Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #31
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Not from what I have read on the forums.
It depends on what system(s) the Library uses. I think Overdrive is most common and they'll have both epub and Kindle formats for almost everything. There's also Hoopla, Axis360 and maybe some others. For those, I use their android apps, so I'm not sure if epub can be downloaded. Overdrive/Kindle is so easy to use, I think it's preferred by many.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolKitty View Post
Wow, I'm glad to see that my post has generated so much discussion!

On the note of borrowing e-books from the library, I've gotten the impression that epub is the most common/readily available format. Though I'm not sure how prevalent the Kindle e-books have become.
Hmmm.... if you live outside the USA, epub is the format for libraries with a subset in pdf, no Kindle content. Inside the USA, it seems that about 90% of the libraries offer a subset of their epub collection in Kindle format as well though I've seen comments that quite rarely, a book in Kindle format was not also available in epub.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
It depends on what system(s) the Library uses. I think Overdrive is most common and they'll have both epub and Kindle formats for almost everything. There's also Hoopla, Axis360 and maybe some others. For those, I use their android apps, so I'm not sure if epub can be downloaded. Overdrive/Kindle is so easy to use, I think it's preferred by many.
And cloudLibrary, Freading, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #34
SolKitty
SolKitty began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... if you live outside the USA, epub is the format for libraries with a subset in pdf, no Kindle content. Inside the USA, it seems that about 90% of the libraries offer a subset of their epub collection in Kindle format as well though I've seen comments that quite rarely, a book in Kindle format was not also available in epub.
Ah, this makes so much sense! This is probably why I thought Kindle was harder to find than it actually is here in the USA. Thank you.
SolKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #35
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you have a Kindle and live in the US, why do you have to check out ePubs from the library?

I don't check out library books and don't care if you format shift. My question is in part due to my ignorance of how library e-book check out works. I thought in the US, Kindle books were most common at libraries.
Epub are more common-in the IL state library, I can only check out epub.

I just check out epub because way back in the beginning (for me), 2008 or so, people were talking about what format was the best to convert from. Because I like consistency, I picked epub.

I consider my use of libraries like a VCR. I time shift my enjoyment, but still only read the book once and delete it when I am done.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #36
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
I'm primarily a user of my local library, which uses Overdrive/epub primarily. This has led me to consider the KA1 for some time - yet, I'm reluctant; I've read a great deal about quality control issues and I am concerned about having issues after purchase. Is this really as prevalent as it seems?
It might be luck of the draw. The KA1 I had was good in most ways, but the touch digitizer was off by a little, especially in the lower right corner, and the comfort light (ie: the "yellow" light for nighttime reading) would separate into it's component red and green colours at very low light levels.

Quote:
Additionally, being a small person with small hands, I wonder if it would feel too large to handle. To give you some perspective, my previous device is a Nook Simple Touch, 6". I may be using this on my commutes on the subway, too.
I found the size good for reading at home. But I couldn't manage it one handed on the bus. If you sit instead of stand on the subway you should be OK. For reference, the KA1 is very roughly the size of an iPad Mini.

Quote:
Next, I've been hearing about Calibre/side-loading books, but how involved is this? Does this cross legal/moral grounds by removing the DRM?
In the US, I believe the DMCA has a DRM removal exemption for literary works distributed electronically (which I think comes up for renewal some time in 2018). But actual *copying* of electronic books would still be copyright infringement of course.

Personally, I have no moral problem with making backup copies and with format shifting.

I think most people would frown on removing DRM from library books however.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #37
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
In my experience, Overdrive does seem to be the most common in the US, but sometimes it's not just one or the other, either. I was surprised to discover recently that my new library, while offering OD, also buys titles from Cloud Library, and splits their ebook collection between the two with seemingly no rhyme or reason (other than, presumably, whichever gives them the better price?). So one new fiction title I might be looking for might be available on OD, and the next only on CL.
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Here is the wiki pages on libraries https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Category:Library and https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBo...ding_Libraries

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #39
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Your best bet is to consult with your library. They can advice you both on what resources they have now and what they will have in the future. A lot of older library users have trouble with sideloading, so you'll want to have that explained to you in detail. I sideload everything from the library and can use either my Nook or my Kindle easily.

Now that my library has switched to 3M, some of my elderly friends have had to switch to reading using a tablet because ereaders don't come with apps. They don't have computers, so if they want to side load, they have to go to the library.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #40
SolKitty

To update you all, I have gone with the new Kindle Oasis 2017. I just received it a couple days ago. So far, I'm waiting to get my case for it before I use it more extensively.

However, I just noticed this morning that when the screensaver is turned on, whichever screen I was left on bleeds through a little at points. Does anyone know if this is normal? Or is this something to be concerned about? It doesn't bother me right now.

If need be, I can create another thread for this question.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
To update you all, I have gone with the new Kindle Oasis 2017. I just received it a couple days ago. So far, I'm waiting to get my case for it before I use it more extensively.

However, I just noticed this morning that when the screensaver is turned on, whichever screen I was left on bleeds through a little at points. Does anyone know if this is normal? Or is this something to be concerned about? It doesn't bother me right now.

If need be, I can create another thread for this question.
Nothing to be worried about. The sleep image is just there to let you know the Oasis is in sleep mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's called "ghosting", and is entirely normal with eInk screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #43
SolKitty

Oh great, good to know it is normal. Thank you!