Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2020, 01:57 AM   #1
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Smile Update jailbroken PW2 and K4 to the latest firmware

Hello. I want to sell my old readers. Therefore I want to update them to the latest firmware. The following is available (current version -> last version):

PW2: 5.9.5 -> 5.12.2
KNT4: 4.1.0 -> 5.3.7.3

Can I do this with working JB when I install a current hotfix?

Is it still possible to register the devices at Amazon and buy books there, read on the device. And also to use homebrew software like KOReader without problems?

Last edited by Winkelschraube; 09-05-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Yes to all.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:29 AM   #3
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Thank you very much. Do I have to update to the last jailbreak before applying the latest hotfix? And do I have to apply the last jailbreak after the firmware update again?
Old 09-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
No, hotfix is enough.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #5
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Here's what I do on my PW3:
  1. Leave it in "aeroplane mode" unless I need to sync it (you may not need to do this, but I do a similar thing with my other Kindle and Kobo e-readers anyway)
  2. Enter KUAL, go to Helper, select "ALLOW OTA Updates" and exit.
  3. Copy over the jailbreak survival "update" file (listed in the "snapshots" thread as "K5 JailBreak Hotfix") to the device root and install it, in order to retain the debug commands
  4. After it finishes restarting, copy the actual update file to the device root and install that.
  5. Go to the archive file for the KUAL variant you have installed (or a newer version/variant; I use the "coplate" variant), extract and install the "hotfix" file by copying it to the "mrpackages" folder, disconnect from host, and run MRPI
    [*}After restarting, KUAL should load correctly. Go into that, then "Helper", and select "PREVENT OTA Updates".
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
2. Is irrelevant, especially given 1. . (And, also, defeated on current FW versions anyway).

3. Is unnecessary if you're already running an up-to-date bridge.

5. Will probably need an extra reboot first.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

The PW2 is already sold.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
2. Is irrelevant, especially given 1. . (And, also, defeated on current FW versions anyway).

3. Is unnecessary if you're already running an up-to-date bridge.

5. Will probably need an extra reboot first.
Thanks for correcting me! However, may I ask, what do you mean by the "bridge"?
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:08 AM   #9
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

OT: Mustard > Mayo
Old 09-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@MustardOrMayo: It's the bit of the JB responsible for making the JB survive updates. (e.g., it's what's in the hotfix).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote