Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's a very worthwhile investment to buy a decent dictionary. It's a one-time payment which will work with all your books.
Is the Chambers 10th a British-English dictionary?
I'm a bit wary of buying one and finding it's an American-English edition. (As the online shops probably cater more for the American market.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Is the Chambers 10th a British-English dictionary?
I'm a bit wary of buying one and finding it's an American-English edition. (As the online shops probably cater more for the American market.)
Yes, it's a British dictionary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed the Chambers 10th edition, but it doesn't behave as I would expect.
The lookup works ok, but you can't page forward very far before it drops to the CyBook boot logo.
Also the intial menu displays 5 items: Headword Search, Full Text Search, Cover page, Pronunciation guide, and Copyright.
But, the search items aren't selectable - it seems the only way to look up a definition is to find the word in a text, and take the 'Lookup' option from there. I was hoping I could browse it like a pDictionary.

I wondered if it was behaving like this because I intially put it on my SD card - but it does the same if it's on the device.

I got it my copy from Books on Board - they said it was 'easy to navigate'
I've tried downloading it a few times in case it was a transfer issue but it makes no difference.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what
Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "search" functions only currently work if you use the Mobi desktop reader. I'd suggest registering it for both your PC and your Gen3. That way you'll be able to do "Lookups" on the Gen3, and proper searches on the desktop. That's the way that I use it. The lookup function works fine on the Gen3.

The occasional "reboot" while using a dictionary is a known bug. I've reported it to Bookeen. There's a thread about it somewhere here.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 AM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard

Thanks Harry.
Yesterday, I reported my woes to BooksOnBoard, and they were very quick to try to help, before referring it to MobiPocket for a fix - I've let them know it's likely a Bookeen issue, rather than anything to do with the file.
Hats off to BooksOnBoard, though, for some excellent customer care
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Took me a couple tries but you need to do the following.

1. download "Webster1913.001.zip"
2. download "Webster1913.002.zip"
3. download and install 7-zip
4. rename "Webster1913.001.zip" to "Webster1913.zip.001"
5. rename "Webster1913.002.zip" to ""Webster1913.zip.002"
6. Right-click on "Webster1913.zip.001" and select "7-zip->Extract to Webster1913\"

7-zip will find both files and combine and unzip them. 7-zip and renaming are required for this to work. This will result /Webster1913/Webster1913.prc.

If you have cygwin installed I assume you can do "cat Webster1913.001.zip Webster1913.002.zip > webster.zip" and just unzip the resulting file.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Quote:
If you have cygwin installed I assume you can do "cat Webster1913.001.zip Webster1913.002.zip > webster.zip" and just unzip the resulting file.
as a regular windows user you can do Start -> type "cmd" -> go to the folder you downloaded the two files and then type:
"copy /b Webster1913.001.zip + Webster1913.002.zip Webster1913.zip"
Now you can open the resulting Webster1913.zip.

Thank you for the download. I would be interested in a free "modern" dictonary either.

If I go for the chambers or any other DRMed dictionary, will I have to leave my Cybook powered on to use it (Just half knowledge about a bug in the Cybook "loosing the license" for a bought DRMed book when turned off) ?

Anybody ever tried to do a dictionary prc from wictionary ? Would it be worth the effort ?

Last edited by ppxnouse; 12-29-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added questions
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
If I go for the chambers or any other DRMed dictionary, will I have to leave my Cybook powered on to use it (Just half knowledge about a bug in the Cybook "loosing the license" for a bought DRMed book when turned off) ?
No, certainly not. You're referring to library books which have a "date limited" DRM mechanism. "Normal" Mobi DRM works just fine.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #24
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Thank you for clarification. I mixed that up.

I still have problems spending much money on a dictionary, if I am not sure I will still be able to use it in a few years. Some of my dictionaries are 20 years + and they are still fine.

I somehow doubt, that a mobipocket dictionary will be usable on a new eReader in 10 years.
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:29 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
I somehow doubt, that a mobipocket dictionary will be usable on a new eReader in 10 years.
Mobi have been around "forever" in eBook terms. They are far MORE likely to be around in 10 years time than any other vendor. They've been selling eBooks for the last 10 years; no reason to suppose they won't still be selling them in another 10.

Personally speaking, even if I could "only" use a dictionary for 10 years I'd consider that I'd got value for money from it. The language does change over time; buying a new dictionary every 10 years is not unreasonable.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #26
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
Actually, you can also do:
cat Webster1913.001.zip Webster1913.002.zip > Webster1913.zip
and then unzip the resulting Webster1913.zip

EDIT: Oops I didn't read the second page of posts. Sorry

Last edited by Martijn; 01-05-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #27
tanir
tanir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson P1i / mobipocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The commercial dictionaries you can buy for the Gen3 (and other Mobi devices) have all the inflected forms of words in them (or at least, the Chambers dictionary, which I bought, does).

I think it's a very worthwhile investment to buy a decent dictionary. It's a one-time payment which will work with all your books.
I would really like to buy, but as I have mentioned I dont have any credit card (a choice not to have) and here in Cambodia there is no available phone dictionary for SE P1i

I wish I could have one. Thanks harry!
tanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #28
tanir

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Thanks Tompe, I will try that, cause I am using zip9 and that could be the problem. I will try.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #29
ragdoll
Connoisseur
ragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V1
Too many results

I'm using to dictionaries: GCIDE and Webster's.
When I look for a word I get many results form the latter and only one, with multiple meanings from the former.
This leads to a very slow use of the Webster's dictionary.
Is there a way to compress the multiple meanings of a word into a single result?
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #30
tanir

wowee

Hi Carld, I did follow your genius instructions and I am a glad person to have a dictionary for my sony ericsson p1i. I just like to thank Jbenny & you for the help.

Anymore mobipocket references you could share?

Thanks again