Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
geekmaster is unavailable.

There are different models of the Kindle DX (all are 3G only), not all using the AT&T network.
Please post (only) the first four characters of the device serial number (that is the encoded model number).
With that information, we can tell you if it is or is not a user of the AT&T network.

The search bar commands are Amazon provided features, no jailbreak required.
The set time command is:
;setTime
or:
;st

The date, time entry format is: yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM
For example:
;st 2012-07-22 17:59

The Wiki link is:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin..._functionality

The time and date entry format is also shown in the table at the above wiki link.

Last edited by knc1; 04-11-2017 at 10:14 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I fear permanently, given how little time he had left when we heard from him last
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I fear permanently, given how little time he had left when we heard from him last
Not yet.
He is rebuilding his home computer system, at least as-of a few hours ago.

Mostly, it is just that Kindles are not his #1 hobby at this time, so he doesn't visit here very often.
But it is possible to get a message to him if required.

Last edited by knc1; 04-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #19
StoneyC
StoneyC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX issue

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

The serial starts with B009. It's a Kindle DX Graphite.

I've tried that command, but wasn't sure if it worked, since I don't see time stamp on any screen. Where can I check the system time on a Kindle DX?

Also may I ask how to access the search page? Is it through "Menu -> Settings -> Search"? And do I pick "Search device" option on that page?

Thanks again for your attention.

Best regards

Quote:

There are different models of the Kindle DX (all are 3G only), not all using the AT&T network.
Please post (only) the first four characters of the device serial number (that is the encoded model number).
With that information, we can tell you if it is or is not a user of the AT&T network.

The search bar commands are Amazon provided features, no jailbreak required.
The set time command is:
;setTime
or:
;st

The date, time entry format is: yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM
For example:
;st 2012-07-22 17:59

The Wiki link is:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin..._functionality

The time and date entry format is also shown in the table at the above wiki link.
StoneyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #20
castell
castell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did you manually download the certificate update, and set the date?
Hi knc1 and Geekmaster, thanks very much for the interest & advice

My issues looks very similar to StonyC (hi stony), except that i have full bars/connectivity & can access the amazon store no problem.

My device is a DXG (B009), same as StonyC. I manually installed the software update and the 'Kindle Services update' and have spent hours online with Amazon tech help trying different network settings (they are amazingly helpful, btw, just equally flummoxed).

Have not tried setting the date though - I am travelling but will give it a try when I return in a few days & report back.

Is manually downloading the certificate the same as the 'kindle services update'? If its different I'll try that also, if anyone has a link for the certificate?

Thanks again & more soon...
castell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

And what does your ;311 page have to say?

Anything about "AT&T microcell" ?
Anything about certificates?

- - - -

The B009 model should be able to use the original AT&T cellular access points, I don't know about this type - it is newer than the DXG.
I.E: Newer than the radio modem in the DXG.

- - - -

If you can connect to the access point, and access the Amazon store - what is the nature of your problem?
How is it similar to that of the O.P.'s?

Last edited by knc1; 04-14-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:43 AM   #22
castell

Hi knc1,

Same as the OP in that the device can connect, but cannot register - I also get the same error message and have the same info on the 411 screen ('certificate: missing').

Only caveat is that i'm based in Thailand at the moment so outside the US - so the 311 screen shows local networks - Amazon service does not believe that is part of the issue however. So far we've also established with Amazon that the device is not blacklisted/registered stolen, and whispernet is available and my location. Amazon help has gone ahead and registered the device in the system at their end, so it shows up online on my account - only issue is that the device doesn't know its registered, and still shows 'not registered' on settings screen and therefore cannot purchase any books or link to the Amazon account.

All of the updates noted above have been side-loaded again after a factory re-set to be on the safe side, but no change of behaviour. Have also just confirmed that time is set correctly via the 611 screen.

Hence flummoxed, I'm afraid - do you think that maybe the age of the device means that it is expecting a different digital certificate to the one its getting from the amazon server over whispernet?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by castell View Post
- - - -
Hence flummoxed, I'm afraid - do you think that maybe the age of the device means that it is expecting a different digital certificate to the one its getting from the amazon server over whispernet?
No, because that was the special update you installed last March.

Note: It does not change the firmware version number, so if you don't recall installing it, do it again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201504450
The link that is called: Amazon Services Update.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #24
castell

Quote:
No, because that was the special update you installed last March.

Note: It does not change the firmware version number, so if you don't recall installing it, do it again.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201504450
The link that is called: Amazon Services Update.

Ah thanks - yes definitely installed it (first the firmware update, then the Amazon Services Update) & appeared successful (insofar as the side-loaded file was recognised as an update by the device and used when 'update my kindle' was selected). After the problem persisted I even tried the Amazon Services Update a second time, just to be sure.

Question then would be why the 411 page still shows certificate as 'missing', and how to address it - any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #25
Gazerwolf
Enthusiast
Gazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheese

Device: 2 K2 Int, K4 SO, K4 Keyboard, Kindle DXG,Voyage(broke screen)PW4
Maybe try it again...maybe you had a bad download or something.

My DXG says the Certificate is found.
Gazerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #26
Joebh
Joebh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Same problem here, I did a Reset to factory defaults. I can access the kindle store but can't connect on registration. I had amazon guys register the kindle on the backend, but it doesn't sync to device. I'm fully updated, with both the updates from the help page.

Same on 411 page the `certificate: missing`. Kindle support offered me 45 bucks off of the kindle white though....

Anyone find a fix for this yet?
Joebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebh View Post
Same problem here, I did a Reset to factory defaults. I can access the kindle store but can't connect on registration. I had amazon guys register the kindle on the backend, but it doesn't sync to device. I'm fully updated, with both the updates from the help page.

Same on 411 page the `certificate: missing`. Kindle support offered me 45 bucks off of the kindle white though....

Anyone find a fix for this yet?
None reported here yet.

Only one person mentioned any details of the 3G access points (the short name used by the carrier).
Post what your DX has to say on the subject.
You may have to use ;311 and/or ;711 (;611 maybe) to get more details.
Also mention the indicated signal strengths.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #28
Joebh
Joebh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
None reported here yet.

Only one person mentioned any details of the 3G access points (the short name used by the carrier).
Post what your DX has to say on the subject.
You may have to use ;311 and/or ;711 (;611 maybe) to get more details.
Also mention the indicated signal strengths.
My 3G options are `AT&T MicroCell (3G)`, `AT&T MicroCell (2G)`. `AT&T MicroCell (3G)`

Single strength here in Charlotte is averaging around 3 bars.
Joebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebh View Post
My 3G options are `AT&T MicroCell (3G)`, `AT&T MicroCell (2G)`. `AT&T MicroCell (3G)`

Single strength here in Charlotte is averaging around 3 bars.
That is the same equipment description as the one person who did report the information.

And actually, your Kindle should be able to use either the 3G or the 2G cell access points.

I suspect that this AT&T configuration is a (relatively) new one.
Which means it may not have support for the M-M AT&T service provided by the Amazon (AT&T) account.
Or it just does not accept the same certificate(s) that the older configuration uses.

We could probable do some more information discovery, but in the end, it is Amazon that will have to make the changes in their AT&T account.

I suggest that you contact customer service and escalate your report up the food chain until you reach someone high enough to deal with Amazon-AT&T contract problems.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #30
Fixenstuff
Fixenstuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
After spending over 5 hrs wit Kindle customer support. I decided to search on my own and I came upon this site. I fixed my Kindle DX with help from and here’s how I did it.

With all due respect guys, it has nothing to do with ATT's signal. My area is TMobile and I got my Kindle DX working.

What no one figured out, is that there is 2 patches for Kindle DX.

The first patch will upgrade your Kindle DX to version 2.5.8, it is called (Software Update 2.5.8). If it is already updated, you do not need to repeat the first step.

The second patch is a service update (This is why is say's there is no certificate, and that one is called (Services Update). It is the second update that will connect your Kindle DX to Whispernet, update your certificate and it will allow you to register it.

I went to the following webpage that eschwartz posted. Thank you very much eschwartz, I do appreciate it. Below is the webpage,

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates/dx

Good luck guys. This worked for me and it will work for you.
Fixenstuff is offline   Reply With Quote