Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Rameshsalvi
Banned
Rameshsalvi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does Calibre ruin the epub formatting?

I'm planning to get a 2016 Paperwhite soon, it's my first e-reader ever. I've read that you can use Calibre to convert epubs to the kindle's format, however I'm afraid that the formatting in the epub book (spacing, content pages, etc) will be ruined/screwed up. I've read quite a number of books that had their words spaced out weirdly and formats a little wonky, presumably due to bad conversion. Wondering if that will be the same on Calibre, or am I better off buying books on Amazon instead? I have tons of epub books on my computer so I'm hoping that they can be read on the kindle, too.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-20-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spam urls deleted
Rameshsalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre conversion forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Calibre conversion can change the formatting, even converting from epub to epub can introduce changes.

If the book's formatting was bad to start with, the Calibre conversion can sometimes actually improve it. But if the formatting was good to start with then the converted book is usually not quite as good.

That is what I have found with epub to epub conversions anyway, I usually have to do a bit of manual editing afterwards to fix up the problems.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've converted hundreds and hundreds of ePub books to Kindle format over the years. 99.9% of the time it works absolutely fine. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the occasions on which the formatting has changed sufficiently as a result of the conversion that I've found it necessary to manually intervene.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
EPUB to AZW3 usually works.
Dropcaps and first letters with an embedded font sometimes give issues with placement ( I think this is a K4 issue, as kindle preview renders them correct)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
kindlegen can be used to convert epub to azw3

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KindleGen
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've converted hundreds and hundreds of ePub books to Kindle format over the years. 99.9% of the time it works absolutely fine. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the occasions on which the formatting has changed sufficiently as a result of the conversion that I've found it necessary to manually intervene.
I'm going the other way (AZW3 or mobi to epub) and find about 10% of AZW3 and 50% of mobi conversions need some TLC after the conversion. For mobi the main issue is the image handling -- every image a thumbnail is not my favourite look. Admittedly, I am fairly fussy about how I want my ebooks displayed down to paragraph indents, line spacing and justification.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
replying to post #1 - if you are about to buy your 1st ever e-reader , then I an guessing you don't already have hundreds of epubs.
so conversion is the wrong question really.

you can buy a kindle, and then start buying your books from amazon ( no conversion needed)

or you can buy a Kobo and start buying your (epub/kepub) books from them, or from an independent epub store ( do any of those still exist? )

as for which is better - there a whole forum section for " which one shoudl I buy"
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote