Portable\Calibre
B:\Calibre Library\Calibre Portable\Libraries, etc.

Since I have been installing to B:\ I have found that everything installs OK. Is there something I need to do before I install an update to the portable version? Or, possibly something else?

Thanks for the help.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like you are installing on the root of the drive (SD card) which is fine as long as you don't put a bunch of other stuff at that level (the root level has limits)

Just tell the Update (really a full install) the exact same place. It will detect the Libraries and settings and NOT stomp them.

as always, have a (Library folder) backup. SD cards go south without appointments
Old 09-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #19
TheArtfulDodger
Connoisseur
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question Shoulod I Be Losing PlugIns?

Hello:

Yes, I'm doing everything I should be doing. But why do I lose settings and plugins?

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hello:

Yes, I'm doing everything I should be doing. But why do I lose settings and plugins?

Sparky
As theducks wrote:

Quote:
Just tell the Update (really a full install) the exact same place. It will detect the Libraries and settings and NOT stomp them.
That's matches my experience with Portable, I have Portable installs that I've updated dozens, maybe hundreds, of times without losing anything. But I never install Calibre Portable in the root directory.

After formatting a storage device of any kind I create a 'standard' set of directories - !Data, !Miscellaneous, !Programs, !Sandpit and !Temporary.

If it's to be permanent, I'd install Calibre Portable in the '!Programs' directory; if it's to fill a short term need, I'd install it in the '!Sandpit' directory .

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-11-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hello:

Sparky
Just to be clear.
DO NOT erase / format / delete anything previous
You just RUN the downloaded file, and point
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #22
MarjaE
Addict
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story HD and Amazon Kindle DX
Okay, so how *do* you fix author sort?

If I check under "manage authors," it shows the correct author sort data. But if I order books by authors, it doesn't follow that author sort data. If I select all books, and embed metadata, that still doesn't fix the metadata.

P.S. Okay. I can select all affected books, edit medata, check "automatically set author sort."

Last edited by MarjaE; 10-09-2018 at 12:17 AM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Okay, so how *do* you fix author sort?

P.S. Okay. I can select all affected books, edit medata, check "automatically set author sort."
That is a correct way to updat the sort.
The Quality check plugin, is a GREAT way to check various sorts for issues.
(It is great for a lot of other stuff, too!)