Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Maillemom
Connoisseur
Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook STG, Nook Color, Kindle, Kobo H2O
Mobi to ePub Problem

Good Evening - I'm new here so I hope that it is proper to ask this question.

I have a Kindle as well as a Nook Simple Touch Glow. There were two books on Amazon that were not available on B&N.

I purchased both of them, downloaded them into Kindle for PC and then opened Calibre as usual and converted them to ePub. I then copied the ePubs onto my Nook.

I can open both books but when I try to go to the next page on one of the books it automatically closes.

Can anyone give me an idea why this would happen?

Thanks in advance,
Trice
Maillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
You are most likely running afoul of Digital Rights Management (DRM) which is a fancy way of saying copy protection. The MobileRead forums do not allow discussion of ways to strip DRM from ebook files.

However, it may not be necessary. If you've already got the Kindle app, you should be able to load your books directly in that program without converting them.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemom View Post
I purchased both of them, downloaded them into Kindle for PC and then opened Calibre as usual and converted them to ePub. I then copied the ePubs onto my Nook.

I can open both books but when I try to go to the next page on one of the books it automatically closes.
Can you open the converted ePub's in Calibre's ebook viewer and if so do they work okay there? Or if you have Adobe Digital Editions on your computer do the ePub's open/read okay with it?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Maillemom
Connoisseur
Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
You are most likely running afoul of Digital Rights Management (DRM) which is a fancy way of saying copy protection. The MobileRead forums do not allow discussion of ways to strip DRM from ebook files.

However, it may not be necessary. If you've already got the Kindle app, you should be able to load your books directly in that program without converting them.
Thank you for answering. I prefer to read on my Nook with Glow Light as I read alot in the dark.

I know about DRM and what was causing me a problem was that one book converted fine and the other opens on the Nook but as soon as I try to turn the page it closes the book and returns to the library.

Trice
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Maillemom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Can you open the converted ePub's in Calibre's ebook viewer and if so do they work okay there? Or if you have Adobe Digital Editions on your computer do the ePub's open/read okay with it?
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I can view both books in Calibre's ebook viewer as well as in ADE. I haven't tried moving the book over with ADE. I should try that tonight.

Thanks again,
Trice
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

I can view both books in Calibre's ebook viewer as well as in ADE. I haven't tried moving the book over with ADE. I should try that tonight.

Thanks again,
Trice
Make sure that under epub output you have the "Split files larger than:" set to 260k or less.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-09-30 09:52:31.png
Views:	234
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	112419

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Maillemom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Make sure that under epub output you have the "Split files larger than:" set to 260k or less.
Attachment 112419

bernie
Thanks for the reply. I will look at that tonight.

Trice
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Thanks again,
Trice
Whatever is happening is crashing your readers book viewer when it reaches a certain point in the file (screen page 2). Calibre's viewer is tolerant of some errors that send the device off the deep end (lock up) or crash.

Try validating the EPUB with the W3C validation tool
if that passes
Validate the CSS

Does page 2 have an Image ?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Maillemom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Whatever is happening is crashing your readers book viewer when it reaches a certain point in the file (screen page 2). Calibre's viewer is tolerant of some errors that send the device off the deep end (lock up) or crash.

Try validating the EPUB with the W3C validation tool
if that passes
Validate the CSS

Does page 2 have an Image ?
Thanks for answering.

No page 2 does not have an image. I did explode a copy of the book and there were a few hyperlinks on the 2nd page but nothing that looked like it would make it error.

Trice
Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for answering.

No page 2 does not have an image. I did explode a copy of the book and there were a few hyperlinks on the 2nd page but nothing that looked like it would make it error.

Trice
Then Validate
Something is off (I suspect something funny might be happening with those links)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What Kindle format are these being converted from? AZW/Mobi, AZW3/KF8, Topaz?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote