Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Disappearing "Back" button at the top

First, I need to disclose that I am proficient with Kindles and a noob with Nooks.

Kindles have the "back" button that lets you backtrack after following hyperlinks to the initial position. I've noticed that after following a hyperlink for an endnote or footnote on my Nook C, there appears a "Back" button at the top; however, it disappears after a couple of seconds and I am stuck at the footnote and have no way (that I can see) to return to where I was. How do I bring back that "Back" button? What am I missing?

Another variation. If I follow the link and make several page turns, can I retrace to the place before I followed the hypelink?

Also after I follow several hypelinks in a row, is there a way to backtrack all the way to my initial position (many steps back, not one)?

While my questions are about Nook Color, I would also like to know about the regular Nook. Does it allow going back after following hyperlinks?

P.S. Yes, I searched before posting.

Last edited by osnova; 01-29-2011 at 05:36 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Snard
Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
First, I need to disclose that I am proficient with Kindles and a noob with Nooks.

Kindles have the "back" button that lets you backtrack after following hyperlinks to the initial position. I've noticed that after following a hyperlink for an endnote or footnote on my Nook C, there appears a "Back" button at the top; however, it disappears after a couple of seconds and I am stuck at the footnote and have no way (that I can see) to return to where I was. How do I bring back that "Back" button? What am I missing?

Another variation. If I follow the link and make several page turns, can I retrace to the place before I followed the hypelink?

Also after I follow several hypelinks in a row, is there a way to backtrack all the way to my initial position (many steps back, not one)?

While my questions are about Nook Color, I would also like to know about the regular Nook. Does it allow going back after following hyperlinks?

P.S. Yes, I searched before posting.
At least on the books I've read so far with footnote links, I've found that the footnote itself is a link back to the original paragraph which linked to the footnote.

I too have found that the "Back" button goes away too quickly
Snard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snard View Post
At least on the books I've read so far with footnote links, I've found that the footnote itself is a link back to the original paragraph which linked to the footnote.

I too have found that the "Back" button goes away too quickly
That's a good workaround when there is one-per-one correspondence between the starting position and destination. Plus it requires that the book be coded that way.

However, when the starting positions per each destination are multiple, then this workaround will not work.

I've read about this "finger swiping" motion at the botton that's supposed to be a back replacement; however, for me it just exits the reader.

I've also read that people make a bookmark before they follow a link, then return to that bookmark; however, there must be something better.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Am I the only one who has come across this issue?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Yeah, I hate this and I had a book the other day that didn't have a quick link back so I had to manually find my way back when I hit the footnote. The original nook doesn't have this issue and I wish the color could be updated to either have the back option stay longer or have a back option we can bring up in the menu.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Thankyou, it hadn't occured to me to use the footnote to get back to the page and I was getting a little frustrated.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
solid13
solid13 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
Workaround for disappearing "Back" button

I just found a workaround for the disappearing Back button issue. I kept my thumb pressed against the Back button without depressing it while I was reading the content that I hyperlinked to. The back button timed out and disappeared after a few seconds as usual (even though my thumb was still on it), but when I was finished reading I depressed my thumb and it automatically activated the "Back" function and took me back to the section I had hyperlinked from.
Still pretty cumbersome, I know, but it's the best solution I've heard so far. Hopefully Barnes & Noble will fast track a fix to this completely ridiculous and glaringly obvious flaw.
solid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Wow, that's ridiculous. On my Nook Touch, the back button doesn't disappear after a few seconds, but it does disappear if I turn the page, which is annoying if the footnote continues onto the next page. However, the footnote link does go back to the original position, as others have noted. This will make the "back" button pop up at the top of the page again, but if you swipe down from the top of the screen to the bottom, it will make everything except the text (including title, time, menu buttons, highlights, etc) go away.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Another workaround is to set a highlight or note on the page before you jump. If you get 'lost', you can navigate back using the Contents panel. Then remove the highlight and continue.

Bookmarks don't work as well since they seem to mark the start of a 'logical' page, which often spans more than one 'physical' page.

But yes, the Back feature is not really well thought out. There's even an entirely separate Back feature if you use the page navigation control to jump.

(this is for Nook Simple Touch).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote