Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
Updating from version 2.78 to 3.15.0

Hi, I'm using the Calibre happily and have not updated since the version 2.78... Now I decided it's the time to get more modern, so I would like to ask:
Is it safe to update without any nasty surprise?
Will everything work as I like?
Will my configs be still there?
Thank you.
-------------
Using: W7ultimate(x64)

Last edited by Bigo2; 01-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
just to be extra safe, Backup (Right-click The Library Icon: Export

Been updating since 2.x , never needed it, but you are taking a bit larger step.
So backup

(You really should already have one. The few bad system failures, happened without warning )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thanks theduck - I proceeded as you recommended, installed the version 3.15.0 and so far all is OK.
Except... when adding a new book, before downloading metadata for it, at the top of the book details column on the right side there is a horrible default bluish representation for the cover, something like from 18th century. How can I change it to something watchable?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo2 View Post
Thanks theduck - I proceeded as you recommended, installed the version 3.15.0 and so far all is OK.
Except... when adding a new book, before downloading metadata for it, at the top of the book details column on the right side there is a horrible default bluish representation for the cover, something like from 18th century. How can I change it to something watchable?
That is a just a default (place holder) when the file contains no (identified) cover. Use one of the methods to get a production cover.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Bigo2
Zealot

Yes, I understand. Can I somewhat change this default picture?

Last edited by Bigo2; 01-18-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can override the 'default_cover.png', by placing an image of your choosing with that name in the calibre configuration resources/images folder.

To get to the calibre configuration folder press the Open calibre configuration directory button in Preferences->Miscellaneous. I suspect you'll need to restart calibre for the change to take effect.

See User Manual ==>> Overriding icons, templates, et cetera

Basically everything in the install resources sub-directory can be overridden by a corresponding entry in the configuration resources sub-directory.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Bigo2
Zealot

Thanks BetterRed - that default_cover.png is horrible...

I just updated from 2.78 to 3.15.0, and all seems to be OK.

In 2014 I was trying to motivate the expert people to improve the Calibre with the following addition (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245434) saying:

…with Calibre database getting bigger it is becoming increasingly difficult quickly reaching the required Author or Title etc. I believe it would be quite helpful to have a permanent horizontal strip of buttons alphabetically organized, just under the main tool bar, something like: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z…

Kovid suggested this:

Use the virtual library feature for this. Create virtual libraries with the searches

title:~^A
title:~^B
title:~^C

and so on, then enable the virtual library tab bar and there you go.

I implemented it (I used Author:~^A etc., not title) and am using it since, even though there are some limitations like e.g. those "Close Tab" Xs if accidentally clicked, which also make the bar much longer…

Over the years this horizontal strip of alphabetic buttons proved to me very useful when listing through an extensive author database and I am quite surprised nobody tried to implement it as a selectable bar in Preferences!
Here is the example how it looks:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alphabet.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	161663  

Last edited by Bigo2; 01-18-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo2 View Post
Thanks BetterRed - that default_cover.png is horrible...
I agree, it's ghastly, so I changed mine back to the lovely Shiny Brown of yesteryear

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote