Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 05:09 AM   #1
Philipt
Philipt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 650
Do i update firmware.

just started reusing my PRS 650 after 10 years !! The firmware is 1.0.00.08100. i looked at Sony website but last update seems to be for using Kobo. No problems with machine,apart from when on medium font size it can lose some lines when going to next page and i have to change back to small font setting temporarily to read the missing bits.Everything else is fine as i get used it. i am on Windows 10.So all i need to resolve is the font size problem.
Philipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I haven’t turned on my prs lately, but my question for you is are you using prs+ on your 650. Perhaps prs+ will help with your font size.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
Philipt

No PRS+ added yet as I am still reading about what it does! It just has the original firmware 1.0.00.08100. I thought PRS+ was an addition to whatever firmware the machine is running and not actual firmware. I cannot see yet what number firmware is the latest from Sony for the PRS 650,and was really wondering how many updates there has been from the version I have,and more importantly what was changed in the machine's performance with the updates. The latest firmware I can see from Sony is for adding Kobo,but I believe that is now extinct so surely it would now be inconvenient to load that.
Regards.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Philipt

Thanks for reply. I have not tried PRS+ as I am still reading about it !! but I believe that is an just an add on anyway to whatever firmware the machine is running on. I cannot find out how many upgrades there have been from 1.0.00.08100,and what each one changed in the machine's performance. The reason I am reluctant to load the last one I can see from Sony,is because it seems to be for adding Kobo,but I believe that is now extinct so surely it could make life more inconvenient.
Regards
Old 05-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I pulled out my 650 to look at. It has 1.0.00.14080. And prs+ 2.1.02alpha

Regarding fonts, I personally never played with them. But a google search brought me here, http://erhartc.net/ereading/fonts-for-prs/ which looks promising as a how to guide. Good luck!
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:08 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I pulled mine out, too. My Sony is at 1.0.00.14080 which I think must be the last, and my PRS+ is 2.0.18. And yes, I know this thread is old, but…
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Robert Bitzer
Enthusiast
Robert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Kindle Oasis2, Sony PRS-650
Always enjoyed my PRS650 but sold it many years ago. Recently found one on Ebay in perfect condition. Battery is weak so a new one is on the way...its really a great reader and I've enjoyed using it. When I switch to my Kindle Oasis its instantly apparent how much better the tech has evolved, but my Sony is still nicer to hold. Too bad Sony got out of the game.
Robert Bitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
I pulled out my 650 to look at. It has 1.0.00.14080.
That's what my PRS-650 has as well. But I don't know what the release was before the "Kobo" upgrade.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-02-2021 at 08:47 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipt View Post
... No problems with machine,apart from when on medium font size it can lose some lines when going to next page and i have to change back to small font setting temporarily to read the missing bits. ...
I've run into this issue a couple times on my Kobo Mini. It wasn't the Mini, it was the book. It had something to do with how the sections were separated. What fixed it for me was using Calibre to change the page settings and "convert" it back to ePub. But on that book it was only happening when there were "# # #" breaks and at the change in chapters. So it may be a different issue. (I like to convert books for the Sonys anyhow, so I can change the font to Constantia.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipt View Post
just started reusing my PRS 650 after 10 years !! The firmware is 1.0.00.08100. i looked at Sony website but last update seems to be for using Kobo. No problems with machine,apart from when on medium font size it can lose some lines when going to next page and i have to change back to small font setting temporarily to read the missing bits.Everything else is fine as i get used it. i am on Windows 10.So all i need to resolve is the font size problem.
I don't know what the last firmware version is, but I can say for sure that I never had a problem with missing lines with my 650. Can you point out some books where this problem occurs and where in thee books? Do you have PRS+ installed?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote