Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
kwokhin
Enthusiast
kwokhin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Fear of turning 2 pages with 1 touch

Hello guys. I've been using my Kobo Glo HD for quite some time and I like it a lot. However, I always have this weird phobia of turning more than 1 page when touching for the next page. I always have to check by turning to the left to see whether it's REALLY the previous page. This is troubling and highly destructive to my reading.

I searched for a solution for a remote page turner but obviously it's only possible for a Kindle or else it's very difficult to do.

Does anymore have such concern or any solution to ease my problem without the need to resort to buying a new e-reader with physical buttons?

Thank you!
kwokhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I used a Kobo Glo for the past year, and never had that problem. If there were any page-turn glitches, it was the device not turning a page when the screen was touched. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 taps before the screen would react.

I can’t remember it ever turning more than one page at a time.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You buy a Reader with buttons and the buttons can have button bounce where you get multiple presses registered with one press. The only way to overcome this phobia is to just ignore it. I have an H2O and I've never had a double page turn. What you can do it set the Glo HD to swipe instead of tap.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
You can always turn back a page....problem solved.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwokhin View Post
Hello guys. I've been using my Kobo Glo HD for quite some time and I like it a lot. However, I always have this weird phobia of turning more than 1 page when touching for the next page. I always have to check by turning to the left to see whether it's REALLY the previous page. This is troubling and highly destructive to my reading.

I searched for a solution for a remote page turner but obviously it's only possible for a Kindle or else it's very difficult to do.

Does anymore have such concern or any solution to ease my problem without the need to resort to buying a new e-reader with physical buttons?

Thank you!
I've seen the double (or at times no) page turn on my Glo HD (using Tap as opposed to swipe), but find with the most recent f/w this happens a great deal less.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
kwokhin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I used a Kobo Glo for the past year, and never had that problem. If there were any page-turn glitches, it was the device not turning a page when the screen was touched. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 taps before the screen would react.

I can’t remember it ever turning more than one page at a time.
The screen is still very sensitive and even a slight touch would register (correctly). I tried double tap and it did turn 2 pages.

Thanks for the reassuring words. I appreciate such a quick response
Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
kwokhin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You buy a Reader with buttons and the buttons can have button bounce where you get multiple presses registered with one press. The only way to overcome this phobia is to just ignore it. I have an H2O and I've never had a double page turn. What you can do it set the Glo HD to swipe instead of tap.
> multiple presses registered with one press

Hmm... You're right. So using a remote page turner or a device with buttons wouldn't quite solve my problem.
Swiping seems a good choice but I usually read with a pen to guide my eyes so still need to figure out a way to read comfortably and conveniently. Thanks for the reassuring words
Old 11-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwokhin View Post
> multiple presses registered with one press

Hmm... You're right. So using a remote page turner or a device with buttons wouldn't quite solve my problem.
Swiping seems a good choice but I usually read with a pen to guide my eyes so still need to figure out a way to read comfortably and conveniently. Thanks for the reassuring words
Maybe find a font that better suits your eyes and go with a larger size.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
kwokhin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've seen the double (or at times no) page turn on my Glo HD (using Tap as opposed to swipe), but find with the most recent f/w this happens a great deal less.
I just updated the firmware and changed the page turner by taping the bottom and under the "Page forward and back by: Swiping only". This option never existed before the firmware update so it's good to have it. It feels more secure now. Thank you

Last edited by kwokhin; 11-27-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
. I tried double tap and it did turn 2 pages.
Well sure. Two taps, two pages turned. As it should be. I don’t see the problem.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
kwokhin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Well sure. Two taps, two pages turned. As it should be. I don’t see the problem.
I do see my irrationality (somehow one tap would register as two quick taps) and that's why I called it phobia lol

I updated the firmware, changed the page turning setting and I'm much more comfortable with it now. Thank you! Didn't expect such prompt replies. Have a nice day!
Old 11-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Happy to help.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Also, of course, you can glance at the page number in the page footer before and after changing the page. Unlike Kindle, Kobo page numbers are really screen numbers (for most books), so if the page number has gone up by one, you're all set, and don't have to page back.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Also, of course, you can glance at the page number in the page footer before and after changing the page. Unlike Kindle, Kobo page numbers are really screen numbers (for most books), so if the page number has gone up by one, you're all set, and don't have to page back.
What page footer?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Not if you read epubs rather than kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote