Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Vintage (e)book appearance -- Your preference?
Old-fashioned and "aged" 10 7.41%
Old-fashioned but clean 36 26.67%
Modern appearance 39 28.89%
Don't care - I'll read it as-is 28 20.74%
Don't care - I'll change it anyway 19 14.07%
I don't read "vintage" books 3 2.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Vintage (e)book appearance -- Your preference?

I read somewhere a forum post or blog, by someone discussing finding "aged-paper" for a background image to go with the battered typeface font he had found, to use in preparing an ebook of an old novel.

I started thinking, perhaps I should try that for my next public domain rehab project, maybe some folks would like that. Thus, the birth of this poll.

So, what's YOUR preferance? (Ignore the fact of what your Reader does or doesn't support, what do you really like?)

1) I want it to show its age, with battered typeface and torn-paper background with soup-stains (scratch-and-sniff mildew, too, please?)

2) I want it just like the first edition, but looking clean and spanky new, hot off the press, newly delivered by the postman.

3) I want it with modern layout and punctuation and (sometimes) modern fonts for titles and headings.

4) I don't care; if I want to read it, I'll take it as it comes.

5) I don't care; I will rip out the illustrations and fonts and standardize it to match the rest of my collection.

6) I am not the demographic you are looking for. I don't read books published before I was born.

What do you like? Chime in.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Picked old fashioned/aged...but mostly because I would like to see how the CSS/effects were done.
I know my kids tend NOT to read a book if it looks worn - they think it is too "old and boring"... So I trick 'em and put a new cover and clean pages and they love them!

Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Background 'Paper' effects reduce contrast on 8 level EINK displays and make it tiresome for these 'vintage' and worn eyes
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What's the point? I read for the text. I want the sharpest text and the clearest pages possible. And I want to make the font the size and style that is easiest for me to read. I don't want my options locked in by the publisher which is what this would need.

Like fake page turns. Pointless waste of programming and memory space.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, early results are showing a trend towards ... eclectic tastes? (One vote each for the first 4 choices)

@turtle, it is mean to trick little kids that way!
Not really, anything that encourages reading is good strategy.

@theducks, yeah, I've noticed that too. I'll bet my eyes are more vintage than yours.
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@crossi, I agree with you, as far as my own tastes are concerned. I made the poll, because "maybe some folks would like that", and it might make an interesting one-off project.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I picked old-fashioned and aged because I'm just that way.

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have an e-ink reader so aged paper would never work. But can you specify your own backgrounds on the standard reading apps on tablets, like Kindle and iBooks? Or would you have to create an app for this, or (shudder) make each page an image?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't very much care, but I like to think it should use typefaces from its own era.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This isn't an eBook project. Make a set of web pages or a PDF. My personal opinion is that a reader will find it tiresome after a very few pages. But don't let me stop you trying!

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 05-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show

I never change the font of the books I read. To me, a font is a font is a font. When I turn my K4 on, I read. I never use the dictionaries, never take notes, never underline or highlight passages, etc. Those features are wasted on me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I never change the font of the books I read. To me, a font is a font is a font.
Unless it's Comic Sans :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Just use modern logical markup and let the reader decide. As many have mentioned, background images don't work well for ereaders. If you're attempting to read in sunlight, background images don't work well for tablets either (since it diminishes what little contrast you do have). On top of that, there are ereading apps for tablets that let you change the font and background image, to give you a vintage or modern appearance.

For what it's worth, I agree with tubemonkey: a font is a font. They only time the font annoys me is when it's hard to read.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
What's the point? I read for the text. I want the sharpest text and the clearest pages possible. And I want to make the font the size and style that is easiest for me to read. I don't want my options locked in by the publisher which is what this would need.

Like fake page turns. Pointless waste of programming and memory space.
That !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Unless it's Comic Sans :-)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote