Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
zo0m12
zo0m12 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Angry Strange kindle touch - is there any advanced helper?

Hi there, i bought second hand Kindle Touch device ande after while found that there is something strange with it. It can boot and it is working but...
When i turn it on, it boots but in left top corner displays some (i think previous owners) name and kindle displays about 200 items in it. After few seconds name of kindle changes to "My Kindle" and content disappears. Now kindle looks like it is in factory default state. Then i can register it, fill with content, but when i restart it, everything is gone, and repeat the same process again. It happens after reseting device to default also.

I tried kubrick, byt it fails when it tries to enter diags, then device boots normally as every time (strange name, content, then few seconds and its clear) So i tried to enter diags by mfgtool on other pc and continue kubrick wizard but it stuck after it on jailbreak/erase step with FAILED red message.

I can enter diags only through mfgtool. Tried flashing diags and diags_kernel through fastboot, but after setvar to diags and reboot it boots again to normal user state. After accessing diags with mfgtool and starting USBnet and trying putty ssh to 192.168.15.244 i allways get connection refused. I can only ping it. I tried port scanner and it returns all ports closed including port 22. So it looks like it is not flashed with ssh diags.
Is it possible that there was made some previous owner modification which affect normal fastboot flashing? Do you know some way how to beat this kindle? It looks like it is readonly all the way.

my fw version is 5.3.7.2
zo0m12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It sounds like the flash memory is corrupt/damaged. You may just have to recycle it for parts.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'd return it to the seller for a refund. DOA.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
zo0m12
zo0m12 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
i cannot return it. Are you sure it cannot be repaired by me? I will try everything but need some directions. I can copy to kindle storage anything and disconnect storage, reconnect and download it from kindle, everything works fine, but after reboot of kindle there isn't my data, instead there are some files belongs to previous owner.
zo0m12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo0m12 View Post
i cannot return it. Are you sure it cannot be repaired by me? I will try everything but need some directions. I can copy to kindle storage anything and disconnect storage, reconnect and download it from kindle, everything works fine, but after reboot of kindle there isn't my data, instead there are some files belongs to previous owner.
If you have access to the correct type of SMD board re-work equipment that can deal with the BGA eMMC chip - - -
Then yes, you can fix it, just replace the eMMC chip.

Anyone in a University EE course will have access to that equipment in their lab.

- - - - -

Otherwise, its a spare screen.

Last edited by knc1; 05-13-2015 at 07:15 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diag, fastboot, kindle touch