Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't have my notes with me, but here are the changes I can remember:

- Added "Español (México)" as a new interface language
- New Japanese dictionaries.
- Use the new dictionary search interface (introduced in 3.16.0) everywhere
- If the device becomes unresponsive, it will try to reboot itself instead of requiring a manual reset.
- Correct book selected when searching in current book.
- Fixed slow opening of EPUBs with large Table of Contents. This also means that they are being sideloaded correctly.
- Fixed all-black PNG G16 image rendering.
- See 48 Recommendations instead of 20.
- Processing of sideloaded books has changed a bit.

Some of the above was in 3.16.10, but as that was a limited release I am sort of ignoring it.

The reboot when unresponsive has had some work since 3.16.10. They seem to be tuning it for the occasions when nickel is expected to take a bit of time. The difference is that I am seeing fewer restarts with 3.17.0 than with 3.16.10 or the betas I have tested.

The change is that it appears that the sideloaded books are added to the library as they are processed. If something goes wrong, the books processed should be in the library. At the next disconnect, the processing will attempt to do the rest of the books. It might get stuck on the same book, but it will at least mean some of the books are readable.

Other than the version number, there are no changes that affect calibre. I will check the version number change in later. In the meantime, using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option is safe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #17
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Automatic update to 3.17.0 resulted in my H2O rebooting infinitely every few seconds. Is this the sickel bug?

I managed to stop the reboot cycle and get into my device from the command line by pulling my SD card. Where is sickle in the Kobo directory tree? I'd like to disable it.

It's late at night here, but I'm hoping someone in the forum can advise me. I will keep searching the forum for info until someone can help or I fall asleep.

Thanks.
rwhe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:53 AM   #18
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went to the root directory of the H2O and typed

find . -name sickel

No results. Is it in a different partition or something?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #19
rwhe
Hierodule

Reinserting the SD card and power cycling my H2O seemed to stop the infinite reboots. I suspect sickel was timing out because nickel was taking too long to read the card after 3.17.0 was installed. I'm curious about whether anyone has any other suggestions, or can tell me how to access sickel.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I've updated the first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread.

This one is the It's Too Damn Early in the Morning to Come Up with a Name release.
It should be named Kobo pulled a Firmware out of their Ass Release. And I think you really should move the 3.17.0 part of the spoiler out of the spoiler. It doesn't need to be there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Jon, I'm under the impression you think murg has a 'naming committee' - he just names 'em what he likes.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:46 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Jon, I'm under the impression you think murg has a 'naming committee' - he just names 'em what he likes.
Yes, I know. I also think he's incorrect with his name this time around because this release was pulled out of Kobo's a$$. It was not said that a new firmware was coming.

I'm just waiting for the patches so I can install 3.17.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I'm curious about whether anyone has any other suggestions, or can tell me how to access sickel.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=467

If sickel rebooted while it was updateing firmware you might want to re-install that firmware ... and disable sickel again after reinstall
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #24
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exclamation DO NOT UPGRADE TO 3.17 WITH SIDELOADED BIG PDFS

The reboot issue is going to kill you. Specially if the pdfs are just a set of scanned images.

You won't be able to even browse your library. As rendering the preview image takes a while, the damn sickel feature (rubbish feature) will reboot your device.

As a workaround you can disable the "Show thumbnail images" feature in Library settings but you'll still suffer issues:
  • You won't be able to search your Library, because search results always show thumbnails!!! (And yet another bug, Kobo?)
  • If you try to return from the book to Home Screen it will reboot. Probably because it has to render the main tile image and it takes too long... And when it reboots you won't get that book in the main tile...

Of course, I suppose the abysmal pdf performance issue on certain pdfs is still there. But it doesn't matter anymore because the device will reboot before it loads that kind of books. I've just tested with the Shadowrun book posted by ottdmk that linked thread/post.

(I haven't tested the other issue with 256bit AES encrypted pdfs but I suppose it will remain unchanged).

Kobo, what the f***ing hell does your quality assurance team do? Fire them all!!!
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:07 AM   #25
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@arspr: sickel remover (link in post above yours) work for you?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:14 AM   #26
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=467

If sickel rebooted while it was updateing firmware you might want to re-install that firmware ... and disable sickel again after reinstall
As I'm quite (totally) noob about patch installation, would you mind explaining how to install it?

Should I just unzip in .kobo and reboot as when doing complete FW upgrades?

Also, how do I uninstall it if necessary? And the latest one, is it safe to keep it installed when I do the next FW upgrade?

Edited++++

I've read the comments PeterT told JSWolf in the 3.16.0 thread and patching seems quite harmless. Could anyone of you confirm anyway?

(And I still need to know how to install/uninstall it Thanks in advance).

Last edited by arspr; 08-13-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #27
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi guys,

I've got a Glo model (not HD) and I would like to buy a Glo HD or an Aura HD but before I've got a question : on the Glo I've added a resistor of 20k to reduce brightness because at 1% it was too bright for me (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=200706&page=7)... now I set it to 3% and all is ok (an d I use night mode v13 too).

Can you tell me if i will have to do the same on Glo HD (or Aura HD) or with those 2 models 0% is equal to "no light" ?

PS : sorry for my english...

Last edited by akorx; 08-13-2015 at 06:15 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #28
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I think of a couple of times where sickel would have been useful in the past.

For example, at the beginning of the year I was at a cricket match (ODI) and I was reading a book (rain delay...) when my Glo froze on me. The only way to reboot it was via the pinhole reset. Unfortunately for me, I did not have a paperclip or other suitable implement on me. It was most annoying. By the sounds of things, this is the sort of event that sickel is supposed to help with.

I've never had my kobo crash in the library navigation/book processing areas. I wonder if Kobo could tweak sickel to only reboot if the device crashes while actively reading a book?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #29
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi guys,

I've got a Glo model (not HD) and I would like to buy a Glo HD or an Aura HD but before I've got a question : on the Glo I've added a resistor 20 kohm to reduce brightness because at 1% it was too bright for me (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=200706&page=7)... now I set it to 3% and all is ok.

Will I have to do the same on Glo HD (or Aura HD) or 0% is equal to "no light"?

PS : sorry for my english...
Wrong thread, man!!!

Nevertheless quick answer. You cannot buy a new AuraHD any more. It's either GloHD or AuraH2O. At least in my H2O you have a 0% setting (light off) and 1% is barely visible. I couldn't read with that light level even in a pitch black environment...
Old 08-13-2015, 06:13 AM   #30
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Should I just unzip in .kobo and reboot as when doing complete FW upgrades?
It's identical to firmware upgrades, yes. The TGZ musst be renamed so it's .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz . It's named KoboRoot-disablesickel.tgz in the ZIP as otherwise if you have a hundred KoboRoot.tgz files you don't know what's what...