Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
Cmely
Cmely began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook TL3
Pocketbook Touch Lux 3 (626) - Several problems when uploading ebooks with Calibre

Hello,

I just purchased a Pocketbook Touch Lux 3 (Model 626). I installed the latest firmware and I'm on Win7 64bit.

I encounter a number of problems that I did not meet at all with my old ebook reader (the Pocketbook pro 902) when I transfer books with Calibre.

These problems are:

- Random lanagement of series : I was previously using the method consisted of inserting the name of the series in the title of the book with my previous Ebook reader. The Touch Lux 3 is supposed to recognize series so I'm no longer using this method. However, while my series are correctly showing on Calibre, they are more or less randomly recognized in by the Touch Lux 3. I suspect a problem of metadata organization since in a lot of cases, I get instead of the correct name of the series a (big) bunch of cabalistic signs like : "quote & quote (quote .. & quote .. . " on multiple lines.
- Incomplete recognition of types : All my books have one (and only one) type of label (SF, fantasy, thriller, ...). However, I realize that the Touch Lux 3 does not correctly retrieve those informations. Some books (on the TL3) have the correct label, the other does not. Type field is left empty.
- Added books update stops after a while : After a certain point, the TL3 stop adding newly added books in the library. The files are on the device, if I navigate using the file browser, I can access them, I can even open them and read them. But they do not appear in the Library or in the newly added books nor in the search results (when I do a search on the title or the author, for example).

Do you have encountered similar problems? do you have ideas for solutions?

I saw that the next version of Calibre (Friday) should include a fix for metadata issues (fingers crossed).

Given the symptoms, I suspect a problem with the decoding of metadata sent by Calibre. Especially since it does not yet exist, to my knowledge, specific extension to this model of reading light. But my knowledge in this program are far too low for me to address them.

Any suggestions are welcome
Cmely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Cmely
Cmely began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook TL3
After various investigations and research here and here, I still have not solved all the problems mentioned in the original post. However, I have a little advanced.

As for the problems with the series, I realized that what seemed to be a problem were the metadata added by Calibre under User defined "Columns" (in other words, custom fields).

As I hardly use them, deleted them in Calibre AND I used the extension "ModifyEpub" to removes all non dc:metadata elements (For the most parts its metadata that have been added during the wanderings of the ebook on the net by various users. For the vast majority of which you will certainly not need).

The series therefore now seem to be fully recognized on my TL3.

Regarding the problem with the kind of labels, I have not yet found a solution. I compared the content.opf books whose gender was known by the ereader with those whose gender was not recognized and I have not found significant differences.

I'm not sure that the order in which the metadata is written into the file plays a role: by comparing two files (one whose gender is recognized TL3 and the other not) data are in the same order.

When using an extension to create the book jacket (page containing the summary and the essential metadata), gender is mentioned correctly in all cases even for books whose gender is not recognized by the reading light.

If I send repeatedly the same book series (after formatting the SD card), it is always the same books whose types are recognized (it is therefore not likely a bug at the time of transmission).

In short, we advance slowly, but if you have ideas, I'm interested !!! Smile
Cmely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
loki12345
loki12345 began at the beginning.

Device: PB Touch Lux 3
The TB Touch Lux 3 (626) only gets it right if <meta name="calibre:series" content="name"/> and <meta name="calibre:series_index" content="X.x"/> comes after the <dc:foo>bar</dc:foo> and calibre:series_index must be after calibre:series.

I noticed that calibre shows a neatly ordered content.opf if you use »Edit Book« but the one sent to the device is scrambled up. So no use in trying to edit it manually.
loki12345 is offline   Reply With Quote