Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #61
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If you read 2 books or more a month then its worth it but if you like me that takes a while to read a book its actually cheaper for me to buy books for it takes me 6-8 weeks to read 1 book
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:11 AM   #62
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
If you read 2 books or more a month then its worth it but if you like me that takes a while to read a book its actually cheaper for me to buy books for it takes me 6-8 weeks to read 1 book
I read 3 books a week lol
Had the 3 months free Kindle Unlimited over Christmas.
But many of the books I downloaded were not as good as the reviews.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #63
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Do you mean the reviews were worth reading and the books were not?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #64
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
I read 3 books a week lol
Had the 3 months free Kindle Unlimited over Christmas.
That's the beauty of KU, in my eyes. If a book stinks, you simply stop reading it and return it. No harm, no foul. Move on to a different book. There are lots of good books in the KU(niverse), and lots of great new authors.

Yes, there are some stinkers, but where in our lives are there NOT stinkers?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #65
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
In my opinion no unless you read more than 2 books a month. None of my favorite authors are on kindle unlimited and definitely no new releases that im aware of. If you join you may want to look and see if they offer the books your interested in. I read John Grisham, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Phillip Pullman rather exclusively. If Kindle Unlimited offered all new releases and past books of these authors i would do it
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2018, 03:47 AM   #66
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do you mean the reviews were worth reading and the books were not?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I usually rely on the reviews for new authors
Have found a lot of them that way.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #67
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
In my opinion no unless you read more than 2 books a month. None of my favorite authors are on kindle unlimited and definitely no new releases that im aware of. If you join you may want to look and see if they offer the books your interested in. I read John Grisham, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Phillip Pullman rather exclusively. If Kindle Unlimited offered all new releases and past books of these authors i would do it
I fully read about 2-3 books a month, so the monthly cost of a paperback book is a valid subscription cost in my eyes. However, KU allows me to try far more books, in greater depth than I could otherwise. And I don't have to decide if I want to be the first to buy a book that sounds interesting just because no one besides the author's mom has reviewed it.

One of the things I like doing is finding new (to me, at least) authors. If the user only wants to read established authors, KU is not worth the money. But I think KU is a great way to find new authors and reward them with a little spending cash.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #68
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Amazon UK offer

Kindle Unlimited: 3 months for £1.99 open until March 31
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect....a-d896b42e9e7c

Last edited by Little.Egret; 03-19-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 AM   #69
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Amazon UK offer

Kindle Unlimited: 3 months for £1.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/redirect....a-d896b42e9e7c
Thanks very much. I usually just subscribe for just a month now.
So eligible.
I create an Unlimited Wish List then when I have a few books in it I sign up for a month.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #70
Tazling
Tazling began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Marvin
Kindle Unlimited... thoughts after giving it a try

I thought it was a pretty interesting idea and the "free trial" offer was on, or at least some deep sale offer where your first month costs you only $3.99 or something like that. My main interest was in older, nearly OOP books (stuff that is getting harder to find in ratty old paperbacks via Abebooks) -- am starting to get a little embarrassed about the air miles my used books are putting in.

For example it's not so easy to find all the Edmund Crispin Gervase Fen novels any more. Or the Applebys. And some of these "old fashioned" authors are in the KU "free to read" programme. And they do let you DL a copy so you can read even if your internet connection is out (which mine fairly often is -- rural location, lots of power hits). 10 book limit is not bothersome. That keeps me happy for a week or so.

BUT... I think there's a bit of upsell monkey biz going on. After selecting an initial reading list I did some searching for specific hard to find authors and titles and did find a few in KU (yay). A day later I visited Amazon.ca and found that all those titles I had found were mysteriously marked back up to full price.

I have a bad feeling that Amazon might be pulling a wee bit of bait and switch here -- remembering what titles a new KU subscriber searches for specifically by author or title, then next time you look, they mark them up so if you REALLY want that book you have to pay full (Kindle) price. And they already know you want it :-)

Hmmm. That would make KU more of a marketing tool than a "discount shelf".
Tazling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #71
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazling View Post
I thought it was a pretty interesting idea and the "free trial" offer was on, or at least some deep sale offer where your first month costs you only $3.99 or something like that. My main interest was in older, nearly OOP books (stuff that is getting harder to find in ratty old paperbacks via Abebooks) -- am starting to get a little embarrassed about the air miles my used books are putting in.

For example it's not so easy to find all the Edmund Crispin Gervase Fen novels any more. Or the Applebys. And some of these "old fashioned" authors are in the KU "free to read" programme. And they do let you DL a copy so you can read even if your internet connection is out (which mine fairly often is -- rural location, lots of power hits). 10 book limit is not bothersome. That keeps me happy for a week or so.

BUT... I think there's a bit of upsell monkey biz going on. After selecting an initial reading list I did some searching for specific hard to find authors and titles and did find a few in KU (yay). A day later I visited Amazon.ca and found that all those titles I had found were mysteriously marked back up to full price.

I have a bad feeling that Amazon might be pulling a wee bit of bait and switch here -- remembering what titles a new KU subscriber searches for specifically by author or title, then next time you look, they mark them up so if you REALLY want that book you have to pay full (Kindle) price. And they already know you want it :-)

....except that Amazon has nothing to do with which books are in or out of KU--it's the publisher's choice, and the publishers don't know when people look at their books, only when they buy them. Many publishers will put a book in for a 90 day period, then pull them out at the end of that period and put them back to full price.

Sounds like it was just bad luck, sorry.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #72
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I love KU. I've found new authors I enjoy, and genres I've not read before. A lot of "Religious fiction" authors are in KU, and KU is a great way to weed out the decent authors from the ones who believe that anyone who can type can write a book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazling View Post

I think it’s likeliest to be bad timing as that kind of price switch is harder to pull off with digital goods, but. I know more than once I’ve run across an item at Amazon at a good price, but when I looked for it shortly thereafter, the price had gone up. Again, bad timing, except that when I checked the price on a different browser where I had no Amazon cookies, the price was the original lowball price. At that point, if you sign in, you get the lower price.

Quote:
Everything at Amazon is a marketing tool. Once you accept that, you’ll be happier. And why not, in fairness? Can’t expect them to be our best friend unless it’s in their own best interest. I’m quite sure that’s why I’ve never got the sterling customer service others cite; I’m just not a good enough customer.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moved from the General Discussion forum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #75
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Easy enough to test. Start a wishlist of all the KU books you come across that you'd like to read. Wait for a special offer on the deal, then recheck to make sure the books are still available on KU before jumping in.

I found it was pretty easy to get a huge KU wishlist set up before getting the deal. But I stopped after the free time because I found I didn't like feeling like I was reading with a timer. One of the reasons I don't do library books much anymore.

But I found that if I'd paid full price for the books, I'd have come out ahead on KU.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote