Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Vicendithas
Vicendithas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Web Server Password Encryption

I recently set up my Calibre library to use the web server feature so that I could access my library from anywhere, as well as give friends and family access to my books. I set it up such that it requires a username and password, mostly because I don't want someone random stumbling upon it and deleting all my books. Out of curiosity, I downloaded a database reader to open the server-users.sqlite file that is stored in %APPDATA%/calibre. I found that the passwords are stored in plaintext. It's not a huge deal because someone would have to get access to my computer to get those passwords, but it's probably something that should be addressed eventually.

Regards,

Vicendithas
Vicendithas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The passwords have to be stored in plaintext, because otherwise you lock-in a single auth method (you would have to store the MD5 hash of the password for digest auth). This has various problems:

1) The stored password can only be used for digest auth or plaintext auth. No other auth schemes that might be developed in the future can be used.
2) MD5 is broken and so storing using an MD5 hash is only a marginal improvement over storing in plaintext.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
password, plaintext, security, server, wumbology