Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Kobo Books Disappear

I have found when I log out of my Kobo account on my Itouch, {using my Kobo app} all my public domain books I "purchased" disappear.

Since these are free books that is hard to understand. Why does it say "all local content will be removed when I log out."

My kindle app does not do that.

This is making me uneasy about purchasing a Kobo device itself. So if my wireless goes off, these books are gone too?
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
If you turn off your wireless on the Kobo eReader, it will still have all your books there. In fact that's how I imagine most people will read (on the subway, etc).

Signing out is not something you should have to do on other Kobo apps though, unless there's some corruption in the local content or some other major issue, it serves as a good 'resetting'. Once you sign back in, it will download all books to your device again with your bookmarks preseved.

It's very rare for anyone to explicitly sign out. Was there a particular reason you were signing out?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Interesting 'Use Case', Sameer. In fact, I pretty near always sign out from any site I sign in to. It tells the server my session is finished. Maybe I know too much about how web servers work?

Actually, Mobileread is probably the only site that I automatically log in at and never explicitly log out.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Interesting 'Use Case', Sameer. In fact, I pretty near always sign out from any site I sign in to. It tells the server my session is finished. Maybe I know too much about how web servers work?

Actually, Mobileread is probably the only site that I automatically log in at and never explicitly log out.
I was speaking of the Kobo eReader specifically. I may have misunderstood the context of the question.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
How do purchases get authenticated on the wireless reader and the various other platform Kobo apps (iOS, Android, webOS, BB, etc)? If you leave the apps logged in then is it still a 1-click-purchase for books or do you require a password to handle the purchase?

I wouldn't want to leave my apps logged in if I let someone use my device temporarily and they mistakenly start purchasing books with my account. On my webOS phone this is handled by requiring a password to handle purchases through their App Catalog while free apps etc download without authenticating my account.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

I appreciate your responses. I work in IT, and hence my experience is to almost always log out of a session. Indeed, I don't cache my passwords on any local box either.

My immediate concern though was if you "purchased" a book, why should it disappear like it does. I mean, sounds a lot like the Kindle issue several years ago where they took back that one book some people had purchased.

Indeed, that is one reason I have been looking at the Kobo. I want the security to know the books are mine once I purchase them and they just won't disappear someday.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Themus
Zealot

BTW, the Books are Disappearing on my Itouch

I reckon I wasn't clear. I am looking at buying a Kobo, so I tried the Kobo Itouch app. It's when I logout of my Kobo account the books disappear. And I don't desire to turn off the wireless connection for my entire Itouch. There doesn't appear to be a way to disable the wireless soley for the Kobo app.