Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
VladGen
VladGen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
How does the stats working on Kobo ?

Hello !

I just purchased a Kobo Clara HD and I'm a bit disappointed by the e-reader. I bought it because I need to know the time I'll need to finish my chapter.

But I'm not sure if the stats are working the way I think. I mean, does it count the time you read the words or really a page ? If I change the font size, it will obviously not be the same time for a page to be read.

So I'm here to ask you, how does it work exactly ?

Have a nice day ^^
VladGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Think it only works when you use the kepub format i believe. I think it works by stating the average reading times when you start and then when you start reading it will time the amount of page your read so that the overal time will be adjusted. The fact that you use a bigger font doesn't mean you need to read less words.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I was under the impression it was calculating it based on words, not pages, but it's been a while since I've looked at this. Note that since 4.22.15190, it'll also remove outliers in the last quartile.

Last edited by geek1011; 10-01-2020 at 09:53 AM.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
VladGen
VladGen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello, thank you two for your answers.

I tried to change the font-size and it seems it doesn't scale on it. For the last two pages I put a really big font and my stats change from 1 page per minute to 1.4 page per minute. So I'm really not sure about it.

It's ok if I stick to a font and a size, but I like to see different font in my differents book

Anyway thank you
VladGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Thaihugo
Thaihugo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
I think everybody is right in this thread.
Using a stat of page per minute will be influenced by the size of the word.
However, Kobo firmware has a special ability which is available only if you convert you epub book to kepub using calibre or a specific program available on the forum.
In this case, you gat a new icon with stats when you read your book. It tells you how many minutes there is to finish your chapter, and you can add this info to the top or the bottom of the page in the options, instead of the page number for example. In this case, the minute will be an estimate of your reading speed, and will not be influenced by font size as you will read faster every page.

I hope this clarify thinks a bit. You lose options if your ebook is not in the kepub format.
Thaihugo is offline   Reply With Quote