Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
Exclamation Sigil and Adobe Digital Editions

Bear with me as I do not know the internals of Epub or the variations in implementation in theese two applications.

Some of my books made with Sigil (the stable version) are not opened by ADE. Later, it seems that my new reader uses ADE. And I have noticed that even the beta of Sigil can do that. From 5 different HTMLs I got 5 EPUBs. 2 of them work, 3 of them do not open. Well, the reader does show them in its list with proper author and title, yet the pagecount is 0.

Is there a way to restrict Sigil to a subset that can be understood by ADE?
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Have you used the internal validator to ensure your EPUBs conform to the spec?

Run the internal FlightCrew validation check (the green check mark on the toolbar) and see if it reports any errors on the three that do not open. Many errors are non-trivial and cannot be automatically corrected (they require human interaction). The best that can be done is they're detected and reported for you to fix.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Agree, creating an ePub is not a 'one button' process.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If you want, you can open an issue on the tracker and upload one of the epubs that failed to open in ADE. But I'm willing to bet hard cash that the problem lies with invalid code in the epub that would be spotted by FlightCrew.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Artha
-----

I have rechecked one of the files. And it seems to be a mess. Reopened by Sigil (both beta and stable) it does not show any file under "text". Yet that HTML is quite Ok from a quick check. And the text file is in the right place once I open the epub in a zip tool. Sadly, I can't share it as it is copyrighted work and that is a private copy. And, for the time, I can't investigate it any further by generating a dummy HTML and trying to come up with the same results.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Artha
-----

Oh, and I can't test it as even Sigil can't open it fine.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I had a couple books like that. I found that if I opened up the book with Calibre and then copied that book from the calibre library. It would then open up just fine with Sigil and my eReader.

Now having said that I only ever had this problem with v0.4.0 RC1 and not with 0.3.4
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can always try to run it through FlightCrew standalone to see if you get any errors. If so, we have a lead.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
Bear with me as I do not know the internals of Epub or the variations in implementation in theese two applications.

Some of my books made with Sigil (the stable version) are not opened by ADE. Later, it seems that my new reader uses ADE. And I have noticed that even the beta of Sigil can do that. From 5 different HTMLs I got 5 EPUBs. 2 of them work, 3 of them do not open. Well, the reader does show them in its list with proper author and title, yet the pagecount is 0.

Is there a way to restrict Sigil to a subset that can be understood by ADE?
Clearly running epub checking programs will likely find the problem but as a matter of course it would be nice if Sigil had a button that could launch a reader of the users choice. Sigil can't do very good job of testing the display of a document since it doesn't break it into pages. If the users reader of choice could be launched from inside Sigil then it would be easy to visually check some features. It would also let Sigil know the database was opened elsewhere so it wouldn't try and save it until the application was stopped.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sigil can't do very good job of testing the display of a document since it doesn't break it into pages.
That's because EPUB is a reflowable pageless format. Any "pages" are pseudo added by the reader software. Even the page count given by ADE is an Adobe invention and not part of the EPUB spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If the users reader of choice could be launched from inside Sigil then it would be easy to visually check some features.
This really isn't useful. Calibre, and FBReader for instance use a single flow view by default. Writing for a specific reader app is a really bad idea. Also, ADE on the desktop rendering isn't guaranteed to be the same on a physical device. Not to mention different versions of ADE on devices can render differently.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
That's because EPUB is a reflowable pageless format.
But there are provisions for paged media, like @page, page-break-before, and even the unimplemented oeb-page-head.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

But not al rendering engines support those. @page for example does not work on iBooks. Not that iBooks is a classroom example of how it should of course.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
user_none

The point remains that having the ability to pause Sigil to check in a reading app is not a very helpful feature. Currently you can save, leave Sigil open and then open the file in the reading app. There is no reason for Sigil to do this for you. Also, There is so much variation in reading software and devices that I don't see testing on a computer being helpful when most readers will be using a device that can only be tested on the device itself.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Artha
-----

Sarted FlighCrew standalone and

And this is the result:

Code:
This OPS document is reachable but not present in the OPF <spine>.
This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>.
Both line refer to the main htm file.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
And this is the result:
Code:
This OPS document is reachable but not present in the OPF <spine>.
This resource is reachable but not present in the OPF <manifest>.
Both line refer to the main htm file.
What version of Sigil and what OS are you using? There is a bug in 0.4.0 RC 1 on OS X and earlier that would cause erroneous errors like this.

If that bug doesn't apply then the file is not properly built because the main HTML inside is not properly referenced.