Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Does anyone know how to tell if a book is in Topaz format?

I've so far stuck only to free books on Amazon. Not all of them easily have their DRM stripped (I have a Sony Reader and have to strip the DRM in order to read it on my Reader) but since they were free, I didn't care all that much. There is a book however I have my eye on and unfortunately for some stupid reason the author or publisher decided to make it exclusive to Amazon in an e version. So, I've been debating buying it and seeing whether or not it will work to strip the DRM and get it onto my Reader, but I don't want to waste my time (and money) if it's not likely to work. The book I'm interested in is The Great Terror, so if anyone knows, please let me know (and as far as I know, where I live, stripping the DRM for personal use is legal as long as I own the book, so no legal issues here. It's not like I'm trying to send it off to 50,000 of my best friends. I just want to be able to make use of it if I pay for it.).

Thanks,

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
From what I've read here in the past:
1) if it doesn't show a file size, it may be Topaz.
2) if it shows the number of pages, it may be Topaz.

That book satisfies both of those criteria.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If there is no file size listed it's Topaz in my experience, so yes the book you're looking at appears to be Topaz. That's also likely why it's exclusive to Amazon, Amazon creates the Topaz books for the publisher so they don't likely have any ebook version to make available elsewhere.

This thread may be of some interest...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41276

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Great Terror is in TOPAZ format. The simplest way to tell is to look for File Size under Product Details. If this is missing (as in this case) it is almost certainly a TOPAZ. I also downloaded the sample to my PC and it was in a .tpz file.

It is possible to strip the DRM from TOPAZ, but it then needs additional work to get the ebook in shape for (say) reading as an ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Oh well. Thanks for letting me know. I did see some mention in various places of ways to strip from Topaz, but it's supposed to be really complicated and frankly, while I'm interested, I'm not that interested. . .

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
Oh well. Thanks for letting me know. I did see some mention in various places of ways to strip from Topaz, but it's supposed to be really complicated and frankly, while I'm interested, I'm not that interested. . .

Eric
From what I hear, because I would never violate the law, it involves using two python programs in sequence, then importing into Calibre...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
From what I hear, because I would never violate the law, it involves using two python programs in sequence, then importing into Calibre...
And also going in and adding in things like italics by hand (unless something's changed).
Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
And also going in and adding in things like italics by hand (unless something's changed).
As I understand, you can't do anything like that, because topaz books are images of the pages. As such, you can't change the text at all.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
As I understand, you can't do anything like that, because topaz books are images of the pages. As such, you can't change the text at all.
When you remove the DRM you get files that come from the OCR and can be edited as well as image files.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
From what I've read here in the past:
1) if it doesn't show a file size, it may be Topaz.
2) if it shows the number of pages, it may be Topaz.
Okay, is anyone else hearing this in Jeff Foxworthy's voice?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Okay, is anyone else hearing this in Jeff Foxworthy's voice?
is that dude even still around?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
is that dude even still around?
Yes, he hosts a dumb game show where adults are opposed against 5th grade children, then both sides are asked "trivia" questions that would be fresh on the minds of grade-school children but 20+ years stale of the adults. Then people are supposed to be somehow impressed or entertained that the 5th-graders have a better recall of grade-school classroom material than adults have a recall of grade-school classroom material.

It is aimed at the same IQ demographic as his former stand-up humor.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Easily confirmed by (not quite) downloading a sample. The easy way is to (from a computer) select "transfer to computer" and when the save dialog menu pops up you will see either:

book_name.tpz

or

book_name.azw1
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote