Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #31
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
it seems the OP got the required answers.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #32
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
it seems the OP got the required answers.

best wishes koboy
I am still interested in as many opinions are people are willing to post. It sounds like you are declaring the post closed or something. In the KA1 owners thread there are many negative posts as well, so the more input the better to suss out what is what.
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #33
veereihen6
veereihen6 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap124 View Post
I am still interested in as many opinions are people are willing to post. It sounds like you are declaring the post closed or something. In the KA1 owners thread there are many negative posts as well, so the more input the better to suss out what is what.
It's definitely not without its faults. I have noticed page turn and touchscreen accuracy and responsiveness has gotten much better in the last few firmware updates.

Out of the box it was pretty laggy for me 6 months ago, especially the touch screen. The sad fact of the matter is that you will not find one perfect device. I have checked on glare from a light behind me, and it looks to be on par with glare from my Kindle PW2 (with bezels). If the light is directly behind you, there will of course be a distinct glare, but shifting the e-reader slightly takes care of that.

For many of us, the KA1 works fine for what we need. I use mine at least 3-4 hours a day. I still have my Kindle PW as a backup, but I haven't opened it in months.

I hate to say it, but you may have to get one in hand to satisfy yourself. There are some people who cannot stand certain things like uneven backlight color, poor contrast, and have to immediately exchange their device. Is there a store near you that might carry it? Are you in the US? I think Walmart is supposed to be carrying Kobo products soon.
veereihen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #34
Funyoungman
Funyoungman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but here is a side by side of my brand new Oasis vs my trusty old veteran Kobo. Same library book borrowed from overdrive set to the Publisher's font. I tried to get the size and spacing settings as close to identical as well.
The brightness settings are at none, max and 50%. I turned the bluelight filter on the Kobo to off. Pictures were taken under LED office lights.

http://imgur.com/a/b622tLH

Hopefully the comparison is useful.

Edit: It seems like imgur reduced the quality of the images to such an extent as to make them useless. I'll try finding a better way of sharing the full size images when I get home from work.

Last edited by Funyoungman; 08-15-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Funyoungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #35
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
the posts will be useful to others as well as you therefore inferring the thread closed was definitely not my intention. my apologises if that appeared to be the case although ultimately the only way for you to suss out what is what is by trying a KA1 yourself but of course i'm sure you already know that.

personally when i buy any ereader i always make sure i have the option to take it back to the shop if it doesn't satisfy all/most of my needs, i definitely would never buy one online obviously i realise that might not be optionally for everyone.

good luck in making your choice/decision.

best wishes koboy
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funyoungman View Post
Edit: It seems like imgur reduced the quality of the images to such an extent as to make them useless. I'll try finding a better way of sharing the full size images when I get home from work.
When you are entering a message, look for Attach Files below the editing box and click on Manage Attachments. The popup has a list of the file types and maximum file sizes. Attached image files will show a thumbnail which can be selected to show the full size image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	165619  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #37
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but here is a side by side of my brand new Oasis vs my trusty old veteran Kobo. Same library book borrowed from overdrive set to the Publisher's font. I tried to get the size and spacing settings as close to identical as well.
The brightness settings are at none, max and 50%. I turned the bluelight filter on the Kobo to off. Pictures were taken under LED office lights.

http://imgur.com/a/b622tLH

Hopefully the comparison is useful.

Thanks. Hard to tell often in photos but it seems the Oasis has a little better contrast? And is not as bright at 50%? I have seen people say the KA1 is quite bright even at lowest setting...a lot brighter than H202 for example.

Last edited by FlyHero; 08-15-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #38
Funyoungman

Quote:
Thanks. Hard to tell often in photos but it seems the Oasis has a little better contrast? And is not as bright at 50%? I have seen people say the KA1 is quite bright even at lowest setting...a lot brighter than H202 for example.
You can view the full resolution photos here.
50% https://ibb.co/hMMOAp
100% https://ibb.co/fsfuGU
0% https://ibb.co/mQG6Vp
Just click the "download full resolution" button.

The Kindle is pretty dim at 50%. I typically have mine set to 18 with the max being 24. Max brightness on the Kindle is very bright indeed and that's probably why the contrast looks better. Reading with the brightness dialed up that high isn't easy on my eyes though.

The Kobo has more brightness levels (100) and it's easier to adjust them while reading, you just swipe you're finger up or down the left side of the screen. I usually increase the font weight on the Kobo. In these photos I set both readers to use the default font.
The Aura provides a lot more options when it comes to customizing fonts vs the Oasis.

Both readers display the text crisply in my expierence. I'd pick which ever one best fits your use case. If you like library books the Kobo has built in overdrive integration, which is awesome, borrowing a book is as easy as buying one.

I also have a Boox T68, Kobo H20 v1. As far as smaller screens I have a few different Kindle PWs and a Boyue T-62. I really only use the Kobo and Oasis but maybe it would be fun to line them all up for a comparison.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #39
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
You can view the full resolution photos here.
50% https://ibb.co/hMMOAp
100% https://ibb.co/fsfuGU
0% https://ibb.co/mQG6Vp
Just click the "download full resolution" button.

The Kindle is pretty dim at 50%. I typically have mine set to 18 with the max being 24. Max brightness on the Kindle is very bright indeed and that's probably why the contrast looks better. Reading with the brightness dialed up that high isn't easy on my eyes though.

The Kobo has more brightness levels (100) and it's easier to adjust them while reading, you just swipe you're finger up or down the left side of the screen. I usually increase the font weight on the Kobo. In these photos I set both readers to use the default font.
The Aura provides a lot more options when it comes to customizing fonts vs the Oasis.

Both readers display the text crisply in my expierence. I'd pick which ever one best fits your use case. If you like library books the Kobo has built in overdrive integration, which is awesome, borrowing a book is as easy as buying one.

I also have a Boox T68, Kobo H20 v1. As far as smaller screens I have a few different Kindle PWs and a Boyue T-62. I really only use the Kobo and Oasis but maybe it would be fun to line them all up for a comparison.
i don't like the look of the background on the Oasis at 50% photo but it wins on the 0% photo in my extremely humble opinion.

edit....although looking again very closely at the 100% photo it's pretty much even not much between them.

edit deux....i have the light at 5% on my Kobo Aura Original when i occasionally use it, i suspect for me the KA1 would be too bright at the same setting.

thank you for taking the time.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-15-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
Funyoungman

Quote:
have seen people say the KA1 is quite bright even at lowest setting...a lot brighter than H202 for example.
Can't say that I had ever noticed this but I just ran a few basic tests and it seems correct. The Kobo measured about 1.5 lux using my phone's photometer sensor. The Kindle was below 1. For comparison I tried the same with an OLED tablet screen (capable of ultra dimming) and an LCD laptop screen. The OLED registered 3 lux, the LCD measured at 5 lux at it's lowest setting but the contrast was so low that it would be unusable for reading, the text was clearer at the second dimmest setting which measured 20 lux.

The Kobo topped out at around 280 lux while the Kindle went to whopping 450.

These tests were fun but I honestly don't think they have any real impact on the reading experience. The Oasis's ability to change use red/orange light is helpful for reading in a very dark room. The Kindle gets so dim that it's hard to see it at all. Although cool I'm not sure what the utility of that is.

Unless you're interested in the color aspect of the Kobo I don't think the lighting specs make a good basis for decision. As long as the unit you get has nice even lighting (always a hit or miss thing ) both will be perfectly capable backlight wise.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #41
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Funny, I've read through this thread and not found any posts that capture why I LOVE my Aura One and have kept my Kindle Voyage on the shelf (and also resisted buying the Oasis).

It's all about the reading experience to me, and that means, I LOVE: Kepubs and the ability to have a header and footer that mimic a paper book; having my book's cover serve as the screensaver (used to be able to do by hacking older Kindle firmwares, but no longer; having amazing control over font size and margin size; and waterproofing (until you've read in a hot tub with a beer or a glass of wine, you haven't lived!)

Yes, the Aura One is marginally slower to respond, and I agree with everyone that the precision of touching is not as good as with the Kindle. But I don't underline or take notes, so I don't care. I do miss X-Ray and Whispersync in the Kindle ecosystem, but not enough to make me give up the pleasures of the Kobo software.

But, as others have said, personal preferences rule the day. I don't notice any particular greater glare (or any glare at all) on the Aura One or on the Kindle Voyage.

Recommend you try to go to a store that stocks each and have a bit of hands on experience. You can read all these posts as much as you like, but no one really knows what matters to you.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #42
FlyHero
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Recommend you try to go to a store that stocks each and have a bit of hands on experience.
Problem is this isn't possible in 99% of places people live or else I'd have already done it. Your username says NYC so if you live there you probably have a very skewed perspective of what options people have since NYC, London, Sydney etc are not most of the world with regard to availability.