Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #61
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Welcome to the Internet...Unless you want a government or interested party to not know a thing about you..... You should just go off the Grid, live on a mountain in an undisclosed location, with no electricity or address, then maybe few people will know about you. You could send emails to MR via random post offices to Switzerland c/o Alex.
"off the Grid"
I think too many people take the Jason Bourne series of movies too seriously.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There is also a big difference for people who are paranoid (or not?) about people legally accessing your data, at least in the US. Data on your own PC in your own home is protected by your fourth amendment rights, and requires a warrant to access. Data stored by an online provider is not, and requires only a subpoena, with a lower standard of proof required.
You can encrypt your data no matter where it is. To get the key requires a as much of a warrant with legal arguments on each side as a murder trial.

If I had such secrets that I was so worried, I would go even further. I would also hide the data.

How much can it be that is so important, unless you just happen to have the complete information on the theory and manufacturing of a hydrogen bomb and at least 1 sophisticated delivery system.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
If I had such secrets that I was so worried, I would go even further. I would also hide the data.
I keep all of my sensitive data in a folder labeled: "Secret Data - Keep Out"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #64
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I keep all of my sensitive data in a folder labeled: "Secret Data - Keep Out"
Right next to the file called "passwords.txt".

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
LOL - but of course
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #66
frahse
occasional author

"I keep all of my sensitive data in a folder labeled: Secret Data - Keep Out
tubemonkey
Graham

Don't forget the big red bulldog clip that holds the folders together and says IMPORTANT -EYES ONLY!

Last edited by frahse; 03-27-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #67
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
And the Big Top secret stamp on the outside of the folder
:-)
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #68
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the problem is .... Google is not great at Marketing.... I was in a huge electronics shop today...in Japan...where I live... Apple..(and I am not an apple fan).excellent marketing.. displays everywhere near the front of the shop....Nexus 7 had to look to find it. Nexus 10 still only available via google play.... chromebook had to ask a sales clerk where they were. GOOGLE needs to promote... granted they may like the Tsunami aproach...but they need to push it outside of North Amerika....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mointer View Post
It is a great product. It has been demonstrated something different.
Chromebook will be challenger for existing laptop.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
hidari
MR Drone

Unfortunately for Windows...they missed the boat...Surface finally......in Japan....but...maybe too little too late....
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #70
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Unfortunately for Windows...they missed the boat...Surface finally......in Japan....but...maybe too little too late....
Windows only has the inertia of its installed base going for it. Too much inbreeding in its management. Success ((at the company)) doesn't come from the marketplace, it comes from the boardrooms and hallways.

Look at Gates wife. Her big project was a failure, and she married the boss. On the other hand, maybe I am wrong about what her big project was.

Anyway, MS has inertia, has money, and has become stupid.

Last edited by frahse; 03-31-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #71
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Windows only has the inertia of its installed base going for it. Too much inbreeding in its management. Success doesn't come from the marketplace, it comes from the boardrooms and hallways.

Look at Gates wife. Her big project was a failure, and she married the boss. On the other hand, maybe I am wrong about what her big project was.

Anyway, MS has inertia, has money, and has become stupid.
Actually the Surface RT is a great machine and the Surface Pro even more so --- however, MS just doesn't understand consumer marketing. They built the infinitely better mouse trap -- but they have no idea how to get people to buy it.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #72
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Actually the Surface RT is a great machine and the Surface Pro even more so --- however, MS just doesn't understand consumer marketing. They built the infinitely better mouse trap -- but they have no idea how to get people to buy it.
I get your point though I don't quite agree with "the infinitely better" phrase.

My wife would say that is just a "semantics" disagreement, and of course she would be right as usual.

I would say MS did a pretty good job. Just like with their first tablet lo those many years ago. Just nobody much cares.

Only twice has MS impressed me. Once with W95 and then with WXP. (Well that is post dos at least.)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #73
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
the problem is .... Google is not great at Marketing.... I was in a huge electronics shop today...in Japan...where I live... Apple..(and I am not an apple fan).excellent marketing.. displays everywhere near the front of the shop....Nexus 7 had to look to find it. Nexus 10 still only available via google play.... chromebook had to ask a sales clerk where they were. GOOGLE needs to promote... granted they may like the Tsunami aproach...but they need to push it outside of North Amerika....
Actually, they need to push it INSIDE N.A. as well. I can't remember seeing ANY promotional material for it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #74
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Or learn enough about technology to be become untraceable.
No one knows THAT much about technology, the MOST you can hope for is becoming more trouble than you are worth. You are NOT untraceable to the leading edge of tracking technology, you are just not interesting enough to worry about.

Being boring, within the confines of this sort of discussion, is a good thing.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #75
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You look at "marketing" as Microsoft's flaw. There is some truth to that. But I believe that your premise that they "built the infinitely better mouse trap" is the greater flaw.

The Windows-mindset is primarily one of commoditization... where price is the overwhelming priority. Apple has been accused of catering to a boutique mindset. Those making the claims look no further than the raw specifications of the components included and place no value on things like device weight, device dimensions, and aluminum unibody.

Given that consumer expectation, Microsoft cannot release a product with no track record that in the consumer's mind has a boutique pricetag. Dumb.

Microsoft's failure with "Origami", Kin, perceived failure with Courier, poor press for Windows 8, significant loss of marketshare in the mobile space, and lack of longterm commitment to the Zune ecosystem, have a cumulative effect with consumers. Perhaps not directly with each individual consumer, but with those tech savvy consumers who are influencers.

Building a reputation takes time. Overcoming a poor reputation takes even more time. The tablet space is so competitive that Microsoft needed to hit a home run out of the gate. I don't know who the rocket scientist was at Microsoft that thought it was a good idea to take an overly ambitious gamble to merge the look and feel (but without software compatibility) between Windows Phone, Surface RT, Surface Pro, and Windows 8, but they should be thankful to still be employed.

Microsoft's corporate culture has calcified into a Fortune 500 mindset reminiscent of IBM in the late 70's. Until there is a cultural shakeup within, things will continue.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote