Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Check out James D. Best for a new writer. The Shopkeeper is the first in his "Steve Dancy Tales", which is up to four books now. I read the first book, and thought it was okay.

As mentioned, Larry McMurtry has a good "Lonesome Dove" series. Below is the chronological order with the published year in parenthesis. I enjoyed all four of these.

Dead Man's Walk (1995)
Comanche Moon (1997)
Lonesome Dove (1985)
Streets of Laredo (1993)

Also mentioned, Elmore Leonard. Check out The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard. I'm not big on short stories, but these were pretty good when I wanted something quick to read.
Thanks. I didn't know about the 3 later ones.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He said he needed paper books.

You're right! (I just now see that.)

------------------

Paperbacks only?

1) Used bookstores, especially used PAPERBACK stores.
2) Flea markets.
3) Consignment shops that have a mixture of STUFF.
4) Ebay - bid on a Western 'Lot', rather than on individual used Westerns.
5) Antique stores [low end]: They often will have used paperbacks at 'normal' prices.
6) Estate sales [low end]: Sometimes, you'll find BOXES of used books.

GOOD LUCK!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You're right! (I just now see that.)

------------------

Paperbacks only?

1) Used bookstores, especially used PAPERBACK stores.
2) Flea markets.
3) Consignment shops that have a mixture of STUFF.
4) Ebay - bid on a Western 'Lot', rather than on individual used Westerns.
5) Antique stores [low end]: They often will have used paperbacks at 'normal' prices.
6) Estate sales [low end]: Sometimes, you'll find BOXES of used books.

GOOD LUCK!
You forgot thrift stores.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You forgot thrift stores.

Thank you.

And thrift stores!

Old 12-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
but of course, the OP was looking for authors/books. Not places to buy old paperbacks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 03:10 AM   #21
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
but of course, the OP was looking for authors/books. Not places to buy old paperbacks.
Yep. with authors known, I can find the books someplace. It's just that *I* read mostly SF. Mom's been doing mysteries for so long that I have some ideas there (and I read mysteries when there isn't anything else.... On a long bus ride with a box of books, I read everything in the box, but that was before ebook days)

Thanks for the suggestions. I vaguely remember him mentioning Luke Short, and Max Brand and Louis L'Amour also sound familiar. In the interest of something new, I think I'll steer him towards the Powder Valley series.

Roger
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Yep. with authors known, I can find the books someplace. It's just that *I* read mostly SF. Mom's been doing mysteries for so long that I have some ideas there (and I read mysteries when there isn't anything else.... On a long bus ride with a box of books, I read everything in the box, but that was before ebook days)

Thanks for the suggestions. I vaguely remember him mentioning Luke Short, and Max Brand and Louis L'Amour also sound familiar. In the interest of something new, I think I'll steer him towards the Powder Valley series.

Roger

I remember those Powder Valley westerns as good, clean fun. -- In fact, perhaps your father read a few back in his day?

The fact is that I've been looking for them for years, never realizing that Brett Halliday was the author. (He's also the author of the Mike Shayne mystery/PI series. As well, there was a TV series from the late '50s.)

Please post a follow-up on your results.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-19-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Shane to Shayne
Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Louis L'Amour books are definitely worth rereading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's the Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch series by Robert B. Parker and continued by Robert Knott.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #25
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Another more recent Western is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. I'm sure that it would still be in libraries. I grew up on L'Amour, Brand and Grey. The Sisters Brothers is not a horse opera like most of the older books are, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Another more recent Western is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt...
Yet another from my TBR pile.

What did you think of the book?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #27
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yet another from my TBR pile.

What did you think of the book?
I thought The Sisters Brothers was okay (3 stars), but as noted in my full full Goodreads' review, it really doesn't read or feel like typical westerns mentioned in this thread, which is why I didn't list it in my recommendations.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

There's a possibility your Dad may have read some of Joseph A. Altsheler's books.

They fall into a number of various categories and are CLEAN reads and are for teen readers which - now due to declining levels of literacy in this day and age - would probably be more suitable for adults.

They're available FREE as ebooks, but you'll have to check around the libraries for paper copies.

Here is a breakdown of categories from the FREE ebook anthology:

The Civil War Series
The French and Indian War Series
The Gold Series
The Great West Series
The Texan Series
The World War Series
The Young Trailers Series
Altsheler's Stories
Altsheler's Novels
Old 12-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #29
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Also, if there is a senior center, that may be another place to get books for uncle and mom. I donated 4 boxes of westerns and 1 box of cozies to our local senior center only a few months ago (mom prefers her Paperwhite). They were very popular.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #30
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Also, if there is a senior center, that may be another place to get books for uncle and mom. I donated 4 boxes of westerns and 1 box of cozies to our local senior center only a few months ago (mom prefers her Paperwhite). They were very popular.
He lives in a senior apartment complex. They just took out all the common area bookcases, because the books got infested with bedbugs. Guess that's a true western environment.

Powder Valley. Geez. 64 Books in a series and the library only has 3. Plus 5 other books by Peter Field, only one of which I even *found* on goodreads. Guess I'm stuck with a more popular or recent author.

Does anyone have a recommended reading order for Louis L'Amour? Goodreads doesn't list most of them as a series.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote