Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
They've got Android watches that are Verizon 4G capable now (no phone necessary). But I'm not sure how that would work as a "minimalist" phone. One phone call would probably kill the battery. And the only way you could easily text would be by voice. A keyboard in a watch app is next to useless.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A keyboard in a watch app is next to useless.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I only use my Apple Watch as a phone if I'm driving, or if I really need to answer a call but my hands are icky. I don't have a data plan for it, so can only use it as a phone if I'm on WiFi and my phone is nearby.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I went to directly Google where the cheapest Pixel phone they had was $500 (and that was supposedly $300 off). $400 puts the Pixel in the normal high, mid-range price (I guess). I've never spent more than about $50 for a phone, so anything above that is too much for me. Especially if my aim is a "minimalist" phone. Minimal features, minimal price would seem to be the way it should work.
There's the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL which are flagship phones. Now Google has introduced the Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL, which are the budget versions. Very nice phone for the price. Reviews have been good. If they keep this up, when my current Pixel dies I will get the A version.

Quote:
You're right about Samsung and all the additional crap they add, but would the Pixel let you get rid of Android apps you don't want (like most of them)?
As far as I know, yes. Every app I checked, including all the Google ones, show the ability to uninstall, unlike the Samsung ones.

I'm not really a minimalist phone guy. I do keep very few apps on my phone and of the ones I've used, the Google ones are usually the best. So I haven't gone out of my way to uninstall Google Maps or Gboard. But the option is there.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As far as I know, yes. Every app I checked, including all the Google ones, show the ability to uninstall, unlike the Samsung ones.

I'm not really a minimalist phone guy. I do keep very few apps on my phone and of the ones I've used, the Google ones are usually the best. So I haven't gone out of my way to uninstall Google Maps or Gboard. But the option is there.
What about gmail and chrome?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What about gmail and chrome?
Those would be some of the Google apps I was talking about. Gmail, Chrome, the Google app, Google Photos, Phone, Contacts, etc all have an uninstall button on my Pixel.

I haven't tried uninstalling them as I find them useful. Though I do use AquaMail instead of Gmail and I switch at will between Firefox (where I set Bing as the default search engine) and Chrome (my phone is about the only place I do like Chrome, actually).

One benefit of the Pixel, I updated to Android 10 this weekend. Anyone else running that?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-09-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those would be some of the Google apps I was talking about. Gmail, Chrome, the Google app, Google Photos, Phone, Contacts, etc all have an uninstall button on my Pixel.
They sure don't have an uninstall option on my Pixel 2 XL (not that I would want to remove them).
Old 09-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I haven't tried uninstalling them as I find them useful. Though I do use AquaMail instead of Gmail and I switch at will between Firefox (where I set Bing as the default search engine) and Chrome (my phone is about the only place I do like Chrome, actually).

One benefit of the Pixel, I updated to Android 10 this weekend. Anyone else running that?
Thanks. That is certainly a change from my NookHD. I guess I can't automatically exclude it from consideration anymore.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They sure don't have an uninstall option on my Pixel 2 XL (not that I would want to remove them).
When I say an uninstall button, I'm talking about in the Play Store. If you go to the Play Store and search for Chrome, there should be two buttons, uninstall and open.

On Samsungs, there are certain apps that come preinstalled. Junk you don't want to use (the one I remember is the NFL app, or Slacker Radio). But you cannot uninstall them.

Edit: Okay. As a test, I tried uninstalling Gmail, since I use a different email app. I got the familiar old message "Do you want to uninstall all updates to this Android system app?"

So I guess you can't uninstall them. you can disable them and replace them with something else, as I did replacing Gmail with AquaMail.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-09-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I say an uninstall button, I'm talking about in the Play Store. If you go to the Play Store and search for Chrome, there should be two buttons, uninstall and open.

On Samsungs, there are certain apps that come preinstalled. Junk you don't want to use (the one I remember is the NFL app, or Slacker Radio). But you cannot uninstall them.

Edit: Okay. As a test, I tried uninstalling Gmail, since I use a different email app. I got the familiar old message "Do you want to uninstall all updates to this Android system app?"

So I guess you can't uninstall them. you can disable them and replace them with something else, as I did replacing Gmail with AquaMail.
I was about to ask how it would be possible to interact with the play store without a google account when I saw your edit.

I thought it was to good to be true regarding uninstall.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I was about to ask how it would be possible to interact with the play store without a google account when I saw your edit.

I thought it was to good to be true regarding uninstall.
Well, even uninstalling the Google apps wouldn't prevent you from having a Google Account, so long as you have Google Play Services and... I forget which other app is needed for the Play Store.

You can replace all of the Google apps with other ones. You just can't uninstall them like I thought you could.

At any rate, since Google makes Android, every Android phone you buy will come with those apps as well. But the Pixel doesn't have any bloat like carrier apps or uninstallable third party apps like the NFL one I mentioned earlier.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But the Pixel doesn't have any bloat like carrier apps or uninstallable third party apps like the NFL one I mentioned earlier.
I'm with you, there. I was amazed at how clean my Pixel was out of the box. I bought it at a Verizon store and there was still no carrier apps at all on it. No games, no alternative messaging apps--nothing. Just the standard Google apps that I expected (and required).
Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, even uninstalling the Google apps wouldn't prevent you from having a Google Account.
I prevent me from having a google account. The one I reluctantly opened for my NookHD effectively went away when I forgot my password years ago and I have no other way to authenticate.

Quote:
At any rate, since Google makes Android, every Android phone you buy will come with those apps as well. But the Pixel doesn't have any bloat like carrier apps or uninstallable third party apps like the NFL one I mentioned earlier.
Which brings us back to

Quote:
major problems with the Google Pixel... too Google Android
So I guess I can go back to ignoring android devices.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Which brings us back to

Quote:
major problems with the Google Pixel... too Google Android
So I guess I can go back to ignoring android devices.
And as I mentioned, all Android phones have that issue. Google does make Android, after all. A Pixel is as tied to Google as every other Android phone is, no matter how much other manufacturers might try to hide it. It's like saying the problem with my E-350 is it's too Mercedes. What do you expect?

Your next choice is an iPhone if you want something more than a flip phone. Or dig around and see if you can find an old Windows phone. It's a shame Microsoft's Windows Phone and Mozilla's Firefox OS failed. But alas, they did.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #30
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
...At any rate, since Google makes Android, every Android phone you buy will come with those apps as well. But the Pixel doesn't have any bloat like carrier apps or uninstallable third party apps like the NFL one I mentioned earlier.
All phones using Android One (e.g. most Nokias, some Xiaomis and Motorolas) are the same as the Pixels with no "bloat". But like the Pixels (and others) the standard base Google apps can be disabled but not removed.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote