Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Gradientone
Gradientone began at the beginning.

Device: None
Can't decide: K3 vs Cybook Gen3

Hi

I'm finally looking to buy my first e-reader, and I *think* I've narrowed it down to the K3 or the Gen3

My main issue with the Kindle is the obviously the file formats. I'll be using a fair amount of ePub files, are format converters like Calibre any good? Obviously getting a Gen3 would solve this, but is it really worth £100 more?

Are there any readers I've overlooked?
Main things I'm looking for:
6" screen (at least)
Good usability
Wi-fi
Obviously format support would be nice, but if converting isn't much hassle then I don't mind
Portability isn't important

Also I'm from the UK so the Nook etc isn't an option.
Gradientone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Cybook Gen3 is priced outrageously high. If your books in ePub don't have DRM, Calibre works quite well to convert them. And if they don't, learning how to strip DRM from those files is definitely worth the 100 pound difference.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Both are very good devices; I'm sure you'd be happy with either. It is difficult to argue with the low price of the Kindle 3 - it is a very good reader indeed. As has been mentioned, it is easy to convert ePub files to Mobi format, and they normally convert very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Gradientone
Gradientone began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you!

Kindle it is then, I was leaning towards it too, just needed a second opinion.
Gradientone is offline   Reply With Quote