Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2016, 03:12 AM   #1
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
Collections created in cloud don't order themselves by alphabetical order

Hello folks of mobileread

I was very glad when amazon rolled out kindle collection management from the manage your content and devices page but now it appears this function creates a problem: the collection I've created by that mean appear by order of creation and not by alphabetical order on my voyage.

The last collection correctly ordered is: Wrede, Patricia
The following collections, in order of appearance, are:
Springer, Nancy
Piers, Anthony
Duncan, Dave
Leagues of Peoples
Castle Perilous
Sapkowski, Andrzej

It's very annoying because when I want to put a book in a collection on my Kindle, if I choose for exemple Sapkowski, the kindle sends me to the page where Sapkowski should be, between Sagara, Michelle and Sanderson, Brandon. And in fact, Sapkowski is at the very end of my list of collections.

Note that once created in the cloud, I had to look for them when I wanted to put them on my kindle. I couldn't find them unless I put collections in the left drop-down menu and recent in the right drop-down menu.

I think that from now on I'll create my collections on my kindle and sync them with the cloud afterwards.

Does anyone else share my experience?
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I tried it just now and see the same behavior. Collections created on the website are shown last when sorted by title on my PW2 running 5.8.7 firmware. I tried a restart and that didn't help. They do sort correctly in the Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS apps.

ETA: I did some more testing and found a work-around for the problem. The "Rename collection" function on the website appears to work properly. I was able to create new collections on the website with a dummy name and then rename them to the proper name using the website and they sorted properly on my kindle.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-24-2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Add info
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
ETA: I did some more testing and found a work-around for the problem. The "Rename collection" function on the website appears to work properly. I was able to create new collections on the website with a dummy name and then rename them to the proper name using the website and they sorted properly on my kindle.
You mean you renamed the faulty collections to a dummy name, then gave them back their name without syncing your kindle in-between? Or you created brand new collections with a dummy name then renamed them correctly? I'm going to test your workaround.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
You mean you renamed the faulty collections to a dummy name, then gave them back their name without syncing your kindle in-between? Or you created brand new collections with a dummy name then renamed them correctly? I'm going to test your workaround.
I created a brand new collection and renamed it using the web interface. I also renamed an existing "bad" collection. In both cases the collection sorted properly on my kindle after the rename.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
septentrion
Addict

I'm going to try that ASAP. I'll let you know how it works.

EDIT: it works perfectly. Changing a letter into a cap and back is enough t put it right. Thank you very much! I hadn't thought of that.

Last edited by septentrion; 12-25-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Advert