Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
johnpoz
johnpoz is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle fire
"Changing any parameter on it could cripple TV and the Internet."

This is utter nonsense plain and simple -- Sorry but NOTHING you could do in your "wireless" settings could/would have anything to do with loss of your internet or TV connection (unless your tv was using wireless - <grin>)

"What you may be confusing is"

As I already posted, I am not worried about power saving - so no I am not confused at all. I shut down my wifi for 1 reason, and that is to not get ads in the game I might be playing

But to the battery life, I read somewhere that all the battery life times for the KF were with the wifi OFF.

yup here you go right on the amazon page for the KF, scroll down
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Am.../dp/B0051VVOB2

Battery Life Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

"There is no logical reason to keep manually disconneting devices from the network. " -- Again yes there is that has nothing to do with power anything, ads in games are pulled from the internet -- I don't want those ads! So not being connected to the internet makes it impossible for those ads to be displayed - very logical reason if you ask me to turn off the KF wireless when I am not using something that needs it.

"What you are saying is like telling someone to change their own car battery"

Uh no what I am saying is for the user to set if their lights auto turn off, or what display their trip meter shows, avg full usage, miles left in the tank. Do you want your wipers on high or low - or if you want speakers to play more in the front or back of the car. Or using the power adjustment of your side mirrors so that they provide the proper viewing angle for the person driving the car.

The wireless settings on the router are there for the "consumer/user" of that said router to set how they need/want them set. It is NOTHING at all like doing mech maint on your car -- no where did I suggest the user change out the firmware of their router, or change anything that is not a simple easy drop down setting that is "designed" to be adjusted per the needs of the user of that device.

Have you adjusted the brightness or volume on your KF? Have you adjusted the font size to suite you on your KF? There you go the wireless settings on a router are NO different than those sorts of settings! Can you break your KF by adjusting the font size?? I don't think so

edit:
"If you get ATT TV, you are required to use their Residential Gateway."

But there is NOTHING saying you can not adjust the wireless setting to your needs, nor is there anything saying that you even need to use that wireless portion of their device. You can go to your local computer store and buy as many wireless accesspoints/wireless routers you want to connect wireless devices to your network. Just like you can buy different floor mats for your car, or tint your windows or put on a bug bra on the front of it.

Last edited by johnpoz; 01-18-2012 at 06:20 PM.
johnpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Okay, you convinced me. Starting today I'll leave WiFi on at night when I sleep for upgrades. BBMP shows no WiFi power usage when Screen is turned off. During the day I'll leave WiFi off unless I am using the Weather Channel or syncing. I'll only sync at end of day or if using the Kindle Kbd or Kindle 4 PC.

Its likely that, when the Screen is on with WiFi also on, the WiFi is doing all kinds of things like syncing every second which would not happen when the Screen is off. BBMP shows when both are on they use the same amount of current and when in Sleep Mode neither uses any current.

That will minimize my use of the WiFi On/Off switch to avoid connection errors from overuse. I don't have ads for the programs I use (chess, eBooks, bibles) and only get them when I access The Weather Channel.

So far per BBMP I am getting between 4:16 and 5:03 screen use before charging between 15% and 30% of remaining charge. Amazon does show a maximum of 8 hours with WiFi off. However, I don't run it down to zero charge. I should get between 5:36 and 6:48 theoretically. I'll know after the next charge cycle.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #18
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Same here! Good ole Linksys.
Yep, just the other day I changed the firmware from Tomato to DD-WRT. Works pretty well, I've had this router for about 8 years now. I'm shocked it still works.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Yep, just the other day I changed the firmware from Tomato to DD-WRT. Works pretty well, I've had this router for about 8 years now. I'm shocked it still works.
Let's see I got mine in 2006. It still works fine. I updated the firmware a few years ago.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Let's see I got mine in 2006. It still works fine. I updated the firmware a few years ago.
The only problem I have with mine is that it will reboot sometimes for no reason. Most of the time I don't notice it, but it's a pain when I'm trying to log how much bandwidth I'm using.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
The only problem I have with mine is that it will reboot sometimes for no reason. Most of the time I don't notice it, but it's a pain when I'm trying to log how much bandwidth I'm using.
Mine doesn't have any issues.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote