Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sure hope so. If they price the 32GB at $249, I'll probably get it.
That means the 16 GB will probably be around the $199 range. That's probably what I'll get.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
That means the 16 GB will probably be around the $199 range. That's probably what I'll get.
After Amazon introduced the Fire HD's at $199 (16GB) and $249 (32gb), I've been waiting for Google to match them. Now it looks like they might.

Without a card slot, 16GB is not viable for my needs; 32GB is.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The rumour I saw was that they will not sell the 16G at all.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #49
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
After Amazon introduced the Fire HD's at $199 (16GB) and $249 (32gb), I've been waiting for Google to match them. Now it looks like they might.

Without a card slot, 16GB is not viable for my needs; 32GB is.

Agreed. 32GB would be enough for me to get one for my son.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #50
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
At this point in the yearly release cycle I think I'll just wait for the next update.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #51
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The rumour I saw was that they will not sell the 16G at all.
And they would continue to sell the 8 GB? Or the 32 GB would be the only model?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #52
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And they would continue to sell the 8 GB? Or the 32 GB would be the only model?
Yes, continue with the 8G. See:

http://www.androidauthority.com/32gb...g-16gb-121296/

Quote:
Now we have a screenshot that flat out suggests that the 32GB model is meant to replace the existing 16GB Nexus 7 version, without any change to the price tag.

As flash memory becomes cheaper by the day, this isn’t that surprising. Thanks to the lack of microSD, Nexus 7 users can easily hit a wall with the 8GB and 16GB offerings if they download a lot of content directly to their devices. Having 32GB is still not nearly as exciting as a Nexus 7 with microSD, but you take what you can get.

You have to wonder though, why isn’t the 8GB model being phased out? You would think that having a 16GB and 32GB model might make more sense. The idea is probably to offer two very different size configurations to appeal to a broader range of consumers. The jump from 8 to 16GB isn’t all that much for the extra cost, but 8 to 32GB certainly makes an upgrade to the larger model more diserable. Those that don’t mind streaming and cloud storage will likely flock to buy a sub-$199 Nexus 7, and the existing price point for the 16GB model is more than fair for a 32GB model.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #53
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Is flash memory really getting cheaper by the day? That used to be the case as device memory jumped every 6 months from 4 to 8 to 16 and up to 64. But for the last two years we stopped and (in many cases) have even going backward (probably starting with the Kindle Fire). So there is no increased volume for larger sizes, why should flash memory get cheaper?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Their logic doesn't make sense. Granted 8 to 16 isn't much of a jump, but 16 to 32 is. If I was the type who was content with cloud storage, I'd rather get a 16GB Fire HD than a 8GB Nexus 7 for the same price.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Their logic doesn't make sense. Granted 8 to 16 isn't much of a jump, but 16 to 32 is. If I was the type who was content with cloud storage, I'd rather get a 16GB Fire HD than a 8GB Nexus 7 for the same price.
To me it seems to be the same jump, a doubling. Which is probably how most people will read it before buying.

How do you measure that a jump is big on your reasoning? Why is absolute value 16 a big jump but not 8? Is a jump from 116G to 132G a big jump? I really do not get your logic here.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
How do you measure that a jump is big on your reasoning? Why is absolute value 16 a big jump but not 8? Is a jump from 116G to 132G a big jump? I really do not get your logic here.
I measure by absolute value at the low ends.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #57
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I measure by absolute value at the low ends.
Yes, you can choose to measure in any way you want. But why is your method more logical than the method you criticized for not being logical?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yes, you can choose to measure in any way you want. But why is your method more logical than the method you criticized for not being logical?
Because 16 is bigger than 8.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #59
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because 16 is bigger than 8.
But that was not what you claimed. You said 8 was not "much of a jump" but 16 was. If 8-16 is not much of a jump then for me 16-32 is not much of a jump either.

It is hard to evaluate these kind of things but the reasoning in the blog entry is for me much more logical than your reasoning.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
But that was not what you claimed. You said 8 was not "much of a jump" but 16 was. If 8-16 is not much of a jump then for me 16-32 is not much of a jump either.

It is hard to evaluate these kind of things but the reasoning in the blog entry is for me much more logical than your reasoning.
Going from 8 to 16 is a jump of 8.
Going from 16 to 32 is a jump of 16.
16 is bigger than 8.
Whether you agree with it or not, his reasoning seems pretty clear.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote