Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Confused and hesitating

Hello everybody.
I've lurked and browsed around here, but still have some questions I hope you calibre gurus can help me with. Like, what is the best way to start?

If I enter folder 'Asimov' into Calibre, then it copies all the files from that folder, one of every format, yes?
So if I have (for example) same book in mobi, rtf, and 3 x pdf; it copies them and keeps them somewhere I'm not supposed to look into. (I suppose I can make a note or use rating coloumn to mark multiple pdf-s).
But - how then will I locate .mobi for tranferring onto SD? Must I always fire up Calibre? (I have and will not have dedicated reader). Same for rtf - if I see a need to edit a mistake, where is the file? If I'm at last happy with my .mobi, how to delete all others (should I?)?

I have more than 20 GB of books, so I really need some organizer (especially I am lured by bulk downloading metadata), but you can see why I'm not overjoyed about copying them all.
My ebook folder now has some x-thousand pdf-s I have yet to read and decide about, same books occur in several subfolders (like 'Asimov', '3000+ books')...

If I already have Foundation.pdf in Calibre, and I add a 'mixed books' folder containing file Asimov-Found.1.pdf - what happens? Can I compare them to decide? What if both .pdf-s are in same folder?

Or maybe I should enter into Calibre only read and approved files? -though it seems somewhat...less than optimal. After all, I hope that with it I can not only keep track of what I have, but also where I have it and in which formats.

Second, I know nothing about formatting. So, what does .mobi (or ePub) have that word lacks? (I'm trying to unify my books). Is it a loss to convert pdf to .mobi?
Now I'm using mobi Creator, it makes html and I use that to get word file - so I can edit.
Is it ok if I end up with only .doc (or .rtf) and .mobi files? If I convert them in the future, can I lose something that original .pdf had?

Thank you!
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Hello everybody.
I've lurked and browsed around here, but still have some questions I hope you calibre gurus can help me with. Like, what is the best way to start?

If I enter folder 'Asimov' into Calibre, then it copies all the files from that folder, one of every format, yes?
So if I have (for example) same book in mobi, rtf, and 3 x pdf; it copies them and keeps them somewhere I'm not supposed to look into. (I suppose I can make a note or use rating coloumn to mark multiple pdf-s).
But - how then will I locate .mobi for tranferring onto SD? Must I always fire up Calibre? (I have and will not have dedicated reader). Same for rtf - if I see a need to edit a mistake, where is the file? If I'm at last happy with my .mobi, how to delete all others (should I?)?

I have more than 20 GB of books, so I really need some organizer (especially I am lured by bulk downloading metadata), but you can see why I'm not overjoyed about copying them all.
My ebook folder now has some x-thousand pdf-s I have yet to read and decide about, same books occur in several subfolders (like 'Asimov', '3000+ books')...

If I already have Foundation.pdf in Calibre, and I add a 'mixed books' folder containing file Asimov-Found.1.pdf - what happens? Can I compare them to decide? What if both .pdf-s are in same folder?

Or maybe I should enter into Calibre only read and approved files? -though it seems somewhat...less than optimal. After all, I hope that with it I can not only keep track of what I have, but also where I have it and in which formats.

Second, I know nothing about formatting. So, what does .mobi (or ePub) have that word lacks? (I'm trying to unify my books). Is it a loss to convert pdf to .mobi?
Now I'm using mobi Creator, it makes html and I use that to get word file - so I can edit.
Is it ok if I end up with only .doc (or .rtf) and .mobi files? If I convert them in the future, can I lose something that original .pdf had?

Thank you!
Calibre does everything except fix typos
"Save to disk" (Really is EXPORT to Disk) and Send to device will take care of putting selected books on any connected device that appears as a drive to your PC.
The wireless only devices work differently. but Calibre has an answer)

Tapping the o key when a single book is selected, opens the buried folder (care not to change anything about the file names shown.) I right click and "Open with Sigil" to fix internal EPUB issues. Obviously, Sigil has to be installed
Unless you have a low resource PC, Calibre will leave itself in the tray (not as practical on netbooks and notebooks), sans-GUI allowing a faster re-open.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Yes, although what it does with them varies depending on your settings.

Quote:
You normally don't need to look in the library, but you won't get arrested if you do. There's even a convenient button on the main screen that will take you directly there.

Quote:
But - how then will I locate .mobi for tranferring onto SD? Must I always fire up Calibre?
Most of us keep it fired up. Calibre has very easy and powerful ways to find the book you want. You just plug in your device or SD card and tell C to Save or Send the book you want. It will update the metadata, convert it to the right format, rename the file correctly for your device, inform your device of the new file and make your coffee. (OK I exaggerated the last one.)

Quote:
(I have and will not have dedicated reader). Same for rtf - if I see a need to edit a mistake, where is the file?
In the library. I tell Calibre to open my rtf files with an editor, so just hitting "V" to view it opens it for reading and editing.

Quote:
If I'm at last happy with my .mobi, how to delete all others (should I?)?
never delete.

Quote:
I had the same problem. Yes, it took me a while, but mostly because I wrote more code to make it easier for me to do (Merge books, and automated sorting of new books into existing records are the two larger bits.) I'm glad I moved it all to C. You will be too.

Quote:
If I already have Foundation.pdf in Calibre, and I add a 'mixed books' folder containing file Asimov-Found.1.pdf - what happens?
C will create two book entries. You can view them both.

Quote:
Can I compare them to decide?
Yes. When you decide which is the better, you can merge the records and have only one.

Quote:
What if both .pdf-s are in same folder?
It depends on your settings. Assuming you do not have my automated sorting option turned on, it will make two separate records.

Quote:
It's your choice. I decided to do a bit of both. Initially most of the books were added before I wrote the automatic sorting option and the merge function. That gave me one record for every book format. It was very tedious, but forced me to look at the books. Later I wrote the merge function to combine the pdf copy of a book with the txt and epub versions into a single record.

Finally I wrote the automatic sort option and turned that on so that I could drag big groups of files into the GUI and get them added as new (if they were a new book) or be sorted into the matching record (if they were just a new format of an existing book).

I hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-06-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Personal experience to add to the great advice form Starson17

I went through the same thing and after multiple tries at adding a few at a time I just gave up and imported everything with the merge duplicates option turned on.

I did it on my spare laptop and it took several days 24/7 but it was the only way to go.

This gave me about 30,000 entries from which I manually checked for duplicates. After about 2-3 months I had 7,000+ entries.

Things that helped me that I wish I had found out sooner

Convert all books to one format so is easier to compare different files same title (do this before adding covers if using calibres reader as it seems to take forever to load) I use different reader that will only load one instance and is faster, cover or not. Two instances are good if you remember to close them all before editing or converting and I don't leaving me with redundant directories.

Do bulk download of metadata/covers (if not existing) with overwrite author title turned off.

Create two custom fields one for whether book needs fixing and one for quality/errors that should be fixed. This lets you know you have viewed and evaluated the book.

Maybe one custom field would be sufficient but I often sort on one or the other.

Calibre has improved greatly since I started with version 6.4x especially in the metada gathering.

It is well worth the initial effort.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I counted 26 mississippis while Calibre opened, it's definately MUCH longer than I am willing to wait to drag-and-drop a file. So it looks like I'd better store the library somewhere more accessible - like desktop. But when I tried to move it, I got:

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:my_abspath() takes at least 1 argument (0 given)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 82, in accept
TypeError: my_abspath() takes at least 1 argument (0 given)

All 3 options gave the same.

Though - I added 100+ files, now C. library has 100+ folders and no info to find series.
(I do not connect device, only SD card)

'Plug in your SD card and tell C to Save or Send the book you want. It will update the metadata, convert it to the right format, rename the file correctly for your device'

-I'd prefer it to be 'Lastname-series#-Title', so same authors and series are grouped together in Mobi library screen. Or at least 'series#-Title'. Palm reader won't show series info in the library screen.
Is it doable?

'never delete.'
You can't be serious?!

'It depends on your settings. Assuming you do not have my automated sorting option turned on, it will make two separate records.'
What and where is automatic sorting? Will it put both pdf-s into same folder or just grab one and hide another one forever? Or is it the same I can now do with merge - prc, pdf, txt, jpg all together?

Seems that any initial data has to be gotten from filenames, I'm experimenting with it. For now I must change Author/title for every entry manually. Then I can bulk download metadata - but not always. Author_sort stays also unchanged, so I have to open meta edit window anyway.
Thing is, my filenames are also a pretty mixed lot. So I have to visit preferences every time I add some books? (or standardize prior to adding). I got the regular expression to recognize series, but have no idea how to explain numbers. My preferred filename is
Lastname - series# - Title (the x00 I have changed)
How to get # where it belongs?

I am trying bulk download on metadata - doing it, no covers, on 2 just books takes forever! (may be connection, but I dl-d both singly and circle is still rolling-how do I stop it?). 3 times now was error and 'program needed to close'.

'Convert all books to one format'
Well, which one? Can I get as good word file from mobi as from pdf? (looks like I prefer mobi, prc or rtf for the Palm.)

I have now same book in 3 entries: pdf+prc, pdf, prc. All are different and I have hard time telling them apart. Because Calibre changed filenames, it is even harder to locate them in original folder. And when I have 2 pdf-s open, they both have same name - now which was the one I liked...? With so much double-checking, it's almost easier to convert them all and sort them later. But it still leaves editing typos (in the right file).

How to enter a book which has many stories, many authors and some stories belong to different series? Omnibuses?

Must say, I'm even more confused now and no way will I add any more folders - until i at least have SOME control over results.

TIA
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I counted 26 mississippis while Calibre opened, it's definately MUCH longer than I am willing to wait to drag-and-drop a file.
Mine runs 24/7 (so I can access all my books from France and my neighbor's home). I only add in groups, or occasionally, so less than 30 seconds to open wouldn't bother me, even if I did have to open it to add a new book.

Quote:
So it looks like I'd better store the library somewhere more accessible - like desktop. But when I tried to move it, I got:

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception:
A typo was made in the code. It's already fixed.

Quote:
Though - I added 100+ files, now C. library has 100+ folders and no info to find series.
(I do not connect device, only SD card)
You can treat the SD card as a device if you wish. I do.

Quote:
-I'd prefer it to be 'Lastname-series#-Title', so same authors and series are grouped together in Mobi library screen. Or at least 'series#-Title'. Palm reader won't show series info in the library screen.
Is it doable?
Yes. The setting is in Pref|Add/Save|Save
Quote:
never delete.
You can't be serious?!
Feel free to delete if you want. I always keep the original. I may need to convert it and the original is the best place to start.

Quote:
'It depends on your settings. Assuming you do not have my automated sorting option turned on, it will make two separate records.'
What and where is automatic sorting?
Pref|Add/Save|checkbox "If books with similar ....found ... merge ... automatically"

Quote:
Will it put both pdf-s into same folder or just grab one and hide another one forever?
Calibre only allows one pdf per record. If you are adding multiple pdfs, they must have a different author or title with this option turned on. If they have the same author and the same title and the same format, and you still want them both in the database, you should leave this option off.

Quote:
Or is it the same I can now do with merge - prc, pdf, txt, jpg all together?
?? Merge is manual. The option-with-a-name-that's-too-long (automatic merge) is automatic sorting. Both have the same limitation of one format type per record.

Quote:
Seems that any initial data has to be gotten from filenames,
Personally, "get metadata only from filename" works best for me, but if your internal metadata is good, that may work better for you.

Quote:
For now I must change Author/title for every entry manually.
You should only have to do this if 1) your filenames are not consistently named with author/title and 2) the file has bad internal metadata.

Quote:
Then I can bulk download metadata - but not always.
You can always try to get metadata by bulk, but the databases online aren't necessarily complete, some have odd author names or titles, etc.

Quote:
Thing is, my filenames are also a pretty mixed lot. So I have to visit preferences every time I add some books? (or standardize prior to adding). I got the regular expression to recognize series, but have no idea how to explain numbers. My preferred filename is
Lastname - series# - Title (the x00 I have changed)
How to get # where it belongs?
There are several threads on regex creation. That's what you need. Try searching here for regex, regexp, regular expressions.

Quote:
How to enter a book which has many stories, many authors and some stories belong to different series? Omnibuses?
I use tags: "multibook" and "omnibus"

Quote:
Must say, I'm even more confused now and no way will I add any more folders - until i at least have SOME control over results.
It is important to make sure your books are added with at least the correct author/title. When I've got several copies, I try to add only the one I know is better, or I add a comment or a tag to mark each copy.

If you have several books in a folder you were given at your birthday, then mark them all with the tag "birthday" or whatever will remind you about what you know concerning these books. I always try to keep all the info I have about a book when I add it. Usually all that info is in the folder name or the title of the book, and I capture all that during the import by marking it all with a tag or a comment, etc.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-07-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
travger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Feel free to delete if you want. I always keep the original. I may need to convert it and the original is the best place to start.
Yes, that's what I prefer also. What I had in mind, is: pdf has some unbearable mistakes (like no italics). I correct them in word and convert it to prc/mobi. Is the original pdf still worth keeping?

Quote:
Personally, "get metadata only from filename" works best for me, but if your internal metadata is good, that may work better for you.
No, it was awful. And I have no reason to think that the rest are any different.

Quote:
You should only have to do this if 1) your filenames are not consistently named with author/title and 2) the file has bad internal metadata.
Check on both cases.

Quote:
You can always try to get metadata by bulk, but the databases online aren't necessarily complete, some have odd author names or titles, etc.
Oh yes, I do try - but several times now I've had to exit C to stop the metadata dl (when it did not inform me about 'need to close'). I'm not saying that I can't get bulk dl at all, just often enough.

Lots of good advice. It's always easier to say just yes/no to the way other people do things than to try them out for yourself (and find that it's not working).
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
pdf has some unbearable mistakes (like no italics). I correct them in word and convert it to prc/mobi. Is the original pdf still worth keeping?
I always keep originals, so if it's an original, I keep it no matter how "bad" it may look. I may find tomorrow that even though the original had no italics, it actually had special symbols that didn't convert well. If it's just a bad conversion, I delete and try again.

Quote:
Check on both cases.
If you can't get metadata from filename and you can't get it from internal metadata, you're hosed