Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
NiaTrue
Edge User

Thumbs up Zinio Reader on Ermine

This is a huge feather in the ermine build's cap for me: Zinio reader works and looks beautiful. I love being able to read the magazines I subscribe to with Zinio and page through the full-page, full-color photos. Fab. U. Lous.

You'll need to install a series of three apks to get it in full working order. PM me if you want them.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

That is quite the feather! I haven't used Zinio for a while, but I imagine it'll give a better magazine reading experience that what we've seen with newspapers.

Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Thanks - works great. Here's a link http://www.geardiary.com/2011/03/18/...ndroid-device/

Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Librarian
Edge User

Ermine/Zino ?

What does Ermine do? I've seen it mentioned on several forums, however can figure out what it does.

I'm using Zino on my laptop -- can I download Ermine &/or Zinio to my Edge?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
canezila
Edge User

Zinio is blocked at my school. Must be something exciting or informative.

Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
canezila
Edge User

wait.. wast that too sarcastic?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
What does Ermine do? I've seen it mentioned on several forums, however can figure out what it does.

I'm using Zino on my laptop -- can I download Ermine &/or Zinio to my Edge?
"Ermine" is the latest system software for the eDGe, which includes an update of the Android operating system to version 2.2.1 ("Froyo"). It's like Windows 7 if you currently are running Windows Vista.

There are other threads on how to download and install Ermine. This current thread is about downloading and installing Zinio for Android on the eDGe.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Michealj
Edge User

Hi Nia, what version of Zinio are you running? I found the three apk's on Mediafire but the Zinio apk is a v 1.0 beta and just goes into an endless loop when I try to run it.

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I can't answer for Nia, but if you follow my link above in post #3 you will end up with version 1.0.1101, which works fine for me.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
NiaTrue
Edge User

Hi Michaelj:

Some users have reported that the order in which you install the APKs makes a difference. I suggest you uninstall all three of them, then reinstall them in this order: PressReader, ReadsHub, Zinio. You will not see Zinio in your app menu; to open the app, open ReadersHub.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Michealj
Edge User

Hello. Cheyennedonna, I did follow your link to GearDiary which took me to xda developers and I resisted the urge to join another group. Since joining this forum it seems my list of forums I need to log into has grown dramatically and I can be easily confused these days. But, I relented and joined this morning, downloaded the files and installed them.

Nia, I installed following the install instructions in your post above and the installs went smoothly. I was able to create an account on zinio, but it won't run for me. It just keeps starting over and over. A force close message appears and then the app starts again. Not the reader hub but zinio. I had read that the version I found was buggy, v 1.0 beta, so I wanted to find a later release hoping it would fix the issue. I'll keep looking for a solution, because it looks like an interesting and useful application.

Thanks again to both of you.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 04-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
STL Droid
Edge User

That's good to know, I was just about to go out and download the files myself.

I think maybe we should stop overall calling this a Froyo build, it's more of a Froyo-like build. I have many apps that just won't install as they require "Froyo" and I have others that will?

What about a general thread listing what apps people have successfully installed on the EE and PE that would be Froyo-like?
For example, DioPen works well.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
Nia, I installed following the install instructions in your post above and the installs went smoothly. I was able to create an account on zinio, but it won't run for me. It just keeps starting over and over. A force close message appears and then the app starts again. Not the reader hub but zinio. I had read that the version I found was buggy, v 1.0 beta, so I wanted to find a later release hoping it would fix the issue. I'll keep looking for a solution, because it looks like an interesting and useful application.
Odd. I'm running v1.0.1101, and it works perfectly. Try downloading the files I used.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Droid View Post
What about a general thread listing what apps people have successfully installed on the EE and PE that would be Froyo-like?
For example, DioPen works well.
Sounds like a good plan. Since it was your idea ...

Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Michealj
Edge User

Hi Nia, thanks for the files. I uninstalled and reinstalled using your files and in the order recommended, unfortunately the result is the same. The press reader and readers hub work well. Zinio asked me to log into my account, accepted it, and then it searches or processes then I get a "force close" message. There must be a setting or something in my setup. perhaps it is connected with my browser instability.

Thank you for the files.

Regards,

Micheal