Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 10-15-2018, 01:59 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would we want a Reader that doesn't understand indents?
In that case you had better return your Kobo. After all, why would anyone want an ereader that puts big gaps between paragraphs:

And it also doesn't indents!
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And it also doesn't indents!
On a more serious note, perhaps Jon was unaware that German language books generally do not use paragraph indents. Blame Jan Tschichold.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #18
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
On a more serious note, perhaps Jon was unaware that German language books generally do not use paragraph indents. Blame Jan Tschichold.
Well, nearly all of my (German) books (ebooks and print) use indents. I just took some samples and couldn't find one without indents.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
Well, nearly all of my (German) books (ebooks and print) use indents. I just took some samples and couldn't find one without indents.
Hmmm.... I just checked my collection of German language ebooks -- all 8 of them -- 1 had indents, the other 7 don't.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
dr.moebius
dr.moebius began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just bought a Tolino Shine 3 and want to try the Clara HD firmware. Are there firmware image that I can flash on an SD card? I will be happy to share the experience in the forum :-)
dr.moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.moebius View Post
I just bought a Tolino Shine 3 and want to try the Clara HD firmware. Are there firmware image that I can flash on an SD card? I will be happy to share the experience in the forum :-)
You might want to ask this question on the Kobo Development forum as well. (Maybe you have.) I'm curious if it would work. Seems like it should since (I think) the hardware is the same.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.moebius View Post
I can send you a copy, but there has been two or three people who have tried already with no success.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I can send you a copy, but there has been two or three people who have tried already with no success.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe Kobo is doing something to make sure the two no are longer exchangeable.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #24
dr.moebius
dr.moebius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Shere is a dedicated thread on the developer forum, I have asked there! Thanks.
dr.moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #25
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
I've just got myself a Tolino Shine 3. It's not really a Kobo Clara HD "clone" as both devices are exactly the same original design by Netronix and apparently share all the hardware except the SoC.

In particular, the system board part # on the Tolino (37NB-E60K00+4A4) is identical to what's on the Kobo, according to screenshots on the Internet. On the other hand, the SoC part # on the Tolino is MCIMX6L8DVN10AB (NXP Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite). I could not find any Clara screenshots where the SoC part # would be legible but it's reported to be MCIMX6V7DVN10AB (SLL) elsewhere.

Before I got the Tolino I was toying with the idea of eventually replacing its AOSP-based firmware with Linux from the Kobo but it seems it wouldn't be as straightforward as I assumed due to the SoC part differences I was unaware of. Fortunately, the AOSP performance on the Tolino seems just fine, so it's not really necessary to replace it, especially as it would have also meant giving up the ability to sideload Android APKs.
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
Last Frontier
Last Frontier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3, Kobo Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripathetic View Post
Fortunately, the AOSP performance on the Tolino seems just fine, so it's not really necessary to replace it, especially as it would have also meant giving up the ability to sideload Android APKs.
I use the Tolino Shine 3 with several applications that work great on this device: KOReader, AlReader, Orion Viewer, Relaunch X, GoldenDict, Dropsync, One Toucher. The performance is similar to its native configuration. Battery consumption is very similar. I leave it in sleep mode permanently and it barely consumes any battery. The difference with other open Android devices is considerable. And the screen quality is excellent.
Last Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #27
Peripathetic
Enthusiast
Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.Peripathetic composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Frontier View Post
I use the Tolino Shine 3 with several applications that work great on this device: KOReader, AlReader, Orion Viewer, Relaunch X, GoldenDict, Dropsync, One Toucher.
Thanks for the list. I'm familiar with about half of these, will check out the others.

Quote:
And the screen quality is excellent.
Agree. It's a huge step up from the Nook ST I was using before. Also I'm lucky not to have any light bleed issues that often get mentioned in relation to Kobo.
Peripathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #28
Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripathetic View Post
Also I'm lucky not to have any light bleed issues that often get mentioned in relation to Kobo.
In theory they have the same screen, but the difference is huge with the Kobo Clara HD that I had. I wish Kobo had already solved this problem. Luckily the Tolino Shine 3 came with a really good screen since its release. I don't know of any complaints about the quality of its screen.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In theory they have the same screen, but the difference is huge with the Kobo Clara HD that I had. I wish Kobo had already solved this problem. Luckily the Tolino Shine 3 came with a really good screen since its release. I don't know of any complaints about the quality of its screen.
What is the difference you are seeing? Are you referring to the light bleed on the sides? Or something else?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #30
Last Frontier

Quote:
What is the difference you are seeing? Are you referring to the light bleed on the sides? Or something else?
The light bleeding at the edges is what bothered me the least. The screen was not clear, more like "dirty". And the brightness curve was very evident. Probably due to a bad assembly of the screen. I've seen other pictures in this same forum that are very similar. I had bad luck with my Kobo Clara HD. With the "clean" screen that my current Tolino Shine 3 has, I would still be an owner of the Kobo Clara HD. Of course I'm only talking about my personal experience. I don't intend to generalize. I have other Kobo devices that I'm very satisfied with.