Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Spiveycol
Spiveycol began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Does Nook Color take a stylus pen?

Glad I found this website. I just purchased my mom a Nook Color. I know it doesn't come with a stylus pen and I don't think you can use one on it, however, my brother thinks you can buy a special stylus pen for the Nook Color. It would be great if that was true. Please let me know. Thanks
Spiveycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Someone said they've used an ipad stylus on it and it works.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
It depends whether you just want it for tapping or also for swiping. The NookColor touchscreen has sensitivity issues and styluses tend to be iffy for swiping (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). Also, sensitivity may vary with the Nook (so it might work for one person's Nook, but not another).

They do tend to work for straight taps, so if that's all you need it will probably be fine. And the fatter ones work best.

I tried a capacitive stylus for drawing apps on the rooted nook and that didn't work well at all.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
It depends whether you just want it for tapping or also for swiping. The NookColor touchscreen has sensitivity issues and styluses tend to be iffy for swiping (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). Also, sensitivity may vary with the Nook (so it might work for one person's Nook, but not another).

They do tend to work for straight taps, so if that's all you need it will probably be fine. And the fatter ones work best.

I tried a capacitive stylus for drawing apps on the rooted nook and that didn't work well at all.
This was my experience as well. I tried the Targus capacitive stylus which is well reviewed for the Ipad.
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
if you're into dyi you can make your own stylus with some conductive glue. i think thinkgeek has some for sale.

also, there was an article a while back about koreans using sausages as a stylus... still in it's wrapper of course, lol.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Or you can buy a South Korean Pork Sausage
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Capacitive screens aren't really built for stylus input, but for finger input. There's a few ipad-style styluses that simulate a finger of a sort.

Don't expect the greatest results from it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
A friend of mine uses a boxwave capacitive stylus with his nookcolor and he says it works "fine." I have one myself for the iPad and I like it better than the Targus or Pogo ones. I do know the nookcolor screen is less sensitive than the iPad's, so it may not work well with any stylus and my friend doesn't have the same high standards as me, so if you are able to I recommend you try one for yourself before buying.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
I've never used a stylus before so don't know how well they're supposed to work. However, I just got this one for my husband and he's happy with it for both tapping and swiping. I tried it on my NC and noticed that it definitely takes much less pressure on his naked screen than on mine, which has a B&N anti-glare screensaver.

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-2nd-Gene...5025287&sr=1-8
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
hfalls
hfalls began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPhone
Other people have said it but it is worth reinforcing. If all you want a stylus to do is tap on a button or link, the capacitive styli like the boxwave and targus will work. If you want to drag something around, or write, or sketch, these are pretty much all worthless. If someone finds one that does work or a way of modifying the screen sensitivity on the nook color that enables the use of a stylus, I would love to hear about it. I use handwriting recognition software on my rooted nook color and a stylus that worked would be great.
hfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalls View Post
If all you want a stylus to do is tap on a button or link, the capacitive styli like the boxwave and targus will work. If you want to drag something around, or write, or sketch, these are pretty much all worthless.
Agreed -- I've tried two highly rated styluses (recommended by others for the nook color) and not been able to sketch reliably. Simple swiping often works, just not drawing/sketching types of dragging.

This youtube video shows the problem -- there are gaps in drawn lines making it not useful to use for these purposes.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
I have a BoxWave stylus and it works well for what I use it for, mainly playing Sudoku and a few other games. Haven't tried it for sketching.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

I've read on other forums that people have had really good experiences using a Dagi Stylus. Either the P005 or P501 Dagi. I think there have been better results with the P005....
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyluree View Post
I've read on other forums that people have had really good experiences using a Dagi Stylus. Either the P005 or P501 Dagi. I think there have been better results with the P005....
I have a Dagi. Just like all the others it is not good for sketching or writing. Taping or simple swiping is fine with most styluses (for these simple purposes some styluses are little bit better than others, but so far no one has been able to post proof of being able to do smooth accurate sketching/writing with any stylus (although it's certainly possible that some people get lucky and happen to have a super sensitive Nook Color) and those of us with heavy sketching needs have reported failure).

Last edited by zartemis; 02-21-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I have a Dagi. Just like all the others it is not good for sketching or writing. Taping or simple swiping is fine with most styluses (for these simple purposes some styluses are little bit better than others, but so far no one has been able to post proof of being able to do smooth accurate sketching/writing with any stylus (although it's certainly possible that some people get lucky and happen to have a super sensitive Nook Color) and those of us with heavy sketching needs have reported failure).
zartemis, have you heard about the Nomad Brush?

http://nomadbrush.com

Not for writing but for sketching, etc. It looks like an interesting alternative.
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook color, stylus pen