Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
Price of books in itunes

I was just browsing the iTunes store and was shocked to see them charging over 23 for a new book that is only 12 on amazon. Do they think everyone is a fool? If I am going to pay full hard cover price then I want the hardcover, at least then I can lend it to others or give it to a library, plus if I buy the hardcover at barnes and noble I get a discount.
Looks like we have to shop around before buying the book. Also at full hardcover price there is no justification for drm.
My wife likes the iBooks program more than the kindle app so it looks like I will be converting kindle to pub with no drm so she can read in iBooks
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
don't forget to check kobobooks.com and barnesandnobel.com. it pays to shop around..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

I do I even buy from Sony then covert. I do not see a problem in converting as long as it is for my use since I paid for it
Old 06-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
cavi
Connoisseur

Slight update, I goofed I was looking at the prices of audiobooks not the ebooks, the price of the ebook was the same as amazon, I feel better. Sorry for the goof
Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

even then, pays to shop around. might save a few bucks, and it all adds up.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
+1 to the shop around..... I don't buy books from Apple, they tend to be cheaper at Kobo and Amazon....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

i refuse to buy books from apple because you can't strip the DRM (yet). even if i pay a buck or two more elsewhere (which is not the case anyway) i'd still be happy to do so knowing i can strip the DRM and future-proof my purchase.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i refuse to buy books from apple because you can't strip the DRM (yet). even if i pay a buck or two more elsewhere (which is not the case anyway) i'd still be happy to do so knowing i can strip the DRM and future-proof my purchase.
Agreed. Apple's bookstore suffers from DRM, higher prices (not always, but more often than not), poorer selection and a crummy UI.

Apple could be King Kong in this market, I'm willing to give them time to learn and to grow. But for now, Sony and Amazon are my favorite stores - good selection (both), good UI (Amazon), decent pricing (both) and easily scrubbed and converted files (both).

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote